Author Topic: Testing Phonak FM system  (Read 2290 times)

CNY

Testing Phonak FM system
« on: November 25, 2009, 08:31:13 am »
I'm taking a 45 day test drive with a Phonak FM system: wireless FM microphone (zoomlink+) worn by the speaker or positioned on the table to pick up sounds.  I have normal hearing in one ear, deaf in the other after translab surgery last May.  I use a small earpiece with a tube that transmits sound into my ear (iSense Micro).

I've only had it for 2 days but I found it very helpful in a noisy restaurant: my wife wore the mic & sat next to my SSD side.  I was able to hear her well despite the background music etc. 

I'm still experimenting with the best way to position the microphone -- it does take assertiveness to let the speaker know that you would hear better if they wore the mic.  The microphone has multiple settings depending upon whether you are trying to listen to just one speaker or multiple people around a conference table.

I know the phonak FM system also works with hearing aid systems -- the microphone sends the FM transmission to the hearing device.

I decided to try this before considering BAHA surgery.  I know it won't resolve all single side deafness issues but so far it is helping with my hearing at home and work.

-Greg.
Translab @House 5/14/09 (2 cm)

CNY

update Re: Testing Phonak FM system
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 09:40:10 am »
I'm happy with my FM system.

I use it at work -- placing the microphone on my SSD side of the conference table, giving it to people to wear when they are making a presentation or when we are taking a walking tour.

At home: I place the zoomlink microphone next to the TV & can hear the dialogue better. It works really well in noisy restaurants -- either having one person wear it or placing the microphone strategically on the table.

I don't wear the earpiece when I am alone.  I also take out the earpiece when I am on the phone-- I think there is an attachment for cell phones but I don't use them much.

I haven't had any feedback problems.  I also don't have tinnitus (but I did pre-surgery).

I think some people would benefit from this approach.  I wasn't ready to even think about another procedure for the BAHA implant.

The earpiece is comfortable for me-- it works really well with a winter hat: the hat seems to help hold the earpiece in place and I can hear even better.  I also notice that my SSD ear seems to get colder this winter -- maybe a side-effect of the surgery?

--Greg
Translab @House 5/14/09 (2 cm)

lori67

Re: Testing Phonak FM system
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:47:08 am »
Thanks for this info, Greg.

I talked to my audiologist about this system too.  I have a BAHA, but noisy restaurants and meetings are still difficult.  He told me he had a patient who has one and attaches one of the microphones with velcro to the liner on the roof of her minivan so she can hear her kids when they sit all the way in the back.  (I would probably prefer to NOT hear mine).

It's not something I think I'll invest in right now, since I'm staying home with my kids, but most likely something I'll want in the future.  Maybe the price will come down a bit by then!

Thanks again!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.