Author Topic: Surgery Date November 9th  (Read 10025 times)

Tina H

Surgery Date November 9th
« on: November 04, 2009, 09:34:49 pm »
Having my AN surgery on the 9th of November at Johns Hopkins with Dr Weingart and Dr Francis.  I live in Louiville sooooo driving to Baltimore on Sat with my hubby.  I am nervous about surgery/recovery but feel confident that this is the right thing for me.

cindyj

Re: Surgery Date November 9th
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 06:28:05 am »
Hi, Tina!  Welcome to the forum!  Thanks for letting us know about your surgery...understandable to be nervous, but sounds like you did your research and are doing what's right for you, so you can go with confidence!  Be safe on your drive and have your husband let us know how you do on Mon, when he has a minute :)  If you have any questions in the meantime, please do let us know.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:43:18 am »
Hi Tina,

Welcome and best of luck on your surgery.  I was diagnsed on October 15th of this year so I'm a "newbie" around here, but I can certainly relate to being nervous about  treatment.  I am so glad to hear that you are confident in your choice, and I am sure that you are going to have a fantastic outcome.  I will be sending thoughts and prayers your way on Nov 9th.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

TP

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:50:19 am »
Tina and Lawmama, welcome to the forum. I am sorry to learn that you have an AN and totally understand being nervous about treatment and upcoming surgeries. Tina, make sure you get plenty of rest in the  next few days and drink plenty of water as well. Don't worry about stuff that may need to be done, it will get done by someone else. We all will be praying for you and please let us know how your surgery goes. Drive careful...and again, we are thinking of you!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Tina H

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 10:41:42 am »
Thanks guys!  I appreciate your support more than you know.   :)   I will try to take your advice about resting, something I am not so good at.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 10:53:43 am »
Good luck~  Hope everything goes smoothly for you and you have one of the easier recoveries......

It'll feel great to be on the other side of this.  I remember that thought specifically sticking out in my mind after surgery.

(hugs)

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 02:19:05 pm »
Hi Tina-

Just wanted to wish you great luck on Monday.  By now, I am sure that you are just looking forward to getting it over with!  Just remember, that the first few days after surgery don't count - most of us did not feel at our finest during those first days.  However, after that, for most of us recovery is uneventful (which is what you want.)

hugs,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 02:29:17 pm »
Hi, Tina !

Congratulations on attaining your surgery date at Johns Hopkins.  I took the liberty of adding it to our AN Treatment Calendar  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d09/11/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B, so you're 'official', now! 

Prayers and good vibes will go with you next Monday.  Besides, you have the same name as my lovely wife, so I won't forget you.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 02:48:01 pm »
Alright Tina; Mine is the Nov 16th, a week after yours. I sure hope this waiting is the hardest part, my anxiety level is off the chart. My day can't get here fast enough. Good luck. Let us know how it went.
Good Luck and Positive thoughts
Mike
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 03:11:47 pm »
Hi Tina,

Welcome and Gods speed next week...!

You Take Care and think only "Happy  ::) Thoughts!"
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

suboo73

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 04:28:46 pm »
Hi Tina,

Just saw your post and wanted to wish you all the best for your surgery at JH.
[I believe i met Dr. Francis during one of my consultations at JH and he seems very nice.]

Others have had surgery at JH and are doing well now [like Zinger1095 - hi there!].
Although i have had not had any treatment yet, others having surgery say 'the first three days don't count.'

If you want, have your hubby send us an update on your progress. 
I will also be happy to post that information for him on this Forum - you can find my e-mail address under my profile.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your extended family.
Sincerely,

Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 05:12:50 pm »
Good luck, Tina.

Best wishes for a speedy, uneventful recovery  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kiwi Don

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 05:45:19 pm »
Hi Tina,

Welcome to the forum of the exclusive elusive ANer's
As has been said before, take a breath, take a break, and we will look forward to hearing from you on the Postie side
All the best for next week.

Don
24July09 Diagnoised with Left AN 2.0cm x 1.9cm
Translab Scheduled 7April10

"Received the Ticket, Boarded the Train, and now the Journey has begun??"

opp2

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 06:39:31 pm »
All the best Tina...fingers crossed.

Welcome to the forum too.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

gingerbread6

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 06:56:22 am »
Hi Tina,

I'm reading this post late. You have already had your surgery. I do hope that all went well with your surgery. I hope you are home by now, and recouping nicely. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Gingerbread6