Author Topic: any chance of an MRI being a false negative?  (Read 8978 times)

sarah

any chance of an MRI being a false negative?
« on: April 25, 2005, 05:06:22 pm »
Three years ago, I saw an ENT with ringing and fullness in my left ear. The hearing test also showed a 20% high tone hearing loss.  The MRI was negative for an AN.  Three years later, the ringing is louder, and the fullness in my ear is more frequent though my hearing test last year stayed the same. I have never had problems with my balance or with dizziness.  Unfortunately, my doctor has never given me a diagnosis.  I still wonder in the back of my mind if the MRI was not accurate or if it is possible that a very small AN would not show up on the MRI.  I would appreciate any of your comments.  Thank you so much!  Sarah

Mary 117

Re: any chance of an MRI being a false negative?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 11:48:48 am »
Sarah,
Definately get it checked out again. Did they use contrast when they did your MRI?  I had an MRI 18 months ago and they said there was nothing there. I have moved to a different state, still had ear troubles and had another MRI. This one showed a 1.9cm AN. The Neurosurgeon here reviewed the previous MRI and said there was something there 18 months ago. They didn't use contrast the first time and it didn't show up clearly.

Good Luck,
Mary
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 03:21:08 pm »
Sarah,

Mary hit it on the head....without contrast, it makes it very difficult to enhance on the MRI.  Have you undergone any other tests?  Balance, speach recognition, BAT?   Welcome to the first stage of having an AN (if you have one that is), if not...it's a great lesson for dealing with the medical community....be an ACTIVE participant in your treatment.  Ask for a second opinion, see another doctor.  This is your health, and quality of life. 

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

sarah

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 05:17:38 am »
Thanks so much for your repllies.  My first test ordered by my family physician was a CAT scan with and without contrast.  That was negative.  He then sent me to an ENT, and he ordered an MRI with and without contrast....that to negative. That is why I am not sure what to do next.  Thank you for your support.  Sarah

welchy

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 05:41:38 am »
My tumor, 3.3 cm, did not show up until they shot the dye in my arm.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 09:09:02 am »
If your not sure what to do next....follow your gut instinct.  You can't go wrong there.  Most of us with the AN's just knew something was wrong.  If you read the stories, people tell of headaches, balance problems, etc...all unexplained by the doctors.  Another thought to consider is that maybe if you have an AN...it's really small.   I would suggest that if you continue to have symptoms, go back again and again to the doctor, until your satisfied.  Or seek another opinion.  Also, get a copy of your MRI; I have all of mine (they put it on CD-ROM), and refer to them often.  I can just about read my own.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

rebecca

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 12:57:00 pm »
Sarah,

Agree completely that contrast is necessary.  I had a CT scan and my GP actually ordered it with contrast but the technician didn't use it and when I asked why, he said that that was used where tumors were suspected (duh!).  When I finally got the MRI a year later (hello) with contrast--a 3 cm tumor was found.  I had been given test at the head and neck department and my hearing was completely normal, (however, meiniers disease was diagnosed--which was actually secondary to the tumor) so no one suspected the acoustic neuroma and the MRI was ordered on my request for "therapeutic reasons only" as everyone was 99% certain that there was nothing wrong with me.

sarah

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 05:25:18 pm »
Thanks to all of your for your responses.  I contacted my family doctor and told him of my concern, and I am having my MRI with contrast tomorrow.  I will let you know of the results when I get them.  Thank you again.  Sarah

Texas Gal

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 08:26:04 am »
You are in my prayers!!  Karla

Russ

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 01:23:39 pm »
Hi
  I have heard from a Radiologist that sometimes vestibular neuronitis will show on MRI as a small AN.   -Russ