Author Topic: Attention Pre-ops!!! How to prevent headaches!!!  (Read 14327 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Attention Pre-ops!!! How to prevent headaches!!!
« on: November 22, 2009, 12:30:04 pm »
Please talk to your doc about head positioning during your surgery, especially if you have occipital headaches or a bad neck.  Talk him into positioning your head FIRST, before you are put under.  I firmly believe that the hyperextension of my neck during my surgery is a leading contributor to my 7 year long headache nightmare. At the Symposium, Dr Ryzenman spoke on his new protocal at one of the headache workshops.  He makes sure the patient is in a comfortable position before he anesthetizes them.

Please do this!!!  You do NOT want to go through what I have gone through for the past 7 years!!!

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:48:28 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

epc1970

Re: Attention Pre-ops!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 02:27:13 pm »
I agree 100% with Capt Deb especially if you are having retrosimiod. This approach is the one that puts your neck in the most exaggerated potentially out of normal range postioning. I have  headaches and neck issues still  at 1 1/2 years post op that my dr attributes to this positioning during surgery. While I have figured out how to manage my neck pain and headaches it sure would have been nice not to have to learn to manage them!
Erin

cin605

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 03:39:00 pm »
I agree also....I am 1/12 yrs post op n still have neck pain n headache.I had such a bump for like 2 months where my head was so tight in the vice.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 03:44:18 pm »
Thanks for that excellent advice, Deb.

Although I underwent retrosigmoid approach AN surgery, my neurosurgeon - who had decades of experience with AN removals - must have known to position my head correctly prior to the surgery (I recall it being somewhat elevated) and I haven't experienced the headaches that plague you other AN surgery patients.  Still, your caution to potential surgery patients have their head comfortably supported prior to the anesthesia being administrated is a very worthy tip for AN pre-op patients.  You've done many people a huge favor by posting this warning.  Thanks again.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 04:21:14 pm »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm .....

I'm wondering if this is why I had terrible headaches following my retrosigmoid surgery in 1994 and absolutely no headaches following my retrosigmoid surgery in 2008 ..... (different neurosurgeons in different states and I am quite sure in different surgical positions)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:12:14 am »
Excellent info Deb.  You would think something as basic as ensuring patient comfort would be a given!  Maybe because the patient is heavily sedated there was less (or no) concern during surgery.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

LisaP

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 06:16:17 am »
Captain Deb,

Do you think that the sword going through your head has something to do with it? :P 

Thanks for the great advise as I continue to W&W.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Sobes

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 07:28:49 am »
Hi Captain Deb,

Thank you so much for this advice...I've been "collecting" info and questions for my surgeon and this is one I didn't have and NEVER would have thought to ask! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :)

Bren~
Small AN, left side, Oct. 22 2009
Surgery Dec. 22 @ UW Madison (wonderful doctors)
SSD (left side)

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 07:46:22 am »
Captain Deb,

Do you think that the sword going through your head has something to do with it? :P 

Thanks for the great advise as I continue to W&W.

LisaP ;D

Sword? What sword? There's a sword?

Capt Deb

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 11:42:59 am »
My surgeon, Dr. Bartels, told me that he believed the positioning of the neck was very important in minimizing the risk for post operative headaches.  He was telling me about how when he was in training (years and years ago), he was surprised at how far the neck was "cranked" in order to perform retrosig.  That said, I still get some headaches, but they are not at all debilitating and easily controlled with OTC's.

Thanks for sharing this important information, Capt Deb!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 02:13:44 pm »
Oh geeze I never would have thought of that! One thing I do know, is my right hip *still* hurts 2 months after my 10 hour retrosig.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 02:44:52 pm »
For me, the pain in my neck was waaaay worse than the incision pain.   I talked to Dr Friedman about it and he said I may have some soft tissue damage from the "splint." I had my first of many major migraines 2 weeks post-op. What I have is some major nerve damage.  I hope all prospective surgical patients read this and pass it on to their docs and fellow patients. I have been doing lots and lots of reading on occipital neuralgia and how symptoms can arise from injuries like whiplash.

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:46:41 pm by Captain Deb »

epc1970

Re: Attention Pre-ops!!! How to prevent headaches!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 05:05:29 pm »
Deb
I'm sure that you have had this done but...the Dr that I go to for my neck and headache issues is sending me for am MRI of my cervical spine because he feels in my case there is probably some damage there. Not that I'm thriiled about going in the MRI again but I'm hoping it will pinpoint exactly what the heck is going on! Like you, my neck pain has always been way worse than the incision pain. I actually got the idea for the MRI from one of the cd's from the conference. I gave it to my Dr, who after listening to the cd, concurred that this could very well be the source of my issues and ordered the MRI right away.
Erin

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 06:11:51 pm »
I have had a cervical spine MRI and they found some disc degeneration.  I believe I have some scar tissue left from muscle tearing pressing on my occipital nerves--but don't know if that shows up on an MRI.  An X-ray of your neck, if you are having neck pain before your surgery, might not be a bad idea.  Dang! I wish I'd thought of that before my surgery.  I've had a wonky neck for years.

Capt Deb

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 10:15:11 pm »
At the Symposium, Dr Ryzenman spoke on his new protocal at one of the headache workshops.  He makes sure the patient is in a comfortable position before he anesthetizes them.

Wonder how new this protocol is for Dr. Ryzenman - and if he learned it while at the Ear Institute of Chicago where he used to practice.  My neurotologist is from Chicago Ear and I haven't experienced any headaches post op.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways