Author Topic: Gold Weight Implant  (Read 38565 times)

doctorb

Gold Weight Implant
« on: October 01, 2009, 11:29:28 am »
 :) I'm scheduled to have a Gold Weight implanted in my left eye-lid next week.  Any advise on what to expect during and after this out-patient procedure?

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Gold Weight Implant
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 04:52:27 pm »
The surgery's a breeze compared to the AN nightmare !    I had some swelling & bruising - used ice packs when I got home.  Some Tylenol for pain, but it wasn't bad.
You'll really appreciate how good your eye looks with the weight (my eye was wide open before the weight).  I went back to work after a few days.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 05:39:27 pm »
My ophthalmologist told me that I could expect a black eye for up to four weeks. But I didn't get one at all! Everyone in the office came to see the miracle lady at my one-week checkup. In general I bruise very easily so I thought I would have a black eye for sure.

I was scrupulous in keeping it iced that first evening, which I am sure helped.

Best wishes for an equally successful procedure.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

doctorb

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 05:44:37 pm »
Thanks Ladies, I can't wait for it to be done already...I'm tired of having to tape my eye shut and wearing an eye patch...very unpleasant as I'm sure you know.

Take Care!

Doc

mandy721

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 06:48:52 pm »
My husband's was done when he was still in the hospital, but it was a quick in and out at The Eye Institute.  The procedure took about an hour and he was feeling OK when he was  wheeled back to his room.  He looked like he had been in quite a fight, but the swelling, which was minor, receded after a few days, as did the discoloration.  Just like Nancyann, Ken feels that the weight was a good decision;  being able to close the eye is fantastic and has made life better.  He now uses a Glad Press and Peel (I think that's the name) patch at night under his sleep mask which is a lot easier than taping. 

Mandy
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

doctorb

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 06:04:42 am »
Mandy,

My schedule has me getting on a flight three days after the procedure, is that a good idea? 

Doc

mandy721

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 06:57:27 am »
Doc,

Ken thinks it would have been ok to fly with three days aftr surgery.  Must disclose that his procedure was done about two weeks after a very complicated AN surgery and he was still recovering from that.  If you are traveling,make sure that you have an adequate supply of ointment, drops and anything else you are using for the eye.  Ken continues to cover the eye at night with  a piece of Glad Wrap to keep the moisture in.

Mandy
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:32:03 am by mandy721 »
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 07:04:43 am »
Doc~
I have had several of these over my 13 years and they are a piece of cake!!  I actually went from one straight to my daughter's soccer game so I don't think that flying will be any problem!  I use frozen peas in little baggies as ice bag since they can "mold" to the shape more and get the cold where it needs to be.  I bruise easy & had horrible bruises every time EXCEPT the one time right around Halloween that I WANTED it to bruise!  LOL! 
Good Luck!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

doctorb

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 07:43:22 am »
Thanks Kay, I really wasn't too worried about anything going terribly wrong because of a plane ride.  It was more of a cosmetic issue; would I scare small children in the airport with a giant puffy eye..stuff like that. 

You talk about bruising easily, I take Plavix for the half dozen stents in my heart so not only do I bleed easily, I bruise like an inept prize fighter.  I'll stop taking the Plavix this Sunday night, same schedule as my surgery, three days prior.  My Cardiologist doesn't like it when I come off the Plavix but we don't have much of a choice, it's the only way they can do any procedure without me bleeding all over the place.  During my nine hour AN surgery, they had a Cardiologist at the ready because I also had a Triple Bypass last year and there was some concern there.  My Neuro Surgeon was more worried about my heart stopping during the surgery than anything less and said he'd limit the length of the Surgery based on how my heart was doing under the strain.  It hasn't been an easy 18 months for me, first the Bypass Surgery and than this, I sometimes wonder who I pissed off?

Thanks again!

Doc

moe

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 07:48:29 am »
~Doc~
Kind of like a visit to the dentist in comparison to AN surgery.
Keep it iced like people say. 20 min on, 20 min off after surgery, and don't leave the hospital without ice!
Motrin too for swelling if they allow it. And lots of eye ointment......
With the eye weight I'm unable to close the eye lying flat and still use a little piece of paper tape at night. Actually the Glad press and seal is a great idea, Mandy!
I've also started acupuncture to help "move" the face along (different thread) and the eye is closing easier with treatments.
When I have the needles in, I can actually close that left eye lying down with some effort.
Good luck next week :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

doctorb

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 07:57:45 am »
Thanks Maureen...acupuncture ah?  My son is going to be driving me down to the Marietta Surgical Center where the procedure is being done, and we've already talked about making sure we have our own ice or bags of frozen pee's in the car ready for the ride home just in case.  Yeah, Glad press and seal; I would have never thought of using it...right now I'm taping my left eye shut and than putting a stick on patch over the tape so I look a little less ridiculous...easier said than done!  I'm wearing the tape and patch 24/7...hopefully that will change after the procedure next Wednesday...which will also be my ninth week out right to the day!  :)

Thanks again!

Doc

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 03:40:28 pm »
Doc:  FYI:  I use something called NITEYE Bubble Bandage,the Dry Eye comforter every night.  It's a plastic oval with adhesive all around it - I found it alot easier to use than plastic wrap, & the glad & seal didn't work for me (I can't figure the stuff out !).   Anyway,  the NITEYE is pricey, about $21.00 for 14 nonsterile bandages.
The people at Medtronic are great - 1st you get a customer #, then you call back the next day & they take your order - I get mine (by the case now) usually the next business day or so.   If you're interested the tel # is 1-800-974-5797.

2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

doctorb

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 05:52:25 pm »
Doc:  FYI:  I use something called NITEYE Bubble Bandage,the Dry Eye comforter every night.  It's a plastic oval with adhesive all around it - I found it alot easier to use than plastic wrap, & the glad & seal didn't work for me (I can't figure the stuff out !).   Anyway,  the NITEYE is pricey, about $21.00 for 14 nonsterile bandages.
The people at Medtronic are great - 1st you get a customer #, then you call back the next day & they take your order - I get mine (by the case now) usually the next business day or so.   If you're interested the tel # is 1-800-974-5797.

Thanks Nancy, I hadn't heard of NITEYE until now.  I'll make that call Monday check it out!

Thanks for the info!

Doc

doctorb

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 05:55:27 pm »
Nancy,

Did a Google search, NITEYE is available on-line at https://store.medtronicent.com/product.php?productid=16303&cat=0&bestseller.  

Doc

doctorb

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 06:04:01 pm »
Disregard my last--the web site ordering system is for Doctor's only, crap...Doc is only nick name!