Author Topic: U of Miami  (Read 2991 times)

davjack

• Spinning out of control
U of Miami
« on: October 28, 2009, 10:22:37 am »
Hi all - I just joined the forum. I am exploring doctor options. Right now I'm looking at Shands (Dr. Antonelli), Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville or U. of Miami. Anyone have any experience with these institutions? I haven't decided on procedure yet.
Thank you
DJ
Lumpy is 1.3cm...am now in W&W mode since Dec. 2009

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
Re: U of Miami
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 05:46:54 pm »
Hi, DJ,

I live in Gainesville, so I will very likely be going through Shands for my surgery.  I actually had my first consult with Dr. Antonelli today.  I thought he was fantastic and he really put me at ease.  He was very patient and answered all of my questions.  His answers agreed with the research I've already done.  I know Dr. Antonelli is very comfortable with the retrosigmoid approach, which was what I wanted anyway, but he mentioned he has also done the Middle Fossa.  He generally does surgery with Dr. Lewis who also seems to have a phenomenal reputation.

Also, Debbi (I can't remember her screenname) just had surgery at Shands with Dr. Antonelli and Lewis last week.  She had fantastic results, I think.  She might be willing to talk more about it when she's up and around more again.

Of course, I'm not saying whether or not these surgeons are right for you, I'm just telling you my personal impressions of Dr. Antonelli's "bedside manner," if you will.   :)

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.