Author Topic: Swollen glands  (Read 5769 times)

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
Swollen glands
« on: November 11, 2009, 03:06:52 pm »
Over the years I've noticed swollen glands on various areas of my body.  This started prior to knowing about having an AN.  The ones that surprised me the most were the ones along my groin line (both sides).  Like small hard small peas.  I made a doctor's appt. for them, but when he checked them out he said "swollen glands are a sign of infection in the body" and proceeded to ask me questions about whether I was sick or had been sick recently, or showed any minute signs of sickness (I hadn't).  I also had one in my neck at the time.  Only one side, along the jaw line.  It bothered me that he was dismissive of the lumps because if they were a sign of infection and I had no other signs of infection-to me it meant that my body might be fighting something off.  But hey-I'm no doctor.

Fast forward another year, and I find out I have the AN that has been undetected for years.  I had it removed surgically at the end of May this year.  Throughout all of this, I never thought again about the swollen glands.  But today, I noticed that they are STILL swollen (quite large under my jaw line-still just one side.....the AN side).  When I googled 'swollen glands' I found : Glands can also swell and become tender after an injury, such as a cut or bite, or when a tumor or infection occurs in the mouth, head, or neck.

So I'm wondering if this is all part of the AN or is a sign of something else.  Theoretically, it *could* be because of the AN-but then, wouldn't it be gone now that the tumor is gone?

Anyone have any idea?  Anyone else have swollen glands prior to and after their surgery/treatment?

Thanks everyone,
Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Swollen glands
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:49:37 pm »
Adrienne ~

You pose interesting questions - for which I regret to admit that I have no substantive answers.  I haven't experienced the swollen gland issue but I often seem to be an anomaly of AN patients in many respects.  I wouldn't be surprised if others may have experienced swollen glands, especially if they are associated with a head tumor, which certainly describes an acoustic neuroma.  I suspect your questions are better suited for a trained, licensed physician to answer but gathering anecdotal information, first, can't do any harm and might be revealing.  I hope you receive some useful replies. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 03:09:20 pm »
Thanks Jim.

I guess I was just hoping to do a little 'investigation' on here first, given that I've already seen the doctor about it and he wasn't concerned.  It just doesn't make sense to me that something would be swollen for 'no reason', and then when I found the link between swollen jaw glands and head tumors..........I just had to ask!

I'm guessing that some people have them and just don't know it.  I just 'fluked' upon mine one day, but who knows how long they were actually there.  I'd love to know the cause though.

Thx.
Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

cin605

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 05:38:46 pm »
Hello
My An was on the right side.....the left side of my tongue was swollen n crocked for 5-6 months after surgery.About a year out the gland in the left side of my neck started swelling(fills n drains???)Why?no one seems to know i have had catscan x-rays shows nothing scope down my nose in to my throat...baffled.Lately the back of my tongue hurts on the left i have a feeling it has some thing to do w/ the hypoglossal nerve.Very strange stuff!When it hurts i also get nausea.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old