Author Topic: Upcoming MRI  (Read 7398 times)

Vivian B.

Upcoming MRI
« on: September 08, 2009, 07:48:19 am »
Hi Everybody,

I wasn't sure if I should post this before or after. I am coming up to my first 6th month MRI after being diagnosed. My MRI is scheduled for September 17, 2009 and then I see the Neurosurgeon for results on September 29/09. I have been doing better since the diagnosis, but now I am starting to feel anxious again. My first MRI was in an open machine, this time, the machine will be closed. I am a little claustrophobic but I keep on telling myself that regardless, I have to go through with the test. I hope I listen to my own advice on that day. Steve sent me the calendar but I wasn't able to update any dates on it. Anyway, I will let you know after it's all done. Thank you all for being so supportive throughout these difficult months.
I certainly could not have done it without you.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Mickey

Re: Upcoming MRI
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 09:21:53 am »
Hi Vivian! It`s very normal to feel anxious on these occasions. I`ve always taken a xanax 2hrs. before going into my MRI machine. I`m happy to hear you are doing better since diognosis and hoping that it continues when you get past this MRI. Wishing you the best, Mickey W+W

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:32:55 am »
Hi Vivian,

I calendared it for you. The important thing is to know what is going on, and that's what the MRI is for. I hope you get a great result.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jackie

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:05:39 pm »
Hi Vivian,

If you are claustrophobic you definitely need to ask for medication prior to the MRI. I cannot do them without, as I am claustrophobic also. Never new I was until having my first MRI. It seems now that I am 60% deaf on the AN side it is worse. Please save yourself any discomfort and get some meds!

Good luck on your outcome, we'll be anxious to find out your results.
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:56:59 pm »
Vivian ~

I hope your MRI is uneventful, that you're able to secure some form of medication to help you through it and that the result shows 'stability', a Watch-and-Wait patient's best friend.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 01:02:03 pm »
Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all your good wishes and comfort. I do have a prescription of Ativan and definitely plan on taking some before I go.

Steve, thanks for updating the calendar.

I will let you all know the outcome.

Vivian l
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 01:07:40 pm »
nothing like the "happy pill" to help the cause, Vivian! :)  Oh, you are going to do fine.. and so many of us have been through so much worse in life, so we're sending the vibes to help make tomorrow easier. You're gonna do great! :) 

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Vivian B.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 05:07:55 pm »
Hi Phyl

Thank you. I need all the vibes I can get! I think between all of us we make one powerful team of prayers.

Vivian

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 05:41:30 pm »
Hi Phyl

Thank you. I need all the vibes I can get! I think between all of us we make one powerful team of prayers.

Vivian

Aye-men! :)

You're gonna do great... you're gonna be fine :)
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mk

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 06:21:28 pm »
Hi Vivian,

best of luck with your upcoming MRI. It is normal to feel anxious. I hope there is no growth.

I wanted to point out one thing: It seems that you are having your MRI on a different machine. This may mean slightly different results - this happened to me on my second MRI, which was done at a different location than the first. The second instrument took significantly more "slices" during imaging, and the result was that the measurements looked quite a bit larger, which made me freak out until I figured out what was going on.

Keep us posted on the results.

Best regards,
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 06:26:10 pm »
Good luck, Vivian.

I'll be thinking of you!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Vivian B.

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 07:09:42 pm »
Hi Marianna and Jan.

Thanks for your support. I was afraid of different results in different machines. It will be interesting to see. I will keep you posted.

Vivian

suboo73

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 07:46:55 pm »
Hi Vivian.

Want to wish you the most peaceful thoughts i can send your way for your upcoming MRI!
My first MRI was local, and second one at Unv. of Virginia - so i anticipated the possibility of slightly different readings between the 2 machines...
Knowing this, i was more calm when the doc finally put the images up on the screen.  So hang in there - and remember knowledge is power!

I am also somewhat claustrophobic - and had never had an MRI before the one of my head  :o     
Mostly, i just kept telling myself that i had to do this, i had to do this, or i would not have the information i needed to move forward.
[And lucky for me, i had my sister to also cheer me on - thanks BigSister!]

You will do great!  We will all cheer you on! Think positive thoughts.
All my best to you - and many thoughts and prayers during this time.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 09:34:23 pm »
Vivian,

Love Ativan  ;D  My best friend when I"m entering the tube of gloom.  I agree with Jim, stability is a watch and wait patients best friend.  Ativan and stability BFF  ::)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Vivian B.

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 06:06:42 pm »
Hi Anne Marie and Sue,

Thanks for alll your warm thoughts and cheerfulness.  I am already practicing on my Ativan. Will let you all know the results.

I hope I didn't miss anybody, thank you everybody for your good wishes.

Vivian