Author Topic: punctoplasty / conjunctivoplasty  (Read 9646 times)

rsteph

punctoplasty / conjunctivoplasty
« on: September 28, 2009, 02:56:47 pm »
Does anyone know of anyone on the forum that has had punctoplasty or conjunctivoplasty procedures?
3.7 cm AN Translab Aug 08' 100 percent removal UT Southwestern - CSF leak, Bacterial Meningitus. Rt side Facial Paralysis.  Partial facial movement returned 11 months post op.  Still healing

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: punctoplasty / conjunctivoplasty
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:08:39 pm »
rs -

I just did a search on both of these words and nothing comes up but your post.

Is there another name for either of these procedures?

Jan
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 10:12:17 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 12:19:17 am »
Having Googled both terms, and verified that they have something to do with the eyes, I have moved this topic to the Eye Issues section.

The closest I have heard of on the forum is NancyAnn, who had a glass tube inserted to help drain tears into the nose. I believe punctoplasty has the same goal, but does so by widening or clearing a blocked up duct.

You can pick up on NancyAnn's experience here: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5544.msg94813#msg94813

Hope it goes well for you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

rsteph

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 04:31:03 pm »
yes, one procedure widens the tear duct and the other involves two stitches with fishing line, believe it, the goal is to help tears drain and the other  is to tighten the skin so your eye does not look larger or full of tears. I only get this way when I eat or work out or have wind blowing in my eye.  I know someone on this forum has had this done.  It is reversable.  I am doing well.  I got movement at 10 months post opt, just  a little, and it has improved so much that I can pull my lip up a little to almost smirk.  I am just concerned about the procedure I am having done next wk and wanted to know from someonewho has been through it.  My AN  removal had the worst possible outcome CSF, bacterial meningitis, and had tolearn to walk again but I  am happy I have movement returning.  My nerve was not cut. 3.5 cm
3.7 cm AN Translab Aug 08' 100 percent removal UT Southwestern - CSF leak, Bacterial Meningitus. Rt side Facial Paralysis.  Partial facial movement returned 11 months post op.  Still healing

lori67

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 04:37:57 pm »
I had a lateral tarsorraphy, which involves a few stitches in the outer corner of my eye so I don't have the one-eyed deer-in-the-headlights look.  And I had my tear ducts cauterized because the tears I do make would drain out of my eye too fast and I was doing quite a number on my cornea.  Now that I make some more tears, I have the problem with the drippy eye when I eat or when I am in a windy place, but it's not bad enough for me to want the tear ducts un-cauterized yet.

Are we getting closer?   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 05:19:55 pm »
I can't remember the name of the last 2 surgeries I had:  like Steve said,  I had a 'pyrex tube' put in the inner corner of my eye & through the bone so it drains my tears into the sinus;  at the same time I had my lower lid attached to the orbital bone & that seems to be holding up better/longer than the lateral tarsal strip I had done 3 times.
The only thing that seems to be happening since the tube was put in is that I need to put in lubricant more frequently since my tears drain so well - but I'd rather do that then have to keep wiping the tears off my cheek.   Both these procedures were done by an oculoplastic surgeon.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

rsteph

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 03:43:00 pm »
I should have followed-up after surgery knowing that someone will ultimately type in these two procedures again.  The surgery, if it should be called a surgery, is very minor and only took 15 minutes and you can return to work the next day.   You may have a minor black eye that clears up in a few days other than that it is relatively painless.   Punctoplasty is a minor procedure to widen a tear duct so that excessive tears can drain normally and not cause a bottom eyelid to droop.  Conjunctivoplasty involves strong thin fishing line and two minor incisions under the bottom eyelid and upper corner resulting in the tightening of the eyelid, snugging it more to the eyeball so the tears are somewhat forced to drain.  I can attest that these two procedures improved tear drainiage and my eyelid does not droop like it did before these procedures and it has improved my appearence..