Author Topic: Worried  (Read 2915 times)

Nani

• It's not rocket science. Just brain surgery.
Worried
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:47:27 pm »
  I know I haven't posted in a while, but life got carried away.  So I found an ENT who thinks I am a good candidate for BAHA.  He told me something my neurologist didn't - My tumor had a 2mm regrowth in Aug.  I was told by my ENT in the end of November.  I know it's only 2mm.  It could be an error.  But I'm still ticked.  I have another MRI on the 9th and my ENT is going to review the results with me at our appointment on the 22nd.  Because I don't trust my neurologist right now. 

I'm also worried because I have had those dull, throbbing headaches lately.  My balance is getting bad again.  My eyesight is getting blurry.  I am always hot.  I remember before my surgery, I was always hot.  I have my MRI Wednesday, and I'm scared of what I'm going to hear.  I feel like I already know I'm going to be setting up radiation that day.
- AN surgery 3-17-09. 3.8 x 5.1cm tumor.  1 month in the hospital and a couple in ST, OT and PT.

*People are always going to be behind you telling you you can't.  The important thing is to turn around and say 'watch me'.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: Worried
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:51:10 pm »
Nani,

Waiting for the MRI results is always stressful.  As you already identified...2 millimeters is nothing, it could just be error between readers of the MRI. 

Please try to be patient and not stress...  I would suggest not taking any actions until your absolutely sure that something has changed.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:54:29 pm »
Nani .....

Sorry you are having to deal with a possible regrowth!  Please keep in mind that 2mm is well within the margin of error from one MRI to the next or even one radiologist's reading to the next.  Try to keep your mind on something else until your appointment on the 22nd ..... although I know that is easier said than done.

I am still sitting on the proverbial "pins and needles" until my next MRI, which is not until next February because the last MRI in February this year showed possible regrowth.  Most of the time I can put it out of my mind but when I am tired and my symptoms get worse, I think about it again.

Thoughts and prayers that it is not regrowth.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Nani

• It's not rocket science. Just brain surgery.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:52:04 pm »
  I dream of the day I can go a year w/o a MRI.  I'm jealous, though I don't envy your wait.  I'd go nuts.
- AN surgery 3-17-09. 3.8 x 5.1cm tumor.  1 month in the hospital and a couple in ST, OT and PT.

*People are always going to be behind you telling you you can't.  The important thing is to turn around and say 'watch me'.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:53:08 pm »
Nani -

I'm sorry to hear that you think you may have regrowth.  But, try not to worry until you know for sure.  Lots of times people worry needlessly. 

Hearing you are a candidate for the BAHA is great news.  It's common knowledge on the forum that I absolutely adore my BAHA - and although they aren't for everyone - I've yet to find someone who has one who regretted having the implant surgery.

Please let us know what your MRI results show.  In the meantime, I'll keep you in my prayers.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 02:00:24 am »
Nani

My 1 year post OP MRI showed something 3mm ,even though the Surgeon said he removed the tumor completely.  Everyone (ENT, Surgeon and Radiologist) said that it could be scar tissue or regrowth and scheduled a MRI for 18 months postOP, it showed the same 3mm white spot (growth or scar tissue).  I have an appt. in Feb. 2010 for a 2 1/2 year MRI.  I' m hoping that its scar tissue and not regrowth they all say that they look the same on an MRI.  Ask your ENT if it could be scar tissue.  Good luck with your next MRI and BAHA.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 06:23:38 am »
Hi Nani,

I wanted to offer you my support. It's really difficult to wait for MRI results, buy hey, just think you have done it before, you are a pro now and hopefully, it will not be anything. You got this far, just one breath at a time. Hang in there.

Vivian

CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 06:48:02 am »
Nani,

I'm sorry to hear that you are facing the possibility of a regrowth, ugh.  I'm hoping and praying that the 2mm is  just scar tissue.   As for your symptoms, hopefully there will be some other explanation.  As Jan said, try not to worry for now, easier said than done I know.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 09:08:05 am »
Hi Nani
I just basically went thru what u are going thru...the transcript from surgery stated that they left two small strands on nerve to save the facial nerve...then WAM, I get the MRI report which shows a 1.6 residual tumor...and I go into a stupor as the last MRI before surgery reported it at 1.4cm.... I still havent gotten an answer from my neurosurgeron as to the discrepancy but will attack my ENT when I see him next week.  Neuro said tumor was more like 1.8-2.0 cms going into surgery and the 1.6 is the tumor he left behind to be radated at a later date if it grows...Well now I have to wait until May for my next MRI to see what is happening...
One day at a time, one step at a time...lets hope it IS scar tissue.
Funny how we 'feel'l new symptons when we think there is regrowth...I'm getting the novacain feelin on my AN side...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 12:30:15 pm »
Nani ~

I'm so sorry to learn that you're suffering from the very natural anxiety that the thought of a possible re-growth causes.  Like everyone that has posted on this thread, I hope and pray that this is simply a 'scare' based on the usual 2 mm margin of error inherent in MRI scans.  However, if you do have to employ radiation, it isn't all that stressful - and usually quite effective.

I underwent a 'debulking' surgery (reducing the overall size of the tumor) then 26 FSR sessions that seem to have 'killed' the (remaining) AN.  This was a planned two-step procedure but the point is that it was successful and today (over 3 years later), I'm fine.  I think that, should radiation be in your immediate future, you will be, too.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 12:40:20 pm »
I'm also hoping that it is just scar tissue my prayers our with you.

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 08:58:29 pm »
as hard as this is to do , relax. i dang near drove myself NUTS the few weeks b4 my surgery.

i'm an Engineer and an Educator now. you let me think about something for awhile and i'll come up with the symptoms.  ;D

2 mm as others have said is in the margin of error. so it may be nothing at all. Let's focus on that one, nothing at all.

its easier on my brain anyway. deep breath go kick a pillow yell at hubby then relax .
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here