Author Topic: Cleaning around my abutment  (Read 5454 times)

Sefra22

Cleaning around my abutment
« on: September 12, 2009, 05:29:49 pm »
Okay, first of all I am a little embarrassed that I have to ask this.(Okay a lot embarrassed) But after finding out I have a mild infection around my abutment, I need to know exactly how to clean it.

I have the soft brush (Thanks Jan and Lori!), but do I use it dry or wet? Do I put soap on it? Do I use this everyday?

My Dr was supposed to go over this with me when I scheduled to get the Divino, then I heard about the upgrade, so we cancelled that appt. So anyway, I waited 5 weeks for the BP100, and all we talked about during that appt. was the device, not my head. So I have just been cleaning it when I shampoo....obviously not workin' for me :-[

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

lori67

Re: Cleaning around my abutment
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:32:27 pm »
I wouldn't be embarrassed - it's not like cleaning around a BAHA abuttment is common knowledge!!   :D

Anyway, it seems all doctors recommend different ways of cleaning your abuttment - mine had me clean with a soft toothbrush right from the very beginning.  I know other doctors say not to do that.  I had a problem with infections around mine because I think I was being a little overzealous with the toothbrush (my dentist tells me the same thing) and that would probably cause little scratches that would let germs in.  Now, I use it about once a week and just remember to be a little more gentle.  I used antibacterial soap for a while, but now that I haven't had any problems (knock on wood) I just use shampoo.  I also have a handheld shower head, so I can aim the water right at the abuttment and make sure all the soap is rinsed off and it's nice and squeaky clean.

The first year, I also had an issue with the skin wanting to grow over the abuttment, which would make it easier to become irritated....leading to infection....I have a steroid cream called Clobetasol that I can put on now if I notice it getting puffy.  I put a little on at night and by the morning it's fine. 

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but after the first year with mine, it's really low maintenance.  So, I don't think I actually answered your question, but you should probably check with your doctor to see if he's a fan of the toothbrush or not.  Good luck!

Lori
So,
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sefra22

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 08:48:55 pm »
Thanks Lori, your info helped a lot!

I got some creme for a psoriasis patch from my dermatologist yesterday, and it is the same steroid creme you mentioned! What a coincidence! I doubt I'll need it for my head, though.

My site was cauterized on Fri., so I will probably wait a day to clean it with the brush.
Thanks again,
Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 09:45:32 pm »
Lisa -

I'm glad the toothbrush in your Lori & Jan recovery kit came in handy, but I have to ask.  Didn't you also get a Cochlear toothbrush when you got your processor?  I got a very nice one, along with some other "goodies" when I got my Divino.  The audiologist went through all the goodies with me and explained everything I needed to know; she also programmed my Divino. 

My doc has always told me that I can just clean my abutment with a washcloth and mild soap or shampoo, but I don't do anything special.  I pretty much just let it get clean when I shampoo (daily).  Every once in a while, I use my toothbrush.

I haven't had any infections, but I did have a mild irritation about 9 months ago.  I just used bacitracin for a couple of days and it was fine.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sefra22

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 08:59:35 am »
Jan,
I did get a brush with the BP100, but I was told to use that on the device, not the abutment.

My BP100 isn't programmed yet because the audiologist needed training from a Cochlear rep. I'm sure that being the only person in Maine with the BP100 so far, it may not have been a priority to get someone up here to train her on the new processor. This took place this past Friday. Because of my schedule, I won't see her until Thurs the 24th.

I called her before she met with the rep, and told her all of the issues I am having with it, so I hoping things will improve after my next meeting. I am also seeing the Dr.during  the same visit, so maybe we can all work together to make this work for me.

My Dr. told me on Friday that I need to wear it all the time to get used to it. But the feedback is driving me crazy. I turn the volume down as low as I can, but then it doesn't feel like it's working at all. I don't know if I can take this for 2 more weeks, so I may end up having to store it until then >:(

Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 06:41:23 am »
Jan,
I did get a brush with the BP100, but I was told to use that on the device, not the abutment.

I have never, ever heard of this  ???  I've had my Divino since June 2008 and haven't cleaned it at all - it hasn't needed it.

Did you get some literature with your BP100; perhaps a little booklet that tells about it?  I seem to recall receiving something with my Divino. 

I hope things get better once you see the audiologist.  IMO, they shouldn't have given you the BP100 if it wasn't programmed yet - kind of defeats the purpose of having it; and I'd imagine it would also be kind of discouraging since it doesn't appear to be working correctly.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 06:45:56 am »
Jan,

My audiologist suggested using the brush that came with the BAHA to clean the processor too.  I guess to keep dust and stuff from getting into the inner workings.    I use a baby toothbrush to clean my abutment and the other one to clean the processor.

Maybe you don't get as much dust on your head since you're tall.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 06:59:44 am »
Jan and Lori,

Cochlear sent me a kit (they must have hear a bout yours and gotten jealous)  It contained, along with a few other things, a brush for my abutment and a smaller one for my processor.  It also contained wipes for my abutment and processor, as well as a battery tester/holder keychain and a small mirror.  My doc had told me to just wipe the processor with a slightly dampened cloth once in a while but only because I asked.  I clean the processor a couple of times a week.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 07:07:22 am »
Jan and Lori,

Cochlear sent me a kit (they must have hear a bout yours and gotten jealous) 

Hmmm  :(  Bet it didn't include chocolate though!  ;D

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 09:11:45 am »
Hi Jan!

Nope -- no chocolate!!  Your kit was definitely superior!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

grega

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 10:50:45 am »
Oh my!  A little soft brush ..... chocolate .... I'm starting to salivate!  Guess it's time to, once again, contact my audiologist company to get the baha-ball rolling.  My last request was Sept 2 !  ???
Perhaps time to check with another audiologist too.

BTW, a couple months ago, Mike sent a link to Cochlear's manual for surgeons ..... who knows where he go it.  Anyway, I think it included cleaning procedures, which might help.

Hey Mike, if you're listening, please try to re-post that link.

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

lori67

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 02:14:28 pm »
Darn it, I knew we should have patented that idea, Jan!  Cochlear is moving in on our territory!

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 09:18:33 pm »
Yea, Lori, we definitely missed the boat on that one  ::)  guess we'll just have to work on selling franchise rights to our garage surgery business  :D

Greg -

I'd imagine Mike found the manual on Cochlear's website - go to www.cochlearamericas.com and search.

And get going on that appointment - before I eat all the chocolate I've stocked up for the BAHA Recovery Kits!  ;)

Jan