Author Topic: Taste bud problem- has anyone had this?  (Read 4402 times)

alisaandree

Taste bud problem- has anyone had this?
« on: April 26, 2005, 06:24:36 am »
Hi All,
I am having a weird problem and I wonder if anyone else had this. My surgery was 10/11 weeks ago and I still have a lingering issue with my mouth. My tongue tastes like a rusty cookie sheet-all of the time- 24/7. Food is not enjoyable. Actually sugar is enjoyable but spicy food and things like Doritos are awful to eat. I went to my surgeon and he had never heard of any mouth problems as a result of AN surgery. I went to my family doctor and he said a nerve must have been affected during surgery and give it some time. I believe he is right because one side of my tongue is definitely worse than the other. Perhaps the one side is causing this whole problem. Has anyone heard of this?
Thanks,
Alisa Andree

Mhicks26

Re: Taste bud problem- has anyone had this?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 07:01:55 am »
Hi Alisa,
My surgery was ov er 3 years ago and I still have that horrible taste in the right side of my mouth.  But my Doc's told me it could take 6 months to a year for your facial nerve to heal completely.  I hope you have better like than I did.  In any case you sort of get used to it after a while.

Michelle

sirialison

Re: Taste bud problem- has anyone had this?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 01:14:14 pm »
I had this prior to surgery and STILL have it now...the taste I have in my mouth is sometimes metallic, sometimes salty (already had this checked out and it's NOT a CSF leak) and sometimes I have no taste at all! The worst is when it tastes like something died in my mouth! I was told it might take some time (this is a familiar response to many of my inquiries) for this to correct itself, if it corrects itself at all. This has been a major struggle for me as I really LIKE food and nothing seems to taste how I remember! I've gained weight  because I find myself eating, eating, eating in hopes that I can find something that tastes good to me!

One thing I've found that helps a little is to drink lots of water, use sugarless mints, chew sugarless gum (I know it's a no-no for those of us with recovering facial nerves but....). It's doesn't totally solve the problem but it helps to mask the bad tastes a bit. It has also help me with my dental health as well. I found that I was brushing my teeth too often and too vigorously (trying to get that taste OUT!) and was starting to have some significant "oral" problems.

Anybody else have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Siri Meyer
3.5 cm left side AN
Retro-sig surgery
@ Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
November 24, 2004