Author Topic: Gammaknife Consultation  (Read 9168 times)

Vivian B.

Re: Gammaknife Consultation
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 02:35:13 pm »
Hi petgroomer,

Just caught your note. Thank you. I think I finally decided to wait until my next MRI which should be sometime in April 09. I would feel better if they can actually confirm growth, more out of curiosity than anything. I expect it is growing as it already reached 20mm. Why stop now right? Once I know that it is growing, I am going to tell my doctors to go ahead with the gammaknife procedure. It's too painful to watch and wait at this stage as the tumor is considered of medium size. Although I am not sure there is ever closure with this condition but you hope to move on somehow after treatment.

It's so great to have all of you to discuss things with. Who better than the people going through it.

I will keep you posted. I do have a consultation on May 5/09 to get results of the next MRI(date pending). I was so terrified of the MRI itself prior to all of this. Who knew, it's a piece of cake now after my 2nd one in a closed machine! It's funny how you can get the inner strength within you to kick in when you need to or at least you hope it does.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

frank

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 01:39:41 pm »
Hi Vivian:
One of the factors that caused me to have Gamma Knife radiosurgery last week was the comment made by my Doctor. He said that right now my hearing in my AN ear is very good. In time, the growth of the AN may cause my hearing to diminish. If I have the procedure now, my hearing after the procedure could be close to the same as it is now. If I wait, and my hearing diminishes, I would likely come out with the same hearing I had going into the procedure. That did it for me. I decided to have it done when my hearing going in was very good. It is the same now but my time after Gamma Knife is only one week. Hopefully, when the swelling subsides several months from now, my hearing will still be good. (I detest the thought of ever having to wear a hearing aide).
Frank
4/07 MRI 8x5x6 mm  AN, RS  
Partial hearing loss and tinnitus 
4/08 MRI 10x5x5 mm
No additional hearing loss
4/09 MRI 1.2 cm , 6mm in AP dia, small mushroom shaped component into CB angle cistern. No additional hearing loss
Gamma Knife 11/09 Univ Hosp GK Ctr, Syracuse
Dr Hahn & Woods

Vivian B.

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 08:36:03 pm »
Hi Frank,

Thanks for your thoughts. I was also considering that,  and I am thinking of having another hearing test soon just to see if there is any differene from my last on in June 09. I understand how you feel about the hearing aid, lately I have been thinking about it too. Let me know how your recovery progresses and good luck.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

sgerrard

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 11:48:04 pm »
FYI, if it ever comes to it, hearing aids aren't so bad these days. My main complaint is that it makes my ear itch sometimes - I  think it has to do with ear hair.  ::)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.