Author Topic: Awaiting MRI results...please weigh in.  (Read 4189 times)

thescientist

Awaiting MRI results...please weigh in.
« on: September 23, 2009, 12:52:48 pm »
Well…as of yesterday morning I had never heard of AN.

But last night I had an MRI to find out if this was the cause of several symptoms I have experienced as of late.
It has been a barrage of seemingly not connected complaints that I have experienced which have brought me to this point. The main and most pressing one, and the one that made me seek medical treatment, is a sudden, insanely loud, ringing in my right ear. The kind of ringing one experiences after a loud localized explosion near the ear, like a firecracker going off 2 feet away. The ringing can go on for 1 hour or a day. There is not consistency to the duration.
Accompanying this is a feeling of mild numbness on the right side of my face. The doctor asked if the word “fullness” described it, which it does perfectly. I haven't experienced vertigo, but when the ringing happens, I've felt slightly….unsure…of my footing. My right eye has watered on occasion when this has happened. This ringing has gone on a few months now.
I have also been wrestling with unexplained depression over the last couple of years. I have had persistent headaches, although not bad ones. My concentration and memory have suffered, but I wrote that off to age (I’m a 53 year old male).  I now wonder if all this could be tied in.
Anyway, I eventually ended up with an ear, nose and throat doctor, and yesterday and he suggested the MRI to “rule certain things out”. The certain things, when pressed, I found out to be AN. He informed me that a more likely cause was a viral infection of some type, but on reading of the symptoms to AN, everything sure fits.

So, I sincerely hope to not be joining your ranks, but also hoped that you could either alleviate my concerns or confirm them.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Awaiting MRI results...please weigh in.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 12:55:37 pm »
Hi Scientist and welcome (UGA, eh? :)  My nephew is a grad of UGA )

welcome. Hoping they did the MRI WITH contrast as its truly the best way to determine, for sure, if you have a mass (ie: AN).  Here's hoping you don't and that they are able to find out what is causing all of your issues.  There are multitudes of reasons for similar symptoms and hoping its not an AN (and it to be something very easily managed/curable)

Please keep us updated on the MRI results... and let's hope you are not joining our ranks.

again, welcome!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 01:42:16 pm »
Hello, scientist - and welcome. 

I can understand your anxiety as you await the results of the MRI scan but we're not doctors and even if we were, we couldn't offer a credible opinion, based on your symptoms, as to whether or not you've developed an acoustic neuroma.  As Phyl stated, those symptoms could well be caused by a viral infection or something other than an acoustic neuroma.  Hence, the need for the MRI.  I certainly hope the scan won't show that you've developed an acoustic neuroma.  You'll know soon enough. If you do have an AN, we're here to inform and support you in any way possible.  If you don't have an AN, all the better.  Please let us know.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 08:11:26 am »
Hi, Scientist.

I certainly can relate to your concerns, but don't say "AN" until your MRI results are in.  An MRI with gadolinium contrast is really the only definitive way to diagnose - or rule out - an acoustic neuroma.

While I'm hopeful you don't have one, if you do, please continue to join us here on the Forum.  It's a great place and we'll help you get through this.

When do you get your results?

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 05:53:58 pm »
I agree with Jan.  An AN can't be diagnosed sometimes until the surgery is done. I went into surgery w/my neurotologist convinced it was an AN and my neurologist convinced it was a meningioma.  The neurologist won, but the surgery was the same regardless.  Keep us informed of what is happening.  There's a wealth of wisdom to be found here!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Nani

• It's not rocket science. Just brain surgery.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 08:19:30 am »
While I see your concerns over you symptoms, don't freak out just yet.  As I saw someone say on this board, "don't borrow tomorrow's troubles".  MUCH easier said than done but if you do have an AN, you will make it through just fine.  This board is full of survivors who will always lend a shoulder and comfort.
- AN surgery 3-17-09. 3.8 x 5.1cm tumor.  1 month in the hospital and a couple in ST, OT and PT.

*People are always going to be behind you telling you you can't.  The important thing is to turn around and say 'watch me'.

thescientist

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:15:20 am »
Results were negative.
Thanks to all for the support. You people are the BEST. I wish health and happiness to all of you.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 11:51:35 am »
Scientist ~

I'm not sure you'll ever see this post but I wanted to offer my congratulations to you on the news that you don't have an acoustic neuroma.  While we 're eager to help and support AN patients, we're just as pleased to learn that someone who suspected they might have developed an AN, finds out - via MRI scan - that they do not.  Thanks for the kind words and I hope the real cause of your symptoms are soon found and corrected.  Thanks for posting.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 09:45:44 pm »
That's wonderful news, Scientist  ;D

You're still welcome to join us on the forum, though, if you want to.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways