Author Topic: Got my BAHA surgery date  (Read 2640 times)

tenai98

Got my BAHA surgery date
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:16:11 am »
I am booked for BAHA surgery on Sept 28.  My ENT keeps me in overnight...I am so excited that I dont have to wait til after my Mexico vacation...I wanna be able to swim in the ocean and if ENT couldnt get me in by end of Sept, the surgery would of had to wait as he stated I cant get surgery site wet for at least 3 months and he waits 6 months before turning the BAHA on....which works out great as Ill just be returning from my month long Florida holiday end of March..
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Got my BAHA surgery date
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 04:29:33 pm »
JO ~

Congratulations on getting your BAHA surgery date - and at a good time for you, too!  Things are definitely looking up!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 09:40:07 pm »
?? how do we go three months without washing the area??
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 06:05:42 am »
Beats me....i had AN surger on Tues and the orderly washed my hair that Friday....Basically, ENT told me three months for not swimming in the oceaan...Plus I just learned yesterday that one cant leave the country if one has had surgery within 3 months...Surgery Sept 28...flight to Mexico Jan 2
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 06:35:56 am »
Opp -

don't worry.  This is Jo's surgeon's protocol.  It is not the norm.

I was able to wash my hair 24 hours post op - holding a plastic cup over my BAHA site - and I was able to lose the cup within a week to ten days.

It's also the norm to be able to attach the processor to the abutment after 3 months.  The not leaving the country restriction is unique to Jo's doctor, too.

Docs do things differently.

Jo -

congrats on the "date" - and thanks for your address; your Official BAHA Recovery Kit will be in the mail sometime next week.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

opp2

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:59:40 am »
Thanks for that. I haven't even had AN surgery yet and I'm considering my options. We have a swimming pool so I suppose I will have to hope that I can get the surgery in say..January so I can swim in May  ;)
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 09:56:09 am »
Opp2,

Just wanted to reinforce Jan's assurance (not that she really needs any reinforcement!) that BAHA procedures vary greatly from doctor to doctor, so that you and others who are considering getting a BAHA device won't be discouraged by Jo's doctor's requirements.

To give yet another example of different procedures, my BAHA abutment was implanted at the same time as my translab surgery -- seemed like a wonderful idea to me and I jumped at it. Many (maybe most?) other doctors don't combine the surgeries and prefer a "waiting period" of at least several months between the AN surgery and BAHA abutment surgery. There are certainly valid reasons for this wait -- many patients find that SSD isn't that big a deal and discover that they can adapt quite readily to it; others don't know for sure that they'll be SSD as a result of their AN surgery ... so the BAHA implant wouldn't have been an option at the time of AN surgery anyway.

I think the bottom line in all of this is that once you've decided on a "BAHA doctor" you've also agreed to follow their protocols and procedures.

Best wishes as you continue researching your options!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 03:16:49 pm »
Congrads JO  ;) you will love it trust me and you will do fine we are hear for you, put that in there for Jan and Lori with that great chocolate treat baha bag that is the best part  ;)
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09