Author Topic: New to this...  (Read 2938 times)

davjack

• Spinning out of control
New to this...
« on: November 17, 2009, 11:56:38 am »
I was just diagnosed in Sept. with a 1.3cm AN. I have some dizziness but nothing I couldn't live with at this point. I have good days and bad days. I have an appt. at Shands on Dec. 21 to consult with the doctor about radiosurgery.

My question I guess is this...is there physical therapy you can do to help with the vertigo? Is this just going to get worse and worse even after the treatment? How am I going to work?  :'(
DJ
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:10:02 pm by davjack »
Lumpy is 1.3cm...am now in W&W mode since Dec. 2009

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: New to this...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 03:22:21 pm »
DJ .....

Balance issues sort of "go with the territory" when you have an AN (vestibular schwannoma) because the tumor begins with the multiplying of the schwan cells (outer layer) of the vestibular nerve (the balance nerve).  The good news is that we have two vestibular nerves and the brain is a wonderful organ to transfer the signals to the good nerve on the side opposite the AN.  The problem comes when at first the brain is receiving poor quality signals from the AN side and good on the other ..... and it does not know what to do with these mixed signals ..... hence, the dizziness/vertigo/wonkyheadedness.  So, it is actually a good thing when the poor quality signals stop (through tumor growth or treatment by removal or zapping) ..... then the brain adjusts rather quickly for most people.

To answer your question, vestibular therapy has been shown to speed up the retraining process.  My suggestion would be to see if you can find a trained vestibular therapist in your area and have a consultation pre-treatment.  Much depends upon where your tumor is located, its size, and what quality of signals you are receiving from the AN side.  There are several tests to determine how much function you have.  I had several computerized dynamic posturography tests done during the evaluation and course of my vestibular treatment.  See http://vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/diagnostic-tests/posturography-cdp.php 

The balance issue should be relatively short-term so unless you are an ironworker, climbing high beams  :-\ you should be OK.

Obviously, you should also check with your physician when you have your appointment in December.

Best wishes and let us know how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011