Author Topic: Coclear Implants and MRI testing  (Read 2560 times)

Vivian B.

Coclear Implants and MRI testing
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:13:33 am »
Hi,

I found this article interestinig. I want it to share it with all of you. I hope I copied the link correctly.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/131308.php
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Sefra22

Re: Coclear Implants and MRI testing
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:21:50 pm »
That's interesting, but I think it applies to Cochlear implants, not the BAHA abutments, which are not magnetized. I was assured that it would be safe for me to have my annual MRI's.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:24:40 pm »
Hi,

MRIs are fine with BAHAs. You should certainly tell the MRI technician that you have a BAHA implant -- and remove the actual BAHA device during the MRI procedure, but there will be no problems. I agree with Lisa -- the article is discussing Cochlear implants and has nothing to do with BAHAs.

Catherine (Jersey Girl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:58:31 pm »
MRIs are fine with BAHAs. You should certainly tell the MRI technician that you have a BAHA implant -- and remove the actual BAHA device during the MRI procedure, but there will be no problems.

Absolutely correct.  I have had two MRI's post BAHA surgery and I will be having many more in the future.

All the BAHA "parts" implanted into the skull are titanium and therefore aren't an issue.

And, no, they don't set off the metal detectors at the airports either  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways