Author Topic: Incidental medium AN finding 6 months ago...  (Read 9905 times)

rm516

• 'incremental improvements' everyday!
Re: Incidental medium AN finding 6 months ago...
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 12:31:34 pm »
Sheryl,
         Thanks for sharing  'adventures" in your life. Good luck, really !
  Anyway your summary of articles are interesting:
  ,<<< "growth rate is usually slower in older than younger patients">>>
I won't mind at all , if my growth rate is slower or won't grow anymore..
My youngest  daughter (13 years old) thinks I am old (53 years), wife is in agreement....So be it

Regards
Raj

Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 12:43:34 pm »
Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I am older than 53  ::) ..... OK, much older than 53 ...... and I had rapid growth of my AN in 2007-2008.  For newbies ..... that is still very unusual!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 12:55:20 pm »
I am older too - 45 @ the time of my diagnosis - and if my MRI measurements weren't incorrect, then I had rapid growth.  AN doubled in size within 6 weeks.

Sheryl -

I just got off the phone with my best friend who is on Cape Cod - West Chatham to be exact.  Small world  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sheryl

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 07:08:58 pm »
LOL - yeah Jan (Raj and Clarice) you are really old  ;)  I'll be 63 in September (55 when the schwannoma was discovered). 

Anyway, I figure the articles refer to "statistics" and, as we all know, there are variables. 

Gotta go watch the Red Sox beat the Yankees!!!!

Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Keeping Up

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 07:37:16 pm »
I am betting on the reverse - research done by my ENT team suggests age isn't a factor whether a tumor grew over a 10 year period (watch n'wait study).  Thus, I am somewhat young (37) and am waiting.

I am betting on the stat but have a great Plan B available.

However, the likelihood is probably higher that the tumor could cause a 30 something an issue somewhere in the next 45 years versus a 70 year old.  Depends on the context of the stat I guess.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

rm516

• 'incremental improvements' everyday!
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 07:44:10 pm »
Sheryl  you mean..
Gotta go watch the Yankees beat the Red Sox  !!!!
 The team which has won 26 world series..
the team tries to get better every year not "watch & wait""
Ha, Ha...
Just kidding.
Thanks
Raj
Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

foodsmarts

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 03:32:22 pm »
Hi. I was 65 at diagnosis and mine doubled in about 8 months. Still small, mine was causing lots of symptoms which seemed to be getting worse every day. Had CK last week and hope the thing has stopped.

Helen
5.4mm X 3.2mm X 3.88 mm at diagnosis 8/28/08; 1.1 cm X .5 cm 6/16/09; CK Stanford Drs. Chang and Soltys 8/19/09

Desilu

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 04:58:25 pm »
Hi Raj

Everyone has made wonderful points but one thing I would like to add is: although I was on the watch and wait for 5 years, my tumor grew very slowly. But it did grow. I was not having any symptoms except some tinnitus. I realized that every year I was not getting any younger. At 46 (year of surgery) I felt that I was in pretty good health and I could deal with the outcome whatever it might be. I didn't want to wait another 5 more years hoping to be able to be as strong as I was at 46. So what I am trying to get at is: general health and age may play a large part in your decision. I know it did for me. Just something to consider. I know most of us just wish that our AN's would have just disappeared but reality says: that's not going to happen! I wish you the best in your decision. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger