Author Topic: Four Year ANniversary  (Read 3887 times)

Jeanlea

Four Year ANniversary
« on: September 06, 2009, 05:20:31 pm »
Today marks four years since my AN surgery.  I spent some time visiting my parents.  My dad has been recovering from complications from prostate cancer this summer.  He's finally on the final road to recovery.  Since I spent a lot of time taking him to various doctor appointments this summer I had a lot of time to reflect on my own road to recovery.  I'm thankful for the amount of recovery I have.  I still have some lingering facial issues, but each year they get less noticeable.  With the help from my TransEar I've adapted to the SSD.  My balance hardly ever bothers me and I have no headaches, both of which I'm very grateful. 

I didn't really know how to "celebrate" this day.  I did spend part of the day sitting outside in the warm sunshine reading a good book. 

Oh, and I have a new hobbie.  I decided to become a wino  ;) so I bought some good wine that I drink a glass of each day.  Gotta have hobbies.  It goes well with the frozen cookie dough in my freezer.  Anyone want to come and join me?

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Four Year ANniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 05:37:36 pm »
Hi Jean:  Congratulations on your 4 year mark.  Sounds like you celebrated just as it should be.
Do you still get yearly MRIs ?    I'm thinking of skipping this year (I can't getit  with contrast anymore b/c I had 2 hives develop on each thigh 2 years ago).

Wishing you continued healing & happy days !   Okay,  pass the wine !
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 05:37:47 pm »
Happy 4th AN Anniversary JEAN!!!
Oh yes life is to be celebrated. Ok I cannot stand the taste of wine since surgery nevertheless I will bring a bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir since you are committed to be a wino (tease)…

I remember the day I was SOOH depressed with the facial palsy and thought I was alone with no one who knew what I was going through…. Then you posted your photo to prove, years later, recovery still can happen. Thank you.

Well you are 2 years ahead of me.

Congrats to you on this special day. :)

4 Cheers to you.
Hip Hip Hooray... Hip Hip Hooray... Hip Hip Hooray.... Yeah JEAN !

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 07:05:04 pm »
Hi Jean! I will be happy to join you in a toast to your anniversary this evening. I have a glass of dry red maybe 2 or 3 times a week ever since I could drink from a glass again. (I just couldn't handle wine through a straw.)

Cheers!
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 08:47:14 pm »
Good for you, Jeanlea.

On both the 4 year milestone and on becoming a "wino".  Both wonderful things in my opinion  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 05:26:55 am »
Happy ANniversary, Jean!

I think drinking a glass of wine each day is a wonderful hobby....you could also take up making wine!  I used to help my great-great aunt make dandelion wine each summer!  Frozen cookie dough, hmmm, you and my grand daughter!!  I found a wine barrel online called the Redwagon and it keeps wine fresh for up to 40 days!  You might need that if you are only drinking one a day!  I will lift my one a day to you in a toast to celebrate this crazy ride we have had.................Did you hear the "clink"!!
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 07:18:35 am »
Jean.

MAJOR congrats to you! I can't believe its 4 yrs already and what a journey you have ridden.  You KNOW I send the hugglez and major congrats to you!  Cookie dough, sun and yes, the occassional glass of beverage of choice sounds like a terrific way to celebrate. 

Continued wellness wishes to you (and those around you).  Like you, I can't believe its 4 yrs already. Seems like yesterday.

Hugglez!!!!!!!!!!
xox
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 07:51:39 am »
Jean,  Doesn't seem like it has been 4 years already and do wish you a Happy Anniversary.  I am glad to hear you have continued to improve with the face as that helps how we feel so much.                                I was wondering if your kids were still going to MSU when we were there to visit our daughter before the symposium.           Hope you can make the anniversary a week long event!                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

MLB57

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 07:58:34 am »
;D Jean,

How wonderful to be 4 years "clean" of your AN!!  You are fastly approaching the "it's gone forever" mark and I am so happy for you!!!  We ALL are hapy and cheeering and yes, some of us toasting with our glass of wine to your continued good news!!

Best always, ;D

Mary (aka Grammy Mary)
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

moe

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 09:47:44 am »
Congratulations on your 4 year mark, Jean!
I will toast you with a glass of whatever wine I have! And my XOCAI chocolate, which is healthy chocolate, BTW.From Belgium, no additives.
Also glad to see you continue to have improvement after 4 years, since I am 3 years out and there is still hope.

Funny thing, :D my life was so topsy/turvy during the whole ordeal, I don't even like to think about my anniversary!  ???  My surgery was June 13, I think, 2006. Isn't that weird?  :-X (I flew into WA from TX to have the surgery, then back to TX- military geographic separation-  long story, but not for this thread. I need to check my record next time I have an appt! My husband and I still argue about whether the surgery was a Monday or Tuesday, and I swear it was  Monday, he says Tuesday........ weird.)

Anyway KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK JEAN!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jeanlea

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 12:54:14 pm »
Thanks to everyone for all the good wishes.

Nancy Ann, I'm on a two year schedule for MRIs.  Next spring sometime.

DHM, I'm glad I could do a small part to help cheer you up.  I wish we could meet someday.  You seem like an amazing person to me.  Everyone here is awesome.

Cheryl, I have two children still at MSU.  My daughter is doing her student teaching this year and my son is a sophomore in mechanical engineering. 

Maureen, healthy chocolate you say??  Now I like that.

I'm going back to soak up this wonderful September sun and warm days before they disappear.  We are so far north, parts of Canada are south of us!

Jean

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD