Author Topic: What is biological treatment planning for radiation therapy?  (Read 3077 times)

ammeygadley

What is biological treatment planning for radiation therapy?
« on: October 05, 2009, 11:20:26 pm »
My father is undergoing radiation therapy for colon cancer. His radiation oncologist mentioned biological treatment planning, and we've seen references to it on the Internet. What does this mean?

I did ask the same question here
http://www.caring.com/questions/biological-treatment-planning-for-radiation-therapy

but looking for more answers.

Thank you

Ammey

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: What is biological treatment planning for radiation therapy?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 06:36:38 am »
Ammey -

I don't know the answer to your question - someone else here might - but do you realize this is a discussion Forum for patients/caregivers with Acoustic Neuromas?

Acoustic Neuromas are non-cancerous tumors that grow in the inner ear canal.  Although they can be treated by radiation - and it usually involves a radiation oncologist - I'm not sure radiation therapy for ANs and colon cancer is the same thing.

I wish your father nothing but the best and hope you find the answers that you seek.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: What is biological treatment planning for radiation therapy?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 02:35:54 pm »
Amney ~

Biological Treatment Planning - in regard to radiation-  is, in simple terms, the doctor's plan as to how to make the radiation efficacious.  It can get a bit complicated but I'm sure the radiation oncologist can explain it for you and/or your father.  As acoustic neuroma patients (we're not doctors) our collective knowledge of radiation procedures is necessarily limited to that which affects the treatment of ANs  - which are the only focus of this website and the forums.   

Thanks for your interest and I trust we've been able to provide a bit of help to you. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.