Author Topic: When to start driving?  (Read 9844 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: When to start driving?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 06:28:27 am »
Denise (in MI) .....

Congratulations on clearing the obstacle of driving again ...... and in snow, no less!!  ..... and glad you are doing so well in your general recovery from surgery.

Both Denises:  as for surgical approach in driving ..... I don't think that is a major factor because many of us had little muscle involvement even with the retrosigmoid approach.  It is more a question of balance, gaze stabilization, and overall general well-being following any surgery.

Good thoughts for both of you!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 01:07:26 pm »
 :)  Clarice, it's actually Denise in MN (Goldie) that is the postie and dealing with snow.  Gee it will be here in MI soon enough though.   Hah, that name thing could get confusing  ;)

Anyways Denise -MN aka Goldie.....I'm SUPER glad you're doing good.   I truley hope mine will  be a good recovery too! 

Thanks and best of luck for a super quick full recovery!!

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 01:20:01 pm »
Congrats on driving again! Must feel good! Can't wait to get there myself.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

another NY postie

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 01:54:49 pm »
Today is 4 weeks post op - one month! ;D I drove yesterday with my husband - first an empty, big parking lot, then a crowded parking lot, then home.  All locally in my town.  I felt good and in control.  I drove today alone to my Vestibular rehab appt which is about 20 min away but pretty much a straight shot.  Did fine.  I do not know, however, when I will be able to start driving at night.  I know from therapy (they take me in a dark room and run me through some exercises) that I function much less in the dark.  Curious to know when people started driving at night?
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 02:10:27 pm »
Curious to know when people started driving at night?

The same time as when I resumed driving during the day.  Two weeks, post-op.  Obviously, not everyone has the exact same rate of recovery, but I was highly motivated, which had to help. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 04:25:39 pm »
Cheryl .....

Re:  night driving.  I still do not feel confident driving at night, but it has to do with general eyesight, which I do not think is AN related.  However, I do not drive at night simply because I would be stuck in the car when I arrived wherever I was going because I cannot walk in the dark unassisted   ::) (I'm down to two of three balance systems to use with both vestibular nerves shot and at night I am down to one ..... not enough!).  I can drive with no problems during the day.

Clarice

Lyssa

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 09:46:54 am »
Isn't it weird how something as second nature as driving becomes a whole new event post-op??

I drove w/ two crazy dogs in the car around downtown Toronto 2 weeks post-op, I probably shouldn't have but I really wanted to go to this dog meet-up St. Paddy's day thing last spring and my hubby hadn't learned to drive standard at the time.  I drive a lot now, at 8 months post-op but  long trips really tire me out. My eye is still not tearing on it's own and I live for lacrilube... the drops just don't do it for me. This makes driving a bit nerve wracking but overall I'm comfortable with it. I should mention that pre-op I drove everywhere - and loved to drive. After surgery though, I have driven probably 50% as often, but on the bright side, my husband did finally learn how to drive a stick shift LOL!!
26 yrs old.
Diagnosed Oct. 2008 with 2cm right-sided AN
Translab surgery Feb. 9/09 at Sunnybrook in Toronto
SSD & right-sided facial paralysis, nerve still intact and fingers crossed :D

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 06:27:44 pm »
To add to the whole "everyone's different"...
I just started driving at 6.5 weeks postop and for me it's terrifying. I tried to drive at night (and in the rain..) tonight, at 7 weeks postop, and only got halfway before giving up and going home. Hope I can get it together in the next week, before I'm supposed to go back to work nightshift..
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

ghenier27

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 10:32:43 pm »
I had my surgery October 19th and was driving just 8 days later. I know this isn't the normal. And I had a different type of surgery than the 3 commonly used. I had 12 inch scar but I feel truly blesses that in my second week of recovery before my staples were out that I was drivng to Publix, Food Loin and getting into those electric carts and doing my food shopping in the stores and then driving home -  all by myself. I started walking my dogs 4 blocks twice a day in the 3rd week. I go see the doctors st Shands on the Nov 17th for my first posted op visit and cann't wait to see him.

I know we all recovery differently and that is something you should also keep in mind. I do get tired out in the afternoons but never enough to take a nap. I even stopped taking pain meds towards the begining of the 3rd week. But I wish you the best in your continuing recovery. Debi

wcrimi

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 08:16:52 pm »
I drove in a parking lot just to get a feel at about 4 weeks and was driving at about 6 weeks.
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 09:11:00 am »
I almost got behind the wheel yesterday, but then decided I would wait another few days.  My plan is to do a quick spin around the neighborhood this weekend.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Goldie

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 10:38:35 am »
Sounds like a good plan, Dennis.  I caught up on your blog a bit and am so glad to see things went well for you.  Doesn't it feel great to have the surgery behind you?  Here's to a speedy recovery and driving again!

Denise
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

wcrimi

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 11:38:20 pm »
Today is 4 weeks post op - one month! ;D I drove yesterday with my husband - first an empty, big parking lot, then a crowded parking lot, then home.  All locally in my town.  I felt good and in control.  I drove today alone to my Vestibular rehab appt which is about 20 min away but pretty much a straight shot.  Did fine.  I do not know, however, when I will be able to start driving at night.  I know from therapy (they take me in a dark room and run me through some exercises) that I function much less in the dark.  Curious to know when people started driving at night?
Cheryl

For me, it was about 2-3 weeks after I first started driving locally.  

This was my approach.

1. Parking lot
2. Local quiet streets
3. Busy streets
4. Highway
5. Night

I would say the whole process took about 1 month. As soon as I felt comfortable at one level, I went to the next. 

(glad to hear you are doing well)  ;)

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 06:28:09 am »
For me, it was about 2-3 weeks after I first started driving locally.  

This was my approach.

1. Parking lot
2. Local quiet streets
3. Busy streets
4. Highway
5. Night

I went for it yesterday and covered 1-3 in a single session.  No serious issues, but I think 4 and 5 are still a few weeks away.  As soon as it was dark I handed the keys to my wife and told her to drive Miss Daisy home  ;)
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 08:39:11 am »
Probably a good plan ..... be sure you feel safe and then you will be just fine.

Clarice