Author Topic: BAHA out of pocket payment  (Read 6876 times)

kma

BAHA out of pocket payment
« on: September 14, 2009, 09:34:07 am »
I had my BAHA surgery at the end of July and in six weeks, I'll receive my processor.  I was told that I would need to pay $500.00 at the time I get my processor ~ the doctors office does not submit the bill to insurance and that the $500.00 was my responsibility to pay.  I'm fine with paying the $500.00.  My insurance company is Blue Cross/Blue Shield and with all my medical bills this year, I have met my out of pocket maximum and am currently not receiving any medical bills and will not be through the end of the year.

So, I thought I would pay the $500.00 and then submit a claim to Blue Cross and see if they'd cover it.  I called Blue Cross and they told me how to do it (form, copy of my payment receipt, doctor's procedure code, etc.)  I then called my doctor to tell them what I planned to do and to find out what the procedure code is and they said they do not have a procedure code or a billing code because people just pay the $500.00 and never submit it to their insurance company.  Well, I'm thinking that seems silly and I can't be the only person wanting to try to get reimbursed for it. 

Does everyone pay the $500 out of pocket and has anyone ever tried to get reimbursed from their insurance company? 

If anyone has a suggestion for me ~ please let me know.

Thanks!!

Kathy (kma)
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: BAHA out of pocket payment
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 03:02:11 pm »
Kathy ~

I think it's a bit supercilious for your doctor's office to refuse to submit their charge to an insurance company for payment, but you seem O.K. with it so who am I to complain?  Besides, I can see that you really have no choice but to try submitting your own claim to recover the $500. you've been forced to spend to obtain your processor.

I would call Blue Cross, explain your situation (that you're submitting your own claim) and ask the rep to give you the proper procedure code.  They should have that information available.  I wouldn't accept any excuses.  There is no way you could know the procedure code number and it shouldn't be considered proprietary information in the sense that they require it to pay a claim and your doctor's office is refusing to give it to you on what I consider pretty specious grounds.   I hope you're successful with your claim.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 07:32:00 pm »

Does everyone pay the $500 out of pocket and has anyone ever tried to get reimbursed from their insurance company? 

Kathy (kma)

No, I didn't pay $500 out-of-pocket for my BAHA.

Re: your doctor's office being unwilling to submit any of their billing (or other) information to your insurance company -- I was talking to a friend last week -- nothing to do with BAHAs or acoustic neuromas, by the way --  who mentioned that one of her doctors won't submit anything to an insurance company which would enable her to possibly get a refund or at least get counted against her annual deductible. It seems like an odd policy and I can't imagine what the reason would be.

I hope you can get this resolved ... or at least manage to do it without the assistance of the doctor's office.

Catherine (Jersey Girl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 09:04:34 pm »
I paid nothing for my BAHA surgery or my Divino.  My insurance company paid for everything - I had already met my deductible for the year.

Good luck; I hope this all works out.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mellowrama

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 01:06:23 am »
Kathy,
That is what I was told also by the audiology doctor about the 500...  I didn't think about sending it directly to BCBS.  Sounds like I'm on the some boat as you, please let me know what you discoverd as i would like to avoid any additinal costs.
thanks, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:21:14 am »
Good point, Cami. 

Doctors pretty much make their own rates for BAHAs and build in their own profits.  If you are able to negotiate with your doctor before the fact you would be able to save some money.

Flexible spending plans (aka cafeteria plans) also cover hearing aids of any type including the BAHA.  My insurance company paid for my Divino, but I'll be funding the BP100 out of my flexible spending plan in 2010. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways