Author Topic: National Family Caregivers Month (November)  (Read 5230 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
National Family Caregivers Month (November)
« on: November 19, 2009, 06:54:26 am »
In reading our town's newspaper yesterday, the editor of the paper did a column on National Family Caregivers Month in the hopes of reminding folks what caregivers do for so many.

The column reminds everyone that the challenge can be "rewarding and daunting."  It noted that family caregivers currently provide over $375 billion annually in "free caregiving services" (to me, there is no dollar value in what caregivers do.... as it's all from the heart).  The National Family Caregivers Association notes that "caregivers need all the support and help they can get from family and friends"... and as a caregiver, oh, do I 200% agree with that.

Tips were made in the article for ways that folks can help family members or friends that are caregivers...... offer a few hours of "respite" to caregivers so they can relax.  Help a caregiver decorate their home or help address envelopes for cards for the holidays as they may not have time from caregiving tasks to do so.  Offer something funny, like offering a comedic DVD or comedy movie passes or stand up show tickets.  Offer to help prepare Thanksgiving meal (portions) for those in the States with the holiday next week.  I love this one.... help a family caregiver find info and resources on the internet or to locate a local support group (I think all of us here can attest to how well support groups can work! ;) )

The article notes a quote from Suzanne Mintz, NFCA President and CEO.... "One of the most important attributes of being an advocate for your loved one is the willingness and the ability to speak up and keep your eye on the ultimate goal, protecting not only the health and safety of your loved ones but your own as well".  So very true!

Most caregivers work silently around us, with little or no help/assistance.  Reach out to one you may know that is a caregiver.... I'm sure they will appreciate it.

In reading the column, I thought of folks here like Rich (SML's Scarlett's husband) or TaylorsMom (who I had the genuine pleasure of meeting Taylor and Mom at this past summer's ANA symposium) or so many others that participate here on the forums that take care of those enduring the AN journey.  I commend you all for ALL that you do! Know that I recognize National Family Caregivers Month (every November) and tip my Steve's knitted hat in your honour for ALL that you do...

Well done!
Phyl
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:07:57 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
Re: National Family Caregivers Month (November)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 05:53:30 pm »
Hi Phyl,

Thanks for the mention, but as you know being a caregiver your self, we just do what we do because we love them.

It did make a big difference having family there, with help and support.  I didn’t ask much of them, but just to know the offer was there was very comforting.

Not to take anything away from my physical family, but the support of our virtual family here on the forum (some of you we’ve had the pleasure of meeting) means the world to both Scarlett and I.  I know some might think this is off topic, but it is right on target.

Thanks Phyl, you watch after us all (I know you hate that but the truth is the truth) :-*

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: National Family Caregivers Month (November)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 07:08:24 pm »
As some of you know, I have changed hats in recent days from that of givee to giver.  And I am exhausted.  Driving an hour to and fro the hospital once or twice daily.  Emailing everyone on Earth who ever knew this wonderful man to let them know of his grave condition.  Making and receiving calls to update with the latest developments.  Lugging the mail with bills and calling in to pay bills.  Bringing breakfast at 6 since it isn't available until 8:15.  Waiting while a surgical procedure that is said to take 25 to 30 minutes is completed and 90 minutes pass without word speeding the heart rate and frequency of adjustments to seating position.  Collecting a book or movie at the library each day to pass the long hours in the hospital room.  Taking a break to walk the 90-pound dog who so patiently waits in the car all day long.  And then going home to a house that has been neglected and unheated to collapse with a glass of wine and some leftovers.  Not for the weak of heart.  I am amazed at what it takes, even more than day-to-day parenting because there is a certain stress level associated with a loved one who is in need of skilled medical attention.  I had no idea and did not appreciate the effort involved.  Thank you to all the caregivers who visit this forum.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness