Author Topic: 2 days after surgery  (Read 4800 times)

keithb

2 days after surgery
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:30:23 pm »
My surgery was scheduled for 12:45, but I didn't get into the operating room until 3:30.  By 7:00, my wife and I were leaving the hospital.  I did not expect the huge bandage wrapped around my head.  It felt like I had a roll of toilet tissue wrapped to the side of my head.  Most of my discomfort the first two days came from the bandage being wrapped pretty tight around my head.  The indentation was almost as bad as when I had my Gamma Knife surgery.  I have had some very mild headaches the past two days, but nothing serious.
Today we took the wrapping off to find a blood stained piece of material around the metal piece.  Is it normal to have blood on this piece?  It is dried, and no additional blood is seeping out.  My concern for next week is going back to work.  I teach in a high school and am worried about this blood stained material being attached to my head.  Do you have any suggestions for how I can cover it up?
All-in-all so far a positive experience.  I go back on the 23rd for my first check-up.  I can't wait till January.

Take care,
Keith

lori67

Re: 2 days after surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 07:54:59 pm »
Keith,

I don't think it's anything to worry about as long it's not still bleeding.  Are you able to cover it up with a small piece of gauze just so you won't scare anyone?  Although, Halloween is just around the corner - you can tell people it's part of your costume!

Other than that, perhaps a "manly" scarf?   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sefra22

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:18:22 pm »
Hi Keith,

I had GK as well, so I know the indentation you're talking about. It's been 6 months since my AN surgery, and it's pretty much gone.

As for the dried blood, I just combed a lot of it out. I remember having red dandruff for days!

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:33:12 pm »
Congratulations, Keith!  Let the countdown to BAHA gotcha day begin!!!  ;D

Sorry none of us remembered to tell you about the huge "head dress" post op.  I actually had a BAHA "hat" myself - pictures are posted on this Forum somewhere  :D

My hat didn't bother me at all, but I only wore it for 24 hours post op.  What you had sounds like the mastoid bandage I had wrapped around my head after my AN surgery - and I still remember how tight that was, so I feel for you.

The dried blood on the bandage is perfectly normal - most experience that.  Typically this bandage is held in place by a round, white plastic "cap".  Do you know how long it will be before your doc removes it? or lets you remove it?  My doc removed mine 1 week post op - and once it was removed, I didn't have to wear it or the bandage anymore.

If your cap and bandage won't be removed in time for you to return to work, you might want to call the doctor's office and ask if you can replace the bandage with a piece of gauze (like Lori suggested) and then just put the cap back on.  The main function of the bandage/cap at this point is to protect the still healing BAHA site.  As long as you protect it, I don't think the doc will mind if you replace the bandage.  But, obviously, don't just take my advice - I have no medical degree - please check with your doctor.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Richey

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 06:51:51 am »
Keith, I had the same haha surgery on the 8th, my experience pretty much sounds like yours. That huge bandage is a huge overkill for the small place but I guess was sort of like a football helment mostly for padding and protection. I had the same dried blood on the small sponge that was attached to my healing cap after removing the big dressing. I've been back to the doctor since and they took off the sponge and showed my wife how to put a new little piece of telfa gauze each day after I shower. I get a very small amount of bleeding mostly at night but it's no big deal and the gauze is easy to change and the only other thing she has to do is clean with a little peroxide and apply a little neosporin. All this is to be expected from what I have been told. Sounds like your doc did not use the healing cap which does make it easier to put the little piece of gauze on but you can always use a little tape. The telfa guze is great because it does not stick.

keithb

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 06:56:39 am »
Thanks for all of your replies.  I forgot to mention, I do have the little white cap.  I'm going to contact my doctor to see if I can take off the cap.  I might just put a small piece of gauze over the sponge and cap until I can see my doctor on Friday.

Have a great day,
Keith

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 10:01:59 pm »
Keith -

I'd imagine your doctor won't let you take the cap off completely yet; but he may let you change the dressing that is being held on by the cap.

Let us know what he says.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways