Author Topic: Waiting on Results of MRI  (Read 5175 times)

Bsaenz

Waiting on Results of MRI
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:32:22 am »
I am a 56 year old female in Houston,TX.  I'm anxiously waiting on the results of my MRI which I had last week.  I am scheduled to meet with my doctor on Wed. 9/9/09.  I have had episodic vertigo for the past 5 years, usually 2-3 times a year.  I know that I'm fortunate as a lot of people have it much worse.  I went to my ENT a couple of weeks ago and he performed the hearing test, ENG, and then an MRI with contrast specifically looking at the IAC.   I have mild/moderate hearing loss in my left ear, I had a weakness in my left ear on the caloric portion of the ENG.  I have read many of the post on this board and felt that all of you could understand my anxiety.  Just wanted your thoughts.  You read so much on the internet that it's hard to know what to believe and what not to believe.  Thank you for your advice.  BSAENZ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Waiting on Results of MRI
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 12:22:18 pm »
Hi, Bsaenz - and welcome.  Thanks for registering and posting.  I trust the forums have been useful to you.  

Frankly, until you have your doctor's opinion of the MRI scan's results, you're stuck in an unwanted state of uncertainty. I'm not a doctor but your symptoms would seem to be indicating an acoustic neuroma.  However, I've learned that these kinds of symptoms can be caused by other things.  Unfortunately, pinpointing their cause can sometimes prove to be an elusive goal .  Still, the MRI will definitely rule an acoustic neuroma (or other tumor) in or out as a source for your episodic vertigo and other issues.  If the MRI does indicate an acoustic neuroma, know that these are almost always benign (non-cancerous) and treatable with surgery, radiation or both.  

My advice is to try to avoid dwelling on the 'what-if's' (easier said than done, I know) and just allow the time to pass until your doctor appointment, next week (September 9th).  If an acoustic neuroma is there, you can deal with it, then.  If not, that'll be a relief - and you can look toward finding the actual source of your vertigo and other symptoms.   Should you be diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, know that you can come here for information, advice and support.  Even if the MRI doesn't show an AN, we'll support you.  You have friends here.  :)

Jim  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 11:15:53 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:27:11 pm »
Bsaenz ......

Welcome to this forum of caring, supportive ANers.  We can empathize with your anxiety.  The waiting for an accurate diagnosis and treatment decision is for many of us the worst part.

It sounds like your doctors have covered all of the necessary bases for an accurate diagnosis.  Although we sure hope it is not an AN, if it is, you have come to the right place for lots of care and support.  Be sure to post again and let us know how you are doing ...... and ask any questions (none are insignificant!) you may have as we are happy to share our own experiences.

Clarice
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:11:30 pm by CHD63 »
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Bsaenz

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 12:34:56 pm »
Thank you for your kind words and comments.  I'll make sure and post and let you know of the results.  Take care and God Bless!!!  Bsaenz

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 04:58:23 pm »
Hi and welcome.  From an AN standpoint, you've done it right... MRI with contrast. Here's hoping you are not "officially" becoming a member of this AN Club and sending wellness wishes your way. Pls keep us updated for what the MRI shows.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 04:59:12 pm »
Bsaenz -

hi and welcome.  Many, many of us can relate to your anxiety.

I'm hoping you don't have an AN, but if you do you've come to the right place.

We have several forumites from Texas so if you need recommendations on a good AN doctor or two I'm sure they'll be happy to oblige.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 05:12:23 pm »
Bsaenz,

I'm one of those in Texas that Jan mentioned...as a matter of fact in the Houston area. Here's hoping that you won't need any recommendations on AN doctors, but there are several of us here in the Houston area with experience in various treatments and doctors. I realize that the unknown and waiting is tough, just know that whatever the results, it can be dealt with successfully as others have already told you.

Patrick 
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Vivian B.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 07:41:04 am »
Hi and welcome,

Waiting for tests and results can be a very overwhelming time, however, it is better to know than not to know and if it is an AN, as you can see there are many of us here with the same thing and we are all managing. Don't worry and let us know.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 06:27:44 pm »
Bsaenz -

good luck tomorrow; hope it's nothing by good news!

Please let us know.

Thanks,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 07:12:52 pm »
Hi Bsaenz,

I will add my best wishes for a good doc visit tomorrow, and hope you get some answers.
Many thoughts and prayers to you and your extended family.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Bsaenz

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 06:22:59 am »
Hi,
Thank you everyone for the well wishes.  My appointment is today at 1:30pm. I'll post when I get home and let everyone know.  Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers.  Bsaenz

Bsaenz

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 02:03:21 pm »
Hi everyone,
I just returned from my visit with my ENT, and my MRI results were normal. No AN.  I am very thankful.  However, we still do not know what is causing the episodic vertigo and my doctor has referred me to a Neurologist for more testing.  We do know that the problem is in my left inner ear - but thankfully no tumors. 

Thank all of you for being there and helping me through those anxious days of waiting.  Hopefully, I will find some answers soon, but for now I am very grateful. 

Blessings to all of you!!

Bsaenz

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 02:46:20 pm »
Bsaenz ~

Congratulations on your MRI results!  As much as we welcome and support AN patients here, we're always pleased when an MRI shows no acoustic neuroma.  Here's hoping you (and your ENT) can find the actual cause of your symptoms and they can be alleviated, soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 06:02:25 pm »
Bsaenz -

I'm thrilled to hear that you don't have AN!  ;D

I hope you find relief from your symptoms soon - and the answer to what is causing them.

Best of luck,

Jan