Author Topic: When to start driving?  (Read 9845 times)

Goldie

When to start driving?
« on: October 10, 2009, 12:00:34 pm »
Just would appreciate anyone's thoughts on when you know you're ready to start driving again?  I had my translab 10/1 and haven't been on narcotics for the past week.   I can turn my head pretty well and have no dizziness (walking in the dark is another matter, of course!).  I'm not really sure what to base the decision on?  The info from the hospital mostly seemed based on narcotic use.  I thought maybe I'd just try a short drive down the road early next week and see how it goes, but I certainly don't want to put anyone (me included!) at risk.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Denise
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

Cheryl R

Re: When to start driving?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 12:15:19 pm »
I was back to driving one time in 2 weeks and other times was a month.       Depends on what type of road you will be driving on and the amount of traffic.           You are doing well so would think it would be sooner for you than some.    The ability to move the head around is part of it.         My driving to the small town to the grocery store via a paved little traffic road was sooner than a Des Moines trip.           Des Moines isn't even bad as I don't have to get on the interstate or freeway very often.
   The early trips to the grocery store is always nice so you try to think what can I eat with this crappy taste!        LOL!
                                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 12:26:38 pm »
Denise ~

Resuming driving post-op is pretty much an individual issiue that has no 'right' timeframe.  I was driving - on the interstate - within 2 weeks of my surgery and never experienced a problem.  Others need months to feel confident about driving and of course, no one wants to take foolish risks behind the wheel of a car.  If you're not on narcotic medications, can turn your head easily and don't experience dizziness, then you're probably ready.  In the final analysis, you have to make the decision.  A short drive 'around the block' and on secondary roads is usually the way to test your driving ability.  I did that, for about 20 minutes, then I was on the highway and good to go.  I have a feeling that you'll be doing something similar.  Please let us know.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 03:32:33 pm »
The only problem I had with driving was being able to quickly turn my head to ensure I wasn't pulling in front of folks.  That took a while and caused more of a delay (but my surgery really did a number on neck muscles in the back).  If you are doing well with that, not on narcotics, and not having dizziness issues, I'll be you'll be great!!!

A step at a time....and listen to your body!! 

Good Luck,

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 04:05:47 pm »
Well, first of all, you need to make sure you are totally off of the narcotics.

After that, you might want to check in with your doctor.  Did he give you the okay?

When my doc gave me the okay, he said to take it slowly at first - go around the block a few times before attempting the highway or tollroad.  That was very good advice.  Local driving is a lot different than high speed driving - wonky head may be a factor.  I also found it was hard to coordinate my head and eye movements for a short time.

The only lasting driving issue I have is parking between the lines in a parking lot - still have trouble with that one 2 years post op  :D  I think I've pulled in straight, but I'm always at a angle!  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 04:18:14 pm »
Denise ~

Jan's reply made me realize that I left out a significant fact in my post regarding my experience resuming driving, post-op.  I asked for and received my neurosurgeon's permission, with the caveat that I start out on local roads, first.  I did - for 20 minutes, then, feeling confident, I hit the highway and 'never looked back', as it were.   My doctor was informed of this and didn't object, because he knew me well enough to know that I wouldn't be irresponsible about driving.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 05:44:13 pm »
Denise .....

You already have excellent advice from others.  Just wanted to add that the last hurdle for me before driving was my gaze stabilization.  I had a bit of trouble "returning to center" after quickly turning my head in either direction.  If you can maintain your focus after turning your head to check for lane changes, have no dizziness when riding in the car, and you are off the narcotics you probably will be OK.  Take easy routes with little traffic until you are confident.  Always good to have doctor's approval, of course.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Goldie

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 07:18:25 pm »
Thank you, all.  I did take your advice to heart and contacted my surgeon who thought I am okay to drive.  However, since we had SNOW today, I am going to hold off just a bit!  Unbelievable, even for Minnesota!

Denise
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 06:44:20 am »
Well, first of all, you need to make sure you are totally off of the narcotics.
Are you sure about that, because I would swear there are quite a few people in SE Michigan that drive while heavily sedated  :P

Denise - please let us know how things go!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 06:56:58 am »
Snow, already  ???

Please don't send it to Illinois!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Goldie

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 09:37:53 pm »
On the road again!  I drove today and all went fine.  More snow last night, but the roads were fine by the time I went.  I think it's going to be a looooong winter!   :(

Jim Scott

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 12:42:50 pm »
Denise ~

Congratulations!  Resumption of driving is an important 'milestone' in recovery.  You've accomplished a not-so-small victory worth celebrating. 

As I write this, we're getting some light snow in northwestern Connecticut.  Driving in snow isn't too bad - if you know how to do it (by experience) and have a decent vehicle with good tires.

Jim

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 08:10:52 pm »
Denise -

congratulations on reaching the driving milestone!  Glad it went well.

Jan

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 05:50:36 pm »
Does it matter what type of surgery you have as to how disturbed the balance is??   

My neurosurgeon here in MI told me about 3 weeks. I can get more info. at my post check up too.   I'm scheduled for Middle Fossa.

Sounds like you're doing pretty good for only being 2 weeks post-op, right?

From a follow namesake :-)

Denise (in MI)

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Goldie

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 09:55:14 pm »
How great - another Denise!  I am doing exceptionally well.  I had my stitches out today and my surgeon is so pleased with everything.  He gave me a grade 2 facial weakness (with grade 1 being perfect).  Not what any of us expected, so we're all happy campers.   ::)

I'm doing well with the balance, but I know I had already compensated for that loss over the past few years since first diagnosed.  I've had no dizziness since surgery.

I believe the surgical approach would make a difference with the driving, as I think there is less neck muscle involvement with the translab approach.  Maybe others can speak to that? 

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!

Denise (MN)