Author Topic: Pain in head behind the ear and smile problem  (Read 3276 times)

TOM

Pain in head behind the ear and smile problem
« on: October 28, 2009, 03:26:48 pm »
I am trying to schedule my surgery in the month of December. I have lost complete hearing on the AN side but did not had any other problem till yesterday.

Since yesterday night I have pain in my head exactly behind the ear. pain is not a constant pain but comes and goes. Pain is sharp and could not sleep.

The other problem I have since morning is the lips do not come back to normal after I speak or smile. I can see a small hole in betwee the nose and the lip on the AN side.

after some time it comes back to normal.

Has anbody else experienced such symptons.

Thanks.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Pain in head behind the ear and smile problem
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 03:38:48 pm »
Hi, Tom ~

I'm sorry you're having these problems and I do think they're directly connected to your (likely growing) AN.  I also experienced the sharp, intermittent 'stabbing' pain in the weeks before my AN diagnosis and subsequent surgery.  I didn't have the facial issue but it certainly seems as if it is the AN at work.  I hope you can get in for surgery by December.  You might want to notify your doctor about these issues you're dealing with and perhaps he'll schedule your operation even sooner.  It's worth a try. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TOM

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 03:42:00 pm »
Thanks Jim, I have appointment with my doctor tomorrow.

what did you take to reduce your pain.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:59:18 pm »
Thanks Jim, I have appointment with my doctor tomorrow.

what did you take to reduce your pain.

Lots of Ibuprofen.  Fortunately, I didn't need it every day and two tablets usually tamped down the pain, which was, as I mentioned, intermittent, thank goodness.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 07:43:40 am »
Tom -

sounds like your AN acting up.  This is definitely something to mention to your doctor.

Hopefully you'll be able to schedule your surgery soon.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 12:49:59 pm »
Hi Tom,

It does sound like the AN is acting up. I also experience pain in the back of the ear and a weird sensation on the side of my lip.
It's part of this whole thing, but glad you are seeing the Dr. Advil does help.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 05:40:16 pm »
Tom

I thought I'd add my two cent too.  The behind the ear pain seems to be one most of us have shared.  I think it happens when the AN becomes inflamed from time to time.  I always referred it as my AN rearing it's ugly head.  Sorry to hear about the facial nerve issues too.  I Hope you are able to schedule your surgery soon.  Keep us posted.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!