Author Topic: surgery next week  (Read 8365 times)

mll

surgery next week
« on: October 23, 2009, 01:24:57 pm »
I am having surgery next week at Kaiser in San Diego. I'm pretty nervous but know this is the right move.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: surgery next week
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:34:03 pm »
Maria ~

Thanks for the reminder.  You aren't on the AN Treatment Calendar  -  http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments  - so please let us know the exact date for your surgery.  I know you've had to deal with facial pain recently, years after your radiation treatment, so I trust this surgery will finally end all that.  The hopes and prayers of many will go with you next week and I think you'll do well.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:39:47 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:58:27 pm »
I read your previous posts.    What made you decide to go with surgery now?     What kind of surgery are they doing?

Hopefully everything goes good for you! 
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

mll

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:40:56 pm »
I am having surgery on Wednesday.  Along with the tumor I developed trigeminal neuralgia---a neurological condition that causes me to get electric shocks on the right side of my face.  The pain is absolutely horrible and they are getting stronger and more frequent.  I originally went to the surgeon to have surgery (micro vascular decompression) for the neuralgia but they said they cannot fix the trigeminal nerve without removing the tumor first. I am maxed out my medications and want the pain to end.  Many patients --90% have not needed medication following surgery so I'm getting surgery.  I'm going to have the Retrosigmoid approach.  I'm just ready for it all to be over with.

opp2

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 07:47:11 pm »
Best Wishes Maria for an easy surgery followed by a pain free (or as close to as possible) recovery.

Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 05:50:48 am »
I hope all goes well and an easy recovery.

Cheers,
Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

mll

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 09:27:44 am »
Thanks guys for all of your support.  As the day gets closer I find myself getting more now antsy. What should I do to prepare for surgery? Anything special I should bring? How should I prepare for post-op? I have two kids ages 6 and 5---how do I prepare them? I'm sorry for the flood of questions but you guys are the best source of information I can find.

moe

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 11:30:46 am »
Maria,
Totally understand about the nervousness, antsyness.
Wednesday will be here before you know it. I'm sure you are staying busy.

Don't need to bring much except for chapstick, bathrobe, sweats for the ride home. Maybe a pair of sturdy slippers, but they give you the slipper socks which might be all you need. No need to bring make up! As we say, the first 3 days don't count because, well, you have probably read posts. It is usually pretty challenging with headaches/wonkiness/dizziness or whatever symptoms you get. Everyone is so different. Keep tabs on the headaches if you can, if that is a problem. I didn't ask for more morphine because I thought it had made me sick the night of surgery. May have been just that I HAD brain surgery. I personally had bad headaches, but no dizziness (I couldn't believe it!).That's because the tumor had already smashed the balance nerve, and I had already compensated.

Your kids, age 6 and 5, don't need to be told much. That's what is so great about that age.
"Mommy is going to get a boo boo fixed on or in her head, so when I come back, I'll look different!
They will ooh and ahh.
One of the guys from a while back made kind of a little game out of it, explaining the doctor needed to take something out of his head. He then showed her a potato post op ! I think she was much younger than your kids. It was cute.
He has a picture of her looking at him like"You've got to be kidding. I'm not THAT dumb."! with the potato in his hand.

So good luck, prayers and good vibes going your way next WED
Maureen
See you in postie land :)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 12:23:12 pm »
Take a picture of your kids too.    Good moral support for you.       I always had pjs to wear once the IV was capped but need ones with buttons or easy slip on as there will be the tight bandage on the head.                  If you wear glasses,then take an old pair with the bow off the AN side as it doesn't fit over the dressing.             You may or may not have the bandange on the head when you get home.  Each drs protocol is different.                     You might say ahead that mommy is going to be real tired for a few days when she comes home and that is ok but she might take lots of naps.     
 The time before surgery is nerve wracking and we understand that quite well!            Good luck to you!
                                                                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 12:34:22 pm »
Maria ~

Your surgery (10/28) is now listed on the AN Treatment Calendar, so you're 'official'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 12:53:05 pm »
Maria,

Good luck with your surgery.  I hope this takes care of your pain once and for all.

We'll all be thinking about you.  And many people have found that the pre-surgery antsyness is a great way to get your closets and junk drawers cleaned out!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

another NY postie

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 04:59:52 pm »
There have been some threads about this.  One ran before I went and was titled, I think, what to bring to House.  You can search that as I don't know how to copy old thread.  Also Kate listed on that thread, this thread for packing list

Here is an archived thread on the same topic...

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=34.msg154#msg154

For the hospital, I did not need much...I didn't even use chapstick because they had given me this lip balm that worked well.  I just kept my hospital gown on, underwear, a robe, and I had a very soft blanket (like polartech but lap size) that I used a lot and defintely you need pictures of your children!  :D  toothbrush/paste...that was about it...my husband says I used my slippers but I don't remember that- I remember the turquoise socks they gave me!  I  think I combed out my hair day 4...sort of! lol!

Good luck on your surgery...it is very scary, the concept of brain surgery, but I hope you can find some calm....I am now week 4.5 and doing amazingly well...wishing your surgery and recovery goes well, too!

Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

mll

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 06:15:27 pm »
Thanks so much for your help. Cheryl thanks for the link--some of the replies gave me a good laugh which i really needed.  I'm one of those people that like to have everything planned and organized as best I can and having a list of what to bring really helps. I think I'm even going to have my kids each make something special that I can take with me---we do a lot of crafts and that might help. I don't know what i would do without this forum. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 07:03:57 pm »
Good luck, Maria - and welcome to the Forum.

I had retrosigmoid myself in May 2007 and things turned out well for me.  I hope the same for you and will keep you in my prayers.

I'm envious of you being in San Diego.  I was just there in August and it's absolutely beautiful.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 04:19:24 pm »
Maria - I'm going to L.A. for surgery next week.  But I'm a gentleman, so ladies first please  ;)

I put together a quick list from everything I have read here:

Clothing
Pajamas (shirts with buttons)
Underwear
Shorts (walking shorts or boxers)
Socks
Slip on shoes
Zip-up hoodie

Toiletries
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Deodorant
Lip balm
Wet wipes
Electric razor
Bath powder
Mild room deodorizer

Odds and ends
Pillow
Radio (battery powered)
Favorite photos
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."