Author Topic: Prayers needed .....  (Read 21932 times)

Keri

Re: Prayers needed .....
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2009, 09:19:17 pm »
Hi Clarice,
Hope you have a great weekend and Truman doesn't try to rake the leaves that have blown down since last week. (we spent all last weekend raking; now it looks like it's never been done!)
Thanks for the nice words. It's been good to be back on and trying to catch up with everyone.
I hope Truman is continuing to improve.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2009, 09:58:01 pm »
Hi Keri .....

So good to see you posting again.

Truman is continuing to improve.  He even helped to unload a truckload of firewood yesterday and had no ill effects.  Still makes me nervous when he does that, but I cannot hover forever.

We went to the symphony concert tonight ..... more my speed.   :D

Are you heavily into Christmas music preparation these days?

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2009, 07:41:44 pm »
Oh, Donnalynn .....

I absolutely love harp music so maybe it was you I heard just now!

We went to the symphony concert last night and one of the works was Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique, which uses two harps and they were so beautiful!  Truman directs the Charleston Civic Chorus and we are doing a collection of Christmas Dances by Stephen Paulus with harp and flute for our Winter Concert next month.  A good friend of ours is a fabulous harpist at WVU and she will be playing with us.  Christine was at our church on November 1st when our choir sang the Rutter "Requiem" for an All Saints' Service and she did a harp prelude that was out of this world.

Do you play a celtic harp or the full, large version?  Either one is wonderful, but they have different characteristics.

When I was in high school I went to a summer music institute at Northwestern University and my roommate was a harpist.  She let me try playing her harp ..... I was lousy at it and have always admired all of you who have mastered this glorious instrument.

Thanks for thinking of us.  Guess I must have really needed the psalms today because I was a bit of a nag today when Truman was trying to do too much in the yard and garage this afternoon.

Clarice

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2009, 09:59:47 pm »
Clarice,

I just saw this post the 1st time today... I was out-of-the-loop and have not been on the forum (family stuff). Sounds like some prayers have been answered!!

I'll still keep you both in my prayers... however late they are.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2009, 11:09:56 pm »
One of my favorite Christmas CDs is harp music. It has a lovely rendition of "Dona Nobis Pacem," which is one of my favorite holiday pieces.

I bought the CD at Target on clearance several years ago and play it every season. Just about time to get it out!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2009, 07:33:36 am »
DHM .....

So glad to see you posting again ..... I had missed you and prayed you were not having more medical issues!  Certainly hope your life has settled back down again.  You have so much to give on this forum ......  Hang in there.

Donnalynn ....

Thanks so much for the harp information.  When I get home from church this afternoon I am going to look up Sunita Staneslow ..... I am not as up on my harp artists as I should be.  Well, practice hard because when we come to Alberta for an AN gathering, we will expect a concert!!

Sara .....

Need to check at Target and see if they still carry a CD of Christmas harp music ..... that would be so soothing!  It is no where the same, but I have the harp glissandos as my ringtone for the alarm on my cell phone.  When I take a short nap, I set that alarm or I would sleep way too long and then it is curtains for sleeping that night.  The harp is such a calm wake up sound ..... it puts me in the right frame of mind.

Clarice

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2009, 12:47:38 pm »
Donnalynn .....

Just googled Sunita Staneslow and thoroughly enjoyed the samples I could download of her playing.  Could not get the harp and violin sample to work ..... I'll try again later another way.  Noticed she also has done some harp and clarinet concerts ..... goodness, which will you do??   ;)

I am going to look on Amazon and see about ordering a CD of her Christmas music.  Thanks for the tip.

Clarice

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2009, 04:35:47 pm »
Hi Donnalynn .....

What a neat thing about Sunita ..... maybe I should go directly through her website instead of Amazon ..... or do you think she gets the proceeds from Amazon?

Just came from a stimulating and excellent organ recital at First Presbyterian Church ..... but, my ears are still ringing ..... tinnitus kicked up big time!  ..... and I do not do well in crowds during receptions either.  One of the casualties of having had an AN that I do not like .....   :(

Clarice

Keri

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2009, 07:03:41 am »
i believe i would really like to hear you two ladies play!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2009, 08:20:03 am »
Keri .....

I would vote for a harp duet by Donnalynn and Sunita any time .....  Maybe part of our Canadian Holiday!  Actually Donnalynn belongs to a harp circle so if Sunita cannot come, maybe we could all enjoy Donnalynn's harp circle playing.

Donnalynn, how many are in your harp circle?

Keri, you play the piano/organ don't you?  You and I could play duets, as well .....   8)

Clarice

wendysig

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2009, 12:26:25 pm »
Clarice,

I'm glad to hear that Truman is continuing to do better.  Like anything else, the key is to stay active but not overdo things. 

Best wishes to both of you and prayers for his continued improvement.

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2009, 05:18:26 pm »
Wendy .....

Thanks.  Truman continues to get stronger and I think they are finally getting a handle on his anticoagulant med.  We both are working on getting more exercise.  As long as this nice weather holds out, we have a beautiful park close by with a level walking trail that we have been using.

Donnalynn .....

Thanks for the info on your harp circle ..... what a neat way to celebrate surviving breast cancer.  I had my annual mammogram last week and thank God it was once again unchanged.  My mom died from breast cancer many years ago so my sister and I are very careful about exams.  I had one scare 10 years ago, resulting in a biopsy with removal of microcalcifications, which were benign.

Clarice

Keri

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2009, 11:32:07 pm »
Donnalynn,
What a great story about how your harp circle was founded. I'll bet you touch many people with your playing and your story.
Clarice,
I'm sorry about your mom; what a tough thing (even though you said it was a long time ago - still tough). I'm glad you're all clear.
I play piano, a bit of guitar and (much more infrequently than I'd like), hammered dulcimer. I love to write music but have no traiining (one of these days will share some of my music on this site). I would love to be able to play classical music, but am not too much of a note reader. I play by ear and kind of noodle around on chords and stuff. I have an ensemble at my church and I love playing with them (violin, recorder, guitars, flute, sax). I love playing celtic or folky music. I have a banjo but haven't learned how to play it (it's a pain to tune!)
Yes, we should all get together and jam!

Keri
My head feels weird!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2009, 07:45:03 am »
Keri .....

Thought I had read you post a while back about playing at church ..... hadn't lost my mind.   :o  I think it is terrific that you use your musical skills in so many different ways.  ..... and the hammered dulcimer .... that is not easy and such an interesting instrument.

Although our professional lives have been classical music, both Truman and I enjoy a variety of music and in retirement have worked with other types, as well.  Any good music, no matter the type is valuable for the soul!  I'm just not in to "thumpers" very much.   :-X

Clarice

Goldie

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2009, 10:43:55 am »
Maybe being a musician is a requirement for being an AN'er??  I also play the piano (mostly for church & choir) and have been finding playing helpful in my recovery.  My husband needed an accompanist for an upcoming student recital at the local college, so I've been helping out with that too.  It's been good for eye coordination for me, not to mention just good practice!

Denise
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.