Author Topic: Who does the most in the surgery?  (Read 5560 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Who does the most in the surgery?
« on: October 04, 2009, 03:55:03 pm »
Well, I know there is a whole team of people in the surgery room, but my question is who does the most between the Neruosurgeon and Otologist/Neurootologist?

I am just curious and probably need to add that to my question to ask the Dr. 

I'm having Middle Fossa for AN.
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Who does the most in the surgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 04:03:43 pm »
Denise ~

This is definitely a good question for your doctor.  In my surgery, two neurosurgeon's did the work and no other doctors were involved.  However, I know it's quite common for other doctors with differing medical disciplines (Otologist/Neurootologist) to also take part in the surgery.  I suppose it's situational and determined by the doctor's preference.  I received my diagnosis after an MRI recommendation from my PCP.  He referred me to a neurosurgeon.  I picked a different neurosurgeon and he worked with an 'assistant' (also a neurosurgeon) and, as I indicated, no other doctors were in the OR that I was aware of.  Your experience may differ. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epc1970

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 04:37:16 pm »
Hi Denise
I think, I stress think, that the neurosurgeon does the bulk of the tumor and that as they get closer to the IAC the neuro-otologist takes over. I know that in my case, since I was at a teaching hospital that my surgeon's 4th year fellow was also in my surgery and probably did some of the drilling and I know for sure that he closed up my incisions-he was quite proud of his work so he made sure that I knew he did it. I have to say he did do a good job because you can barely see my scar! Definitely find out who is doing what. Knowing that I was at a teaching hospital, I made sure that it was my surgeons who would deal with the tumor. Good Luck!
Erin

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 04:58:01 pm »
My ENT removed the part of the tumor that was IAC...then the neurosurgeon took over.  No idea who closed up the wound....but whoever did, did an awesome job
jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:39:32 am »
Denise,

An ENT Prof. did most of my surgery, drilling and tumor removal.   I was very surprised though that just before they put me under 4 anesthesiologists came in and introduced themselves, each saying that they would be monitoring something else (hearing, facial nerve, vital signs, and I think one was just to look over the shoulders of the other 3)  I couldn't believe there would be that many Dr. just to monitor. 

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

lori67

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 06:07:45 am »
My neurotologist did everything outside the Dura Mater and the neurosurgeon did everything inside.  I'm not sure who did more work - I was asleep at the time!   :D

While the neurosurgeon was doing his thing, I know my neurotologist was doing the liposuction portion.  I know he also went out to the waiting room to update my husband on my status a couple of times, so I am assuming that was while the neurosurgeon was working on me.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 07:12:57 am »
Most docs split the duties and they all have their own routine/preferences.

I'd have to re-read my surgical report to figure out who did what, but I know for a fact that both my neurotologist and my neurosurgeon removed my AN (it's a long, tedious process where they basically peel it apart layer by layer).  Most AN surgeries take a long time (mine was 7 1/2 hours) and being "close" work - done through a microscope - it's another reason why the docs alternate duties.  A "fresh" pair of eyes is always nice  ;D

I also know that my neurotologist stitched me up, because my parents (who were in the waiting room) told me so.  There was a board in the waiting room that showed which surgeries were scheduled at what times and with what surgeons.  They were getting concerned because they hadn't heard "enough" (in their opinion) about me and my progress and then they saw that the neurosurgeon was in another operating room - while I was still in mine  :o  My neurotologist cleared up that mystery for them, when the sewing was done, and that made them feel much better.

Jan

I forgot to note that in addition to making sure your doc is experienced at AN surgery, if there is a team, you should also ask how often they work together.  My neurotologist only works with one neurosurgeon for AN surgeries (and one radiation oncologist for GK) which made a big difference in my mind (no pun intended). 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:16:36 am by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 06:02:10 pm »

While the neurosurgeon was doing his thing, I know my neurotologist was doing the liposuction portion.  I know he also went out to the waiting room to update my husband on my status a couple of times, so I am assuming that was while the neurosurgeon was working on me.

Lori
[/quote]

WHAT ????   YOU WERE ABLE TO GET LIPOSUCTION AT THE SAME TIME ;D   What a great 2 fer deal  :D  I tried real hard to get them to take a little extra when the took out the fat graph from my belly, but def no lipo  LOL

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

lori67

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 06:41:42 pm »
Patti UT -

Ok, it was actually the fat graft, but liposuction sounds so much more trendy, don't you think?

And I asked him to do the whole area while he was there and donate the extra to the "fat bank" for skinny AN patients.   You would think if they have a blood bank and a bone bank, they'd have a fat bank, but I suppose most people aren't really in need of any more of that.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 05:41:39 pm »
Well, I was told the neurosurgeon seems to do the most. 

I was mostly asking because when searching this site, I was just curious because of how some people made their desicion on where to have their surgery based on the number of surgeries the otologist has done, and never took into consideration how many the neurosurgeon has done.

The neurosurgeon who works with MEI in Michigan does on average 3 per week.  The last time we spoke, he actually had 6 that week alone.  It is his #1 interest..........I'd say I'm in good hands :-)   (Dr. Pieper)

thanks again
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

lori67

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 05:54:07 pm »
I guess we could always look at our doctor bills and see who got paid more.  Do you think they get paid by the hour?   :D

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 10:49:18 pm »
I guess we could always look at our doctor bills and see who got paid more. 

I still recall my doctor bills from my AN surgery.  My anesthesiologist actually got paid more than both my neurotologist and my neurosurgeon.  Sad, but true.   He was out of network - the other two docs were in network - and by the time my insurance company paid all 3 of them, the anesthesiologist made out the best.   I told my neurotologist that he and my neurosurgeon got ripped off.

As for the fat graft, I too asked for liposuction.  My docs told me that everyone asks for that - and no, they couldn't do it.  Damn!  :(

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways