Author Topic: Infection is back - I am weary  (Read 29949 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Infection is back - I am weary
« on: December 11, 2009, 07:49:25 pm »
I am so frustrated!  After 3 surgeries, a PICC line in February, mega oral antibiotics, wound debriedment (?), and lastly a titanium plate, the wound started to open up and the nastiness ensued a few weeks before Thanksgiving.  My neurosurgeon's office called yesterday and said that the culture is an exact match of the February staph infection.   I'm not on mega doses of Augmentin and am awaiting the 2nd test results to tell us what specific antibiotic address this type of staph.  I am so over it, I can not begin to tell ya. 

So, today was the breast biopsy and next Tuesday will hear the results of this next hurdle.  I never was a track and field player, but I feel like I should get some kind of trophy for hurdles jumped in a given year!!  I fully intend to keep leaping over them and not let them knock me down, but geez, I kinda tired of all this......

A few good things - 2 days after my antibiotics started, I was fever free and feeling pretty darn good!  My husband's family from Kentucky (all 14 of them) come to our house tomorrow for an early Christmas and I love them all dearly, so that will be a wonderful distraction. They all came to Cincinnati the night before my original surgery in January...we played games til the wee hours of the morning, and they stayed with my husband and kids until I was finally in recovery.  Never dreamed that almost a year later, we would still be talking about my health issues, but it's not like I've got much of a choice here, right?

Have any of you heard of this stubborn staph infection that just won't go away?  How can it not be detected in multiple blood tests over the past months?  I don't read much about infection on this site - and from me to all of you, I'm glad most of you don't have this to contend with...but any experiences with this crap over this long period of time that might be informative would be appreciated - kinda feeling a little bit alone here.

Frustrated in Ohio,

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Jackie

Re: Infection is back - I am weary
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 08:00:27 pm »
Hello Kathy,

I am so sorry for all the problems you have had and continue with and I will be praying for your relief of all of it so you may go on and enjoy life again! Your spirit is strong and you will get through it, just wanted you to know that we care and you are not alone in this journey! Sending my very best for a quick solution, so you can enjoy your loved ones!
Prayers have begun,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 08:14:14 pm »
My prayers are with you, you have gone through so much in a year I wish I had an answer for the staph infection but the internet has so much information I hope you find a site or maybe some of the nurses on the AN forum may be able to help you and now you also have to deal with the breast biopsy !  Thank goodness family is coming to help you and also help to keep your mind off things which I can imagine will still be very difficult for you.  Please keep us posted there will be more replies to your post and also more prays.

My thoughts and prayers again are with you,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

mssophy

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 11:00:26 pm »
Hi Kathy,

I am a newbie and completely understand your frustration with the hurdles in 2009. In June my husband and I moved in with my in-laws to save money to buy a home and 2 days after we moved in, my mother in-law died unexpectedly from a heart attack. In July, my husband decided that he wanted a separation. In August, I found out my father has lung cancer. Lastly, in October I was diagnosed with a freakin' brain tumor! Really? Are you kidding me? I feel ya.

But....while we may not be earning a trophy, we sure are showing our kids how to make lemonade when you're handed lemons! I focus all the negative energy and get down on the floor and play with my 20 month old daughter until we both laugh til it hurts!

You are blessed to have your family there with you during this journey (that seems to never end...lol). Live in the present and the rest will fall into place.

Best wishes and my prayers are with you.

Sophia
Sophia (mssophy) age 36
1.3 cm AN left side diagnosed 10/20/09. Was undecided then surgery was postponed due to pregnancy. Tumor removed 02/14/12 at USC. Deaf in AN ear. Baha implant but no device yet. New symptoms in 2014; possible regrowth; pending MRI

opp2

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 02:50:30 am »
http://kidshealth.org/teen/infections/bacterial_viral/staph.html

try looking here for some answers. We all have staph on our bodies, all the time. Unfortunately with a serious wound such as yours, it becomes harder to avoid infections from such an abundant flora supply.

I feel for you. This must be just so frustrating for you.

Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 09:45:25 am »
Kathy -

this is so unbelieveable after all you've been through  :(

I hope they find a solution to this problem soon and you can get on with other things.

We're thinking of you and praying that this infection will be gone fast.

Enjoy your early Christmas.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 10:13:47 am »
Kathy,

I can't believe it!  You definitely deserve some sort of large award for all you've been through this year!

Did the doctor give you anything topical to put on the area?  I know bactroban works well on some of the tougher forms of staph in addition to the antibiotics.  I don't know if you have any open areas though and I'm not sure you could use it on an open area.  You'd have to check with the doctor on that one.  I'm not well versed on "skin things" as they are not my favorite thing to deal with. (yes, even nurses can be squeamish about some things!).

I don't really have any other advice.  Have you seen anyone other than your neuro?  Like maybe an infectious disease doc?

I hope this round of antiobiotics takes care of it for you and that next year is smooth sailing for you.  Sounds like you've been through enough to last a lifetime!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sobes

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 10:26:34 am »
Hi Kathy,

So sorry to hear that you are having trouble...please know that I've said a prayer for your healing and will continue to pray for you! You will be in my thoughts :)

Bren~
Small AN, left side, Oct. 22 2009
Surgery Dec. 22 @ UW Madison (wonderful doctors)
SSD (left side)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 03:33:04 pm »
Kathy ~

If anyone has a right to be weary, it's you!  I'm so sorry to learn of this latest infection you're dealing with, along with your other health issues.  You certainly have our collective sympathy, virtual hugs and good vibes along with the prayers of many.  I hope your family Christmas celebrations are both fun and comforting.    You sure deserve a respite. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

texsooner

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 03:38:24 pm »
Kathy, sorry I can't help with the staph infection. You've definitely had more than your fair share to deal with in the last year or so. You have proven however that you can handle and overcome tough circumstances. I'll be praying that continue to come out on top of these medical issues. Have a great Christmas with family.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 04:53:21 pm »
Kathy .....

I am so sorry you are having such an awful time with the staph infections.  They can be miserable things to get rid of sometimes.  First thought I had was:  is there a wound clinic nearby?  This is really a specialized field that often can work wonders with resistant infections.

Donnalynn .....  I have a friend who has total faith in colloidal silver.  He has severe and deforming rheumatoid arthritis and has great difficulty with sores healing.  My father was a proponent of the healing qualities of honey, as well.  (Must be a northern thing!   :D)

Kathy, I hope and pray that you will have relief from all of this soon!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 08:49:19 pm »
Kathy, I am so sorry you are having to deal with this again!  I know staph infections can be very stubborn and hard to get rid of, but this is ridiculous.  You most certainly qualify for sainthood, but I am very sure you would rather be just normal and healthy.  My prayers go out to you.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 10:53:49 pm »
I will take the blame for this, I haven't sent you a hat.  :-[

Keep munching on those antibiotics like they were candy, this staph deal needs to go. And infection or not, 'tis the season to be jolly, so try to keep smiling.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 12:09:45 am »
Kathy my friend,

I'm so sorry that the infection is back. You've definitely been through the wringer this year!!  Now, that's enough already.

I pray the latest round of antibiotics do the trick.

Let me know if you need anything. 

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 12:50:11 am »
Am sending you lots of good wishes...hope this clears up and FAST...
Tricia (horsekayak)-Diagnosed 8/10/09
1.5 cm right side AN
Gainesville, GA (near horses and Lake Lanier)
Linac radiosurgery at Shands Hospital/Univ of Florida  12/1/09  Go Gators!!!

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way"...BT Washington