Author Topic: Prayers needed .....  (Read 21912 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Prayers needed .....
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2009, 02:10:21 pm »
Clarice and Truman,

I just found this thread and am so sorry you are dealing with another medical crisis.  Sounds like Truman is improving and continues to feel better and better.  Love all the music stories--did you know that I play the flute? yep since I was in the 4th grade. Not great at reading music but I have a great ear.  I have an electric pick-up in my flute that can be put through a sound board for some pretty wild special effects.

I hope Truman continues to make progress,  and you will both be in my prayers!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2009, 03:50:46 pm »
You know, Denise and Deb, I have often wondered if there could be any connection with ANs and musicians ..... sort of like, we use our hearing in a much more sensitive way than most people ...... oh, there probably is not any connection ..... just ironic that to those of us who valued our excellent hearing, it is an insult in a way.

Denise, I have played the piano since I was four years old, added organ into the mix in high school ...... I was a piano teacher, organist, and pianist from when I was in high school until I retired completely three years ago ...... then it became just too much frustration to have the responsibility on a regular basis with my health issues.  Congratulations on accompanying the student recital!  Is your husband a college professor also?

Deb, yes Truman is continuing to improve and we are just praying the severe atrial fibrillation does not return!  He has some other heart issues but the cardiologist thinks they can be managed with medication and he is feeling much better.  And, you a flutist!! How marvelous!!!  Do you play jazz flute?  We have a good friend who is a jazz flutist and I love to hear her play.  When you get your headaches under control, we will have to get together (we only live about 5-6 hours from each other, you know).

Thanks everyone for your continuing thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2009, 06:04:25 pm »
Yes, I play a little jazz and I love to play blues.  I have pretty good improvisational chops.  Just tell me what key you are in!  I have been in 6 different bands playing everything from Jazz to bluegrass to rock and roll to "Caribbean country" and "West Indian folk". I played on an album called "Bluenose" with a guy called Michael Beans. He was my music partner for years and I got to play with him again right before my diagnosis on a trip to the BVI.  His website is here:

http://www.beansmusic.com/

Haven't played much since I lost my hearing, but I'm taking my flute to Sarasota this year as I have some music friends down there that want me to play with them.  BTW I am an awesome spoon player!!  Yee Haw!

Hugs to Clarice and Truman,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Goldie

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2009, 11:29:45 pm »
I actually graduated with a music education major and taught vocal/general music for six years before changing directions.  I met my husband in college, also a music major, and he spent his career as a public school band director.  He just took an early retirement last spring due to a cut at his school, and this opportunity to teach woodwinds at the local community college kind of fell into his lap.  It's part-time, but he's also giving guitar lessons through community ed part-time and things have worked out great.  It also gave him a little extra time to spend this fall with me through my recuperation!   :)  We teasingly call him "professor," but no, he's not.  He can play just about anything, but me, I'm "just the pianist."  He married me, of course, so he could have his own accompanist!   ;)

Clarice, my father dealt with atrial fib so I understand a bit of what you're going through.  It can be a scary thing but also manageable.  My prayers continue for both Truman and you.

Denise
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.