Author Topic: The Deed is Done  (Read 5580 times)

Richey

The Deed is Done
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:27:13 pm »
Had the addition to my head today for the baha, the actual procedure took around two hours including my time in recovery. So far the pain is not too bad, I'm sticking with tylenol unless it gets worse. The bandage makes me look like I belong to a middle east tribe but Margaret can peel off the top layer on Saturday.

Now to heal and wait

Pam, Lori I've already been in the chocolate but only a few, Margaret had a few too, that's one of the rewards that our 2 yr. old grand son gets for potty success.

Maybe I'll be up for questions in the next day or two.

Rich

Sefra22

Re: The Deed is Done
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 08:42:08 pm »
Congratulations, and take it easy, Rich. The hard part is over!
I, too was fine with just an over-the-counter pain reliever.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:05:37 pm »
Pam, Lori I've already been in the chocolate but only a few

Wait, am I now Pam?  Well, I've been called much worse  ;)  :D

Richey -

glad things went well.  I just knew they would.  Did you have local or general?  Just curious.

I took an Extra-Strength Tylenol or two the day of the surgery, but I think that was about it.  Most don't have pain for long.

The thing that will probably drive you the craziest is the itching - (means you're healing) - which if I remember correctly will start about one week post op.  I thought I was going to claw my abutment right out of my head  ::)

Now the countdown starts to BAHA Gotcha Day!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Richey

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:10:44 pm »
I had general sedation and it's the first time since 1968 when I was in the Air Force, much better experience this time. I guess they have learned a few things over the years to help with nausea, did not have that this time thankfully.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 11:29:26 am »
Yes, anasthesia has gotten much better over the years!   :)

Glad you are one step closer to becoming a BAHA-er.

Lori
p.s.  Jan, we all know - Jan is the evil twin, and Pam is the nice one.

Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

tenai98

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 01:37:05 pm »
Rich
When is your doc removing the packing?  Mine is waiting a month...I"m almost afraid to go....I'm sure the flesh as bonded to the packing and its gonna hurt!!!! The visiting nurse(she comes every mon, wed and frid. to change my dressinng) said the doc will wet it to loosen it up.  Jan, Lori, and others when was ur packing removed?
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Richey

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 03:57:47 pm »
JO,

I go back to the Doc on the 20th for the first dressing redo and then will get further instructions I suppose.

lori67

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 04:14:23 pm »
I had no packing.  I had the healing cap for 2 weeks and a small bandage over that for about 4 or 5 days, during which time I was allowed to shower and wash my hair.  I didn't even have a bandage on for a month after my AN surgery, so I can't imagine why you need it on there for that long, but I suppose all docs have their own way of doing things.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 06:46:21 pm »
My healing cap and the accompanying small bandage were removed a few days after my Translab/BAHA surgery -- and I never had any packing. The variations in doctors' techniques are really amazing!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 10:50:09 pm »
Jo -

I had no packing either - think that's unique to Canada and/or your doctor.  I had a "hat" that I wore for 24 hours - kind of a plastic cup that covered my BAHA site that was filled with gauze.  It was all held together with velcro straps - there's a picture somewhere on the Forum.  Under the hat was a bandage held on by the plastic healing cap that Lori and Catherine mentioned.  My healing cap was removed 1 week post op by the doc.

Jan aka Pam  ;)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Richey

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 07:24:34 am »
I know that the healing cap is in place and the doctor told my wife that it just snaps on and that if it were to come off when she takes this wrapping off with the padding to just snap it on. I'm not clear on the washing of hair with the cap on but I will call on Monday and get that cleared up. I don't have much hair but it still feels bad when you don't wash it . Don't know why the time period 12 days before going back to the doctor but it just may be case load and schedule. Anyway, we will remove this outer wrapping today and get a look at this healing cap that several of you have talked about.
I've had very little pain and for that I'm thankful.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 10:42:27 am »
Richey -

my doc allowed me to wash my hair once my "hat" was removed (24 hours post op) but said I had to hold a styrofoam cup over the site so it didn't get wet.  Not having any stryofoam cups in the house, I used a plastic one, and that's how one ended up in the Official BAHA Recovery Kit.  It's kind of awkward to hold a cup on your head while you shampoo, but well worth it.  I personally hate dirty hair - gives me the creeps (the 9 days I had to wait after my AN surgery were horrible)  :P 

As we always say, docs have different rules, so you are right to check with yours before shampooing even with the cup.

The Dawn is for the hair washing also.  Once you start putting bacitracin or neosporin on your site, your hair gets gunked up very quickly.  The Dawn cuts the grease - a tip we got from Lori.  She's a nurse in real life so to my knowledge this isn't a dangerous practice.

Glad the pain is minimal; it typically is.

Jan

lori67

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 07:20:52 pm »
OOPS ---  I forgot the cup in the BAHA kit!  Sorry, Richey, you'll have to provide your own.  I didn't have to keep my site dry, so I never used the cup - probably why I keep forgetting about it.

And I always try to get the antibacterial Dawn - the 2 birds with one stone theory! 

Lori

tenai98

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 08:04:14 pm »
I still have my healing cap on. It comes off Oct 21, basically a month after the surgery....I'm somewhat afraid to have to have the packing removed as I'm sure some tisuue had grown into the packing.....ouch ouchie....I have a visiting home nurse come in three times a week to change the bandage.....I also do it myslef but nurse makes sure its not infected....last visit, nurse said its scabbing over and looks great......Heck I"m even sleeping on it.  It is all very interesting on all the different variation in doctors.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 06:48:59 pm »
OOPS ---  I forgot the cup in the BAHA kit! 

Well, at least you didn't forget the chocolate!  ;D