Author Topic: Anyone have luck getting insurance to cover hearing aids?  (Read 5286 times)

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
Anyone have luck getting insurance to cover hearing aids?
« on: November 09, 2009, 08:22:33 pm »
Although I retained hearing in my AN ear, I still have a hearing loss. Decided to look into getting a hearing aid, but the cost is a little frightening. Anyone have any luck at all in getting insurance company to help cover the cost?

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Anyone have luck getting insurance to cover hearing aids?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:22:13 pm »
Cathy .....

Yes, the cost of a good hearing aid is steep ..... and I wish I could say my insurance covered it ..... I was told it did not matter what caused the deafness, which makes no sense to me since I had perfect hearing before the AN and insurance covered the removal of the AN .....   ??? ???  You could always try getting your ENT or audiologist to write a letter to your insurance company stating the cause of your deafness and see if it gets you anywhere.  I think BAHA wearers have had better luck getting theirs covered.  A BAHA just seemed extreme to me when I still had some hearing in that ear.  Plus I really did not want a third hole made in my skull ..... but that is just me.

Good luck.  Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 07:23:47 am »
Cathy -

I don't know if any insurance policies cover hearing aids, and if there are some, they are few and far between.

The BAHA is technically an implant or a prothesis which is why some insurance companies cover it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 05:33:46 pm »
FYI, BCBS/Texas covers hearing aids to the tune of $1,000 every 36 months (that's every 3 years).  So, you'd be surprised which companies will cover it and which ones don't.  I haven't pre-certified a BAHA to see what the coverage might be.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 06:10:47 pm »
Well, I'm going to start the process anyway to see where I get. At the suggestion of my insurance company my surgeon is working wiht the audiology dept to get documentation for me to submit to the insurance. I'm sure it will come down to my employer making the final decision, but I've seen them make allowances before for other employees circumstances, so I'm going for it. Especially after I saw the price. 4K for just ONE! YOWZA!!!

I've gone against the odds with insurance companies before over things they didn't want to cover, and after my appeal was reviewed they did pay it. It's a long process, though, so have to be patient and persistant because they count on you giving up. heh heh...they don't know me very well.

cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 08:29:14 pm »
Cathy - Good luck with the hearing aid insurance issue.  My situation mirrors yours.  Surprise.  Miss you.

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)