Author Topic: Positive note  (Read 7918 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Positive note
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 07:08:27 am »
I'd also like to thank some of the fine folks here like Jim, Phyl, Jan, Steve, Lori, Kaybo, Clarice, Rich & Scarlet, fellow Houston area forumites Brenda and Pooter and many others for their wisdom and words of encouragement to me and many others. You guys are the best. Just wanted to say thanks.   

Patrick, no thanks is needed! That's why we're here, THRILLED to hear positive news and as you know me by now... You Rawk! :)  Well done.... continued wellness wishes your way.....  truly enjoy hearing good news! :)

Happy holidays to you!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Keri

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 10:38:18 am »
Bob and Kay - great points you made.

Patrick - thank you also for the positive thread. And great job on your upcoming half marathon!! Good for you! Let us know how it goes. My husband was in Houston a few years ago for the race. Sounds like fun!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 11:11:22 am »
I'm glad we are talking about positive things.  I usually feel guilty because I had a meningioma instead of an AN, which meant that I didn't have the same balance or hearing issues as so many of you.  In that respect, my recovery was easier, but I made up for that with the meningitis and the PICC line! :D  I am back at work, and when I think about how my surgery was one year ago tomorrow, I am amazed at how normal my life is.  There were some bumps in the road, but I am fine in my new, slightly altered form.  I am more appreciative of my blessings, and rarely take my health for granted these days.  Every day is a gift. and I remind myself of that every morning when I open my eyes to a new day. 

I'm with the rest of you....life is what you make it!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Keri

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 02:26:04 pm »
Hey Patrick!
You go get 'em on Sunday. Good luck on your half marathon! How will the weather be?
I bet Laura (allegro17) will be running Houston as well.

Keep us posted!
Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

texsooner

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 05:53:19 am »
Thanks Keri. Looks like the weather is going to be good for running on Sunday. It's been raining here the last couple of days, but it's supposed to clear out this afternoon. It's supposed to be starting out around 40 degrees, then warming up into the 50's later in the morning. If I finish this one okay, may try to be like you and run the full marathon next year.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 02:14:29 pm »
Good luck, Patrick!!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 08:24:28 am »
Hi folks. I finished and surpassed my goal in the Houston Half Marathon. My goal was to beat last year's time and I did that easily (by 8 minutes). Below are my times in running this event for the last 3 years:

Jan 2008 - 1:58 (pre-AN surgery...didn't even know what an acoustic neuroma was)
Jan 2009 - 2:06 (4 months post AN surgery)
Jan 2010 - 1:58 (16 months post AN surgery...finished in top 15% of all runners)

Further proof that things can get back to normal after AN surgery. Going to try my first full marathon next year as I celebrate being a half century old.

Thanks for all the encouragement.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 10:31:42 am »
Looks like you can't keep a good man down!  We are proud of both your efforts and your accomplishment!  :)
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Keri

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 10:37:40 am »
Great job, Patrick!

Good luck on that marathon training! I'll be 50 as well (later this year) and will sign up to run a marathon around my birthday. Let us know how your training is going. And I guess you'll be back to doing your biking stuff too.

Thanks for inspiring others. Even if you don't do a half marathon or marathon and you get out and walk or something - it's all good and it's nice to know what you can do post AN.

Keri
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 02:22:48 pm »
Patrick ~

Just reading about running that long, that fast makes me tired so, all I can do is offer my sincere congratulations on your achievement.  As for turning 50, you're still a youngster to folks my age.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 03:29:18 pm »
Wow, how awesome!  Hope to get back into it some day soon......
Good for you!
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 05:18:16 pm »
Wooo Wooo!  Congrats Patrick!  I haven't been brave enough to sign up for the Houston Half yet, but I'm tempted to force myself..  You done good, my friend..

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 08:18:24 pm »
Patrick -

as Phyl would say "you rawk"  ;D

Congrats!!!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 08:34:58 pm »
Patrick -

as Phyl would say "you rawk"  ;D

Congrats!!!

Jan

What Jan said!  ;D  ;)

well done, Patrick! :) Well done!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"