Author Topic: Post operative care  (Read 5159 times)

marcy

Post operative care
« on: April 25, 2005, 09:14:41 pm »
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what care is needed after the surgery?   Will I need someone in my home to care for me and the house?  I expect to have Translab.  Will I need a cane or walker afterwards?  I am aware that there is usually a balance problem afterward.  I am just trying to make as many arrangements as possible before hand because  my husband has MS and requires some care. He has walking problems.  Also, I do all the driving and caregiving.  Now one silly vanity question.  How much of your hair is cut off? 
Marcy 

alisaandree

Re: Post operative care
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 06:02:30 am »
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what care is needed after the surgery?   Will I need someone in my home to care for me and the house?  I expect to have Translab. 

Hi Marci,
Good luck to you. You didn't say when your surgery was scheduled for, but I can tell you a little about my experience. I had translab surgery Feb 14, 05. (I am 42 and a mother of 2).  I didn't want people coming into my house afterward and thought I could do it alone- me and my husband who works every day. Boy was I wrong. Good thing my family didn't take no for an answer. I had many, many complicaitons and was quite ill for several weeks. I was very nautious and unable to sleep. I didn't move from the couch much at all in the first few weeks after surgery. I would try to do one thing like shower and I would be exhausted afterward. I would plan to have lots of help if it is available. I was scared too and appreciated having someone there just in case I had a medical issue.
I did not need a walker for getting around the house. When outside, I held someone's hand or shoulder but around the house I was fine. Dizzy but fine.
Luckily the doctors only shaved a strip around my ear and it wasn't noticable at all. I have chin length hair and I was amazed at the fact that you couldn't tell I had lost some hair. The nurses at the hospital said that the doctors usually weren't so nice so be sure to talk with them about it.

As far as driving, I didn't try to drive at all for 3 weeks. When I finally did, I was surprised that it was no issue at all. In fact driving is easier than walking because the car doesn't tip over. haha
It is not fun being driven home from the hospital. That was very nauseating. But 3 weeks later I was doing light driving and it was fine. When you need to check traffic right, left, and back and fourth with your head, that isn't great and I still feel like I have  a little blackout period when I am turning my head back and fourth but I manage.
I didn't pick up normal activity until about 8 weeks after surgery. I still have some lingering issues but I am back to work and all.
Good luck to you. I'd love to know when you have your surgery and how you do with it.
Sincerely,
Alisa Andree

welchy

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 07:17:59 am »
I thought I could do it all myself, as well.  Thank God my mother INSISTED on staying with me for the first week.  Everybody is different, but the doctors were happy that I was able to even march in place after the surgery.  I didn't drive for four weeks, since my eyes were very sensitive to light.  When I did, it almost felt like the first time all over again.

My friends can't even tell where my hair was shaved.

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 07:41:36 am »
I had someone with me for the first few weeks. You will be very tired. It will be nice to just have someone to get you that glass of water or a snack. I also had people bringing meals. You won't feel much like cleaning or doing laundry for a few weeks.

I used a walker for a few weeks. It was helpful to me to steady myself. Also had a shower chair for the first week or so. I didn't drive for 6 weeks. When I first started I had to turn my head slowly but it improved quickly.

I'd line up more help than you think you need just in case. Hopefully you'll be back on your feet quickly but please be prepared in case you have unexpected complications.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

marcy

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 09:37:58 am »
Hi,
I am seeing Dr Brackmann Monday, May 2nd to schedule the surgery and talk about my options.  I am hoping to have it in August since I feel fine and have plans for the summer.
My tumor is 2 cm. My hair is short so I may have to go with a wig.  I guess I will find out how it looks after the surgery.  Thanks for all your in put.  It has helped.

Marcy

David Wrubel

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 05:22:10 pm »
This is major surgery to recover from, and your body needs time to heal. Your recovery will not be linear...you don't feel better every day than you did the day before; instead, it's often one day - 2 steps forward, next day - 1 step back, so don't get discouraged. Don't overdo anything, but do attempt things  you think you can do. In general, you will tire easily during recuperation. You need to be able to nap once or twice a day.

So yes, you will need some assistance around the house, because you won't be up to resuming your normal life for about four weeks after you're home, give or take. Even then, returning to normal is going to happen at your own pace. Driving IS easier than walking because you're sitting down focused on the road, but you probably won;t do a lot of driving for the first month either, and by that time you will be walking well.

I didn't need a walker once released from the hospital. But wear a pair of sneakers of something grippy so you don't accidentally fall. Things that are hard to do, and that you shouldn't do for awhile include: Carrying laundry baskets, especially up and down stairs; climbing ladders or stools to change light bulbs, showers (baths are less dangerous until your balance is restored), bringing grocery bags in from the car. You get the idea.

Good luck.
Regards....DW

5+ cm right side AN removed at House Clinic, Drs. Friedman & Hitselberger 4/13/2000, age 47.  Facial nerve intact. No eye problems, headaches, or balance issues. Drove 6 weeks later. 1st biz trip 8 weeks later. Huge tumor....great outcome.

Becky

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 07:39:22 am »
So little of my hair was cut for translab, I wondered why they cut any at all. 

Becky