Author Topic: Sinead or Donald?  (Read 12962 times)

imnocleaver

Sinead or Donald?
« on: September 27, 2009, 07:30:04 pm »
After seeing ilsemor's thread on hair issues, and reading what others have gone through post-surgery, I'm curious:

Did any of you (especially the ladies out there), upon seeing how much hair was shaved off for surgery, just decide the heck with it and shave off your whole head of hair so it would all grow in at once?  Or did you just cleverly cover your scar with hair/scarf/Elmer Fudd hat/etc.?

Just trying to decide, if it were to become necessary, if I have enough moxie to pull off the Sinead O'Connor look from the early 90's while my hair grows back, or if I should just opt for an extended version of the Donald Trump combover.

Or I could always go with a nice fez.

Thanks!
Michelle
5mm left IAC AN dx 7/13/09
January 2010 MRI showed no measurable growth
W&W!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Sinead or Donald?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 08:11:23 pm »
Michelle .....

There are several pictures floating on various threads (I did not take time to try and find them) of surgical sites of different forum members.  Many of us had very little hair shaved ...... some virtually none at all, which was amazing to me.  I had fairly short hair at the time of surgery (3 inch-ish) via retrosigmoid approach and once the white bandages were off, no one could even see my incision.  When people found out I had just had brain surgery, they would give me that "Sure you did!"  ::) look until I pulled my hair back so they could see it.

I certainly would not consider shaving my head ..... others may chime in here with thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 09:18:16 pm »
My Dr. told me NOT to cut my hair at all - I had the Translab and they just shaved about 1/4-1/2" and then just used super duper gel to hold the rest back!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 06:13:24 am »
Hi Michelle,

Ok, as a licensed cosmetologist, have to chime in with my 2 cents.

Based on a multitude of incision pictures and in person I've seen for AN surgery (male and female), please remember that hair grows, on average, approx 1/2" per month.  There is absolutely no need to shave your head (unless you like the look and want something daring in making a fashion statement) for AN surgery.  Creative accessorizing (ie: use of head scarves, hats, etc) may also help the cause.  Depending on which surgical approach is being done, there are creative ways to help cover the incision site until it grows back...... 

again, just my opinion. But, you do what you feel is best for you.  See what it's like after the surgery.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 07:43:11 am »
Wasn't an issue at all for me...my hair covered up the area completely...I almost wish it had been more dramatic - I felt very guilty being wheeled through the airport in LA and Atl looking perfectly fine ;)  A bald head with the incision showing would have resulted in much more sympathy from all the passengers I cut in front of ::)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 07:43:34 am »
I had fairly short hair at the time of surgery (3 inch-ish) via retrosigmoid approach and once the white bandages were off, no one could even see my incision. 

This is my experience EXACTLY.  The fact that my incision was behind my ear (retrosigmoid approach) meant it was in a place that few people tend to look - unless they knew I had the surgery.

I was pleasantly pleased with the lack of hair that my docs shaved and by the time I had my stitches removed (9 days post op) my hair had already started growing in around my incision.

Even if your hair is long, I don't think most docs go wild with the razor.  From what I've read on the forum, most of them just lift up the hair and shave underneath - so once surgery is over the long hair works well to hide the shaved patch.

Don't pull a Sinead - there's no need for it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 10:32:48 am »
Hi Michelle,

I have long hair. Before getting wheeled in (I had retrosigmoid also), I told them to be conservative with the hair shaving. The hair that was left covered it up nicely, but I couldn’t resist showing off my new do and scar to anyone who was willing to look! ;D

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

Nani

• It's not rocket science. Just brain surgery.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 10:41:15 am »
I had requested they shave it all off.  My surgeon told me if I still felt the same way after surgery, he would finish the job.  So little hair was shaved compared to what I expected.  I am glad he made me wait until after surgery to decide.
- AN surgery 3-17-09. 3.8 x 5.1cm tumor.  1 month in the hospital and a couple in ST, OT and PT.

*People are always going to be behind you telling you you can't.  The important thing is to turn around and say 'watch me'.

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 11:18:07 am »
With translab, I only had a couple inches above the ear shaved.  No one could see it unless I lifted my hair.  I noticed you posted on Cheryl's caringbridge...did you see her mid fossa photo?  That's quite a bit of shaved head there!  But I think once she brushes out her hair it may cover.  After surgery, the hair gets matted and covered in ointment, so that photo may not be what will actually show.
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

MissMolly

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 02:02:35 pm »
Before surgery I had my hairdresser retool my short haircut, leaving lots length on the top that would cover what I guessed would be shaved.  It really worked out beautifully and covered the incision site nicely.  Also, my neurosurgeon's mother and sister were hairdressers and he explained that long ago he had been 'schooled' on what to shave and what not to shave during surgery.  So he left a little bit of hair near the hairline so that it could cover as well.  3 months post op I just had coloring and a new cut last week.  Can't tell I had surgery at all!  At least from my hair!!

Hope everybody is well!!

Miss Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

OTO

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 11:06:24 pm »
The only discomfort regarding hair... is not being able to wash it for 7 days....   When I was finally allowed to get my whole head wet...  that was heaven....  I just sat under the shower for about an hour... 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 06:13:02 am »
Ain't it the truth? 

I couldn't shampoo for nine days  :o so the first shampoo was like heaven  ;D

I wish I would have thought to use baby shampoo though.  I got some shampoo in my eyes - and immediately closed them - which made for a very interesting and dangerous situation given my balance issues @ the time.

Some use a shower bench post op - wish I would have thought of that.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

another NY postie

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 06:53:53 am »
Ok, sitting here with a newly minted, bad to the bone,  Middle Fosa scar, you will see there are many option for this hair things.  I have long hair and Dr. Brackmann likes a clean slate.  They seem to shave more for MIddle.  Actually I am ready just in tme for Halloween!  Seriously I wasn't expecting it, was a bit shocked but am ok with my last of the Mohengan look.

caringbridge.com
cherylroberto

for photos.

I will most likley NOT go down to Astor Place in NYC village when I get hiome, as tempting as it is to just go for a once-in-a-lifetime Mohawk but it fun to fantasize!

I think  will be buying some of the current scarfs and finding my inner Woodstock, I think, this fall.

THe strangest thing is I have half a head of hair pulled on one side, and then my Punky side, and I don't feel the least self-conscious about it.  Don't mess with a postie on steriods! ;D
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 07:46:42 am »
Yea - Cheryl is posting again!  With humor too!  Have you fully washed and brushed your hair yet?  That's almost a full days job!
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

Seal

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 05:41:50 pm »
Well, you didn't say that this was an exclusively "ladies thread" so I'll chime in here.     First of all, we all know what Stoneaxe did after his operation.   So there is no questions there that need answering!!    I did however have a pretty good head of hair going into the operation.    I really wanted to take advantage of my only chance to have a Mohawk in my (older) lifetime.     But ironically, I was overuled by my KIDS!!!      I guess that they could not take the embarrasement of having their  52 yr old father walking around town with a Mohawk!      So I borrowed a friend's electric razor, and placed the adjustable teeth on a low setting and went to work.     I haven't had one of those types of haircuts in 40 years!!!       However, I did get most of the hair back to a short of average length about four weeks after surgery.    It sure was nice to return to an almost normal looking existence.     The kids even stopped calling me Frankenstein!!!!
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.