Author Topic: New member  (Read 3736 times)

archana

« on: October 27, 2009, 09:33:22 am »
Hello,

I am a new member to this group.  Diagnosed with a 3cm acoustic neuroma on right side.  Surgery scheduled at Oho State University Med Center on 10/29/09 (Translabyrinthine approach).  Planning to have BAHA implant at the same time as tumor removal.  Has anyone done that?

We have found this group to be very informative and useful.  Thanks in advance.

-Archana
AN 3.2 x 2.3 x 2.6 cm
Translab 10/29/09. SSD on right. BAHA implant same time.
Ohio State Univ Med Ctr. Dr. Dodson

cyrmom2

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:52:41 am »
Archana, who is you surgeon?  I had a translab 9 weeks ago at OSU/The James and had a great experience.  Good luck with the BAHA implant too!

Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

archana

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:57:50 am »
Hi Cyndi,

It is Dr. Dodson and he mentioned that he works with Dr. McGregor (Neurosugeon).

-Archana
AN 3.2 x 2.3 x 2.6 cm
Translab 10/29/09. SSD on right. BAHA implant same time.
Ohio State Univ Med Ctr. Dr. Dodson

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 10:47:43 am »

Planning to have BAHA implant at the same time as tumor removal.  Has anyone done that?

Yes, I had my BAHA implant at the conclusion of my translab procedure. It's pretty standard at the place where I had my surgery, but you'll notice on this forum that many (most?) doctors prefer that their patients wait a few months between surgery and implant. Those who've waited have said that the implant as a stand-alone surgery is no big deal -- similar to a dental procedure. I certainly believe that's the case, but I was delighted to have the "two-in-one" surgery -- had absolutely no impact on my recovery process and I didn't have to go through a second "head invasion" -- even though it would have been very minor in comparison to the translab.

Best wishes with your surgery!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 03:27:46 pm »
Hello - and welcome, Archana ~

Thanks for joining!  Our good thoughts and prayers will go with you on Thursday. 

I took the liberty of adding a bit to your entry on the famous 'AN Treatment Calendar'  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d29/10/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B.  Of course, it's yours to change as you see fit.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 04:38:46 pm »
Hi Archana,

I am fairly new to this board so I don't have the experience with this that other members do.  I just wanted to post to tell you that I will be thinking of you on Thursday and sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 07:46:30 pm »
Hi and welcome Archana -

combining AN surgery with BAHA surgery pretty much depends on the doc involved.  My neurotologist doesn't typically combine the surgeries - so I had retrosigmoid in 5/07 to remove my AN (about the size of yours) and BAHA surgery 9 months later in 3/08.  I would have had the BAHA implant earlier, but spent lots of months battling my insurance company for coverage.  Thankfully they paid for everything 100% in the end.

Although I originally was hesitant to have another surgery after my retrosigmoid, the BAHA surgery is absolutely nothing like AN surgery.  They don't open up your head - and it's a short outpatient surgery.  I even had mine done under local anesthesia.

Bottomline, if your doc combines the surgeries - great.  But if he doesn't, don't let that prevent you from getting the BAHA. 

I absolutely love my BAHA; IMO it's amazing!

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways