Author Topic: Where should I start?  (Read 3076 times)

shipley154

Where should I start?
« on: November 08, 2009, 09:14:11 pm »
I am new to this forum and had never heard the term synkenesis and didn't know what it meant until I found this forum. I had a large AN removed 13 years ago and have facial paralysis and severe synkenesis to the point of my eye on the surgery side staying closed most of the time.  I am wondering if I can be helped this long after surgery and if so. where should I start? A neurologist. my neurosurgeon... I really don't know where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.  Cheryl

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Where should I start?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:46:23 pm »
Cheryl, welcome to the forum!

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I do know that LA David has synkinesis.

Thought that this thread might give you some answers http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10526.0

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

shipley154

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 10:26:46 pm »
Thanks Cheryl, That thread has lots of info and I'm not sure what I should do next. The thought of being able to smile again is exciting but it's been so long I'm almost afraid to hope. The surgeon I had gave of almost no information prior to surgery and said my hospital stay should be 5 to 7 days and it was 56 days with many complications. Medical technology 13 years ago was nowhere near what we have today so perhaps there will be some help now that wasn't available then.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 10:44:27 pm »
Hi!  I know that we have chatted in PM's but I don't think that I told (I'm sorry I was running out the door for a Parent/Teacher conf) you that I had the T3 a couple of years ago with Dr. Patrick Byrne at Johns-Hopkins to help with my smile after all this time.  I would be more the happy to discuss this with you.  Google him - he is AWESOME!!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

shipley154

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 12:05:45 pm »
Thanks Kay, I checked Dr. Byrne out and the before and after pictures are quiet impressive. I've already had the facial nerve/hypoglossal anastimosis so I don't know if I am a candidate for the tendon transfer or not. It is certainly something I am going to be checking into. May God bless you! Cheryl