Author Topic: BAHA Sinking?  (Read 1877 times)

kma

BAHA Sinking?
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:20:55 am »
Did anyone feel like their BAHA post was sinking after their surgery?  I'm about 2 weeks post-op and it seems like my post is
down in a little crater (ha~sorry) and I'm worried that I won't be able to clip on the dohicky.  

p.s.  STILL ITCHY and it's driving me crazy.  I scratched a hole in my head yesterday and now I have a lovely scab that I'm dying to pick.   :-\
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:01:46 pm by kma »
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA Sinking?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 06:46:40 pm »
Kathy -

this is very normal and is what some of us BAHA users on the Forum have referred to as a "divot".  You want the abutment to kind of sink down so that the processor doesn't sit too close to your skull.  If it does, it won't work properly.

So don't worry - you are right on track as far as I can tell.  Remember though, that I'm not a doctor - so if you have concerns you might want to call yours.

I found the itching while my site was healing to be insane.  I felt like I wanted to claw my head off at times  ::)  :P  Someone told me to try an antibiotic ointment (along the lines of bacitracin and/or neosporin) that contains zinc.  Supposedly the zinc helps.  I eventually stopped itching, but honestly I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the zinc or not.

Good luck - and wear mittens if you have to so you don't scratch.  Maybe Lori and I should start including a pair in our BAHA Recovery Kit  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways