Author Topic: Facial Twitching  (Read 12258 times)

LADavid

Re: Facial Twitching
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 11:32:13 pm »
Thank you so much for that post, Jean and the picture.  I can really see the difference.  Lately, I've been really depressed because I wasn't believing there was any hope for recovery and that doctors and PTs were just blowing hot air.  Thank you!  David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

moe

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 10:41:29 am »
I did it-finally made a consult appt with acupuncturist here in Poulsbo, WA.

Traditional chinese medicine- name is Robert Doane. He tooted his horn for a good 5 minutes. Apparently one of the largest clinics in the country (?), his clinic sees over 100 clients/day.
Has had success with bells palsy (acupuncture apparently is THE only treatment for bells palsy). Came highly recommended by 2 people I know.
His web site/ stats are impressive.
The proof is in the pudding, right? Will let you know how it goes! I'm going to move this over to the acupuncture post, also.

So if one can afford it-keep open as an option to get movement back. I'm feeling optimistic about this :) Since my face is becoming more tingly by the day, I'm hoping and praying this helps things along.

For anyone with Bells Palsy, he has seen results with clients who have dealt with the facial paralysis for years.
Maureen :-\
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ToddH

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 05:04:47 pm »
Sorry I am so long in replying, I missed this reply and haven't time to log on very often. By now you've probably tried acupuncture. How did it help? I am neutral in it's regard. Some say it helped them, others not. Not sure why or why not. Am pretty sure it does nothing to help synkinesis problems though (based on a lot of my patients who tried it, and zero were helped). It may help with soreness & pain, and perhaps tension. The real question is whether it helps in nerve recovery process. I don't know the answer to that. Lastly, I do not think it causes any harm.
Best wishes,
Todd

moe

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 09:42:34 am »
Todd,
I've been in acupuncture for 2 months now, down to 2 times/wk.

I've noticed increased muscle tone to parts of the cheek and can now see a "crease" along the side of the nose and more movement around the mouth. (left side). Also when I scrunch my nose, I see muscle along the side of the nose lift, very small amount but enough to know this is impressive. I also take herbs and the  face feels tingly most of the time.

The left upper lip still won't budge. I'm also doing acupuncture for my general well being, which is helping tremendously, so I'm glad I pursued it. Hopefully I won't require drastic surgery, just something to help lift the left lip/cheek area.
We'll see.

So the question as to whether it helps in nerve recovery?....Probably  because I'm getting the improved muscle tone.
It's just a long process. (3.5 years post op, with the 7/12 transposition 2 years ago)
 I'll probably give it a couple of more months and that's it. I AM feeling better in general.
Thanks for asking!
Maureen

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 03:02:23 pm »
Wonderful news for you too Maureen.   I had gone the acupuncture route when I was 4 months post op, for approx. 9 months.  I did mentally feel so relaxed after it was done,  but it didn't help movement with me - probably because I never had the 7/12 jump.   
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

moe

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 12:04:15 pm »
Nancy,
Wow, 9 months is a long time! We'll see how long my treatment goes for......I also take herbs which is supposed to help. My face definitely is starting to "feel" different. Not AS flat. Tingly.
I plan on continuing it once a month for life, I think, kind of like a tune up for the body. :)
Maureen