Author Topic: Symposium 2009 Pictures  (Read 80555 times)

lori67

Re: Symposium 2009 Pictures
« Reply #255 on: September 07, 2009, 08:08:26 am »
DHM -

Great pictures - especially the chocolate....mmmmmm......chocolate..... ;D

Thanks for the pictures of Michael also, I was sorry I didn't get to see him - I was really looking forward to that, but maybe he will be at the next syposium and I can meet him then.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #256 on: September 07, 2009, 10:05:55 am »
cool pics DHM. THanks!!
Moe
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #257 on: September 07, 2009, 11:10:33 am »
People, people, people.  He's just a man - nothing more.  He's made mistakes - like all of us.

Lacking another "famous" person with an AN, who else was the ANA going to get to be their keynote speaker?? 

The only thing I regret about their choice of Mr. Gill is that his acoustic neuroma played a very tiny role in his book.  I liked the book; well-written with a lot of life lessons.  But was it focused on acoustic neuromas and how his life was affected by one?   Definitely NOT.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #258 on: September 07, 2009, 12:19:58 pm »
Humor can be healing if used appropriately

My intent here is just to make you giggle- at least a little

Comic strip
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UD1TRPOssR0/RswK910GEUI/AAAAAAAAAIU/4CSLjP61NsE/s400/3+monkeys.jpg
 ;)  :D

Nope Mike did NOT go into politics but served others coffee and wrote about his reflections (when back home to his sparse apartment)… on how the humbling experiences were good for him.

It was my understanding that the guest presenters came to the symposium at their own expense (I know the support group leaders did)… at least that is what I thought I heard (Disclaimer- I am hearing impaired  :-\ ;) ).
Please know that some people who contribute financially to the ANA do not want their names published… and donate anonymously.

I do not pry into people’s finances or expense accounts but do know that for some to just get to the symposium was a financial sacrifice that they still thought well was worth making … be it patients or people who have a profession of trying to help AN patients.

I know one person who no longer has their employee health benefit package and chose not to go to the symposium as they needed to put funds aside for hearing restoration medical treatment and facial synkenisis help.

Some are more financially secure and the symposium was a nice vacation… for other it was a necessity of information gathering and networking. We come from all walks of life… Life styles, life experiences, life mistakes etc. Know that one who drives a BMW and wears an Armani suit could actually be terribly in debt… they just look wealthy and affluent… but may not know how they are going to get the grocery bill paid for…

(I am thinking of many people here in Oregon who have Hummers, sitting dormant in their garage, that they are still making payments on… they cannot afford the gas… nor even sell the thing if they tried (I think of the old Hummer dealership lot, on my commute, that is now a Prius lot...)

We cannot make any assumptions here about book proceeds etc…

I am so thankful to all the people that attended the symposium and gave of themselves- whether it was a presenter …or fellow ANA patients who let me try out their baha (one wonderful person even shared the I-pod connection to it  :-* )

All had a story of healing and success they wanted to share. What a great symposium it was – for me! :)

No evil intentions… only good. Support not judgment, is here for ALL acoustic neuroma patients that need it.

HUGS

DHM

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:21:36 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #259 on: September 10, 2009, 08:48:51 pm »
OK, I just finished "How Starbucks Changed My Life" and I will take back most of my previous unkind words about Mr. Gates.  He does acknowledge the pain he caused his children and does not gloss over this.  But I'm only taking back "most" because he never says two words about his wife, only that she maybe could have lived with an affair but not with one that produced a child.  After that she disappears from the book.  He implies that for her it was no big deal since she has family money anyway and besides they rarely had sex.  He says that the mistress, who is a strong and well-educated woman, dumped him.

Also, he does refer to his tumor several times--he doesn't dwell on it, because this wasn't a book about his tumor--but does mention going through many of the emotions that those of us fellow sufferers share as well as the inconvenience of diminished hearing.  I don't object to his calling it a brain tumor after the first mention of acoustic neuroma, because nobody knows what an AN is and it IS technically a brain tumor.  So I take back anything I said about his glossing over the tumor and making it sound more dramatic than it is.

If anything, the hero in the book is Starbucks!  Wow, this is product placement to the thousanth power!  Wonder if they're paying him anything.  They come out as the most wonderful place in the world.  If I liked their coffee I'd go out and buy a cup right now (I prefer Dunkin Donuts.  No class here.)
Sharonov

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #260 on: September 10, 2009, 10:30:32 pm »
OK, I just finished "How Starbucks Changed My Life" and I will take back most of my previous unkind words about Mr. Gates. 

WAY to go!

BIG hugs.

Starbucks is also showing other areas of social responsibility – even environmental

Here is an article about coffee grounds for compost
http://freebies.about.com/cs/free/l/blstarbucks.htm

Here is Starbucks official website on compost and other issues
http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/compost.asp

I first heard about this through word-of-mouth from participants in this community garden program who presented at a community improvement public forum- I attended (done by the city council)
http://www.jcornett.com/fggardens/index.htm

The community garden has a partnership with this non-profit society that helps socio economically disadvantaged women
http://www.adelantemujeres.org/about.html

(Apparently one volunteer goes  to various Starbucks to collect old grinds regularly- for the compost)

I think it is great that Starbuck’s part time employees receive benefits- and that many, as Michael described, are going back to school and furthering their education and prospects.

No Michael did not dwell too much on his failed relationships with the women he has been with -but more focused on his kids and their future outlook.

I like the emphasis that was placed on employers who create an atmosphere of respect, responsibility and yes even egalitarianism. Know that when Michael speaks, as he indicated in the Google You-tube video, that he does NOT represent Starbucks ...he just writes about his experiences with it.

There is an amazing “Keep moving forward” spirit in his book- that us AN tuma journeyers can ALL benefit from.

There are some other corporate executives who I would SOOH like to have experience with his book… I would like to bring him back west to the Silicon Forest to speak- but will be careful to allow him the time he needs to go more into depth.

Personally I would love to have sat down and had a latte with Mike and talked more about his book with him… “But there were planes to catch …and bills to pay” (hotel check out  ;) )

I am glad you took the time and effort to read it.

I had a pumpkin spice latte today. I see the people on the other side of the barista bar so differently now. I notice that the donations basket of “back to school supplies for needy kids” was chocker blocked full of NEW markers, pencils, dividers etc. The spirit in the one Starbucks I went into today was such a cheerful one. ½ of the employees there have now read the book- since I brought it to their attention just last fall.

The facial palsy/synkenisis and the new Singled sides deafness I acquired, 2 years ago, has forced me to look at a “vocational change” in my mid-life… on that regard I found his book very inspiring. Mike can work around an espresso machine and can hear the orders- I have hyperacusis and have to wear an earplug at Starbucks. Fortunately the baristas are getting to know my routine order.  Today the barista said “short caramel latte again for you today or would you like the seasonal pumpkin spice that is back?

No this is about much more than failed relationships and an acoustic neuroma tumor… it is about respecting life (yours and others), new beginnings and moving forward.

I hope others will read the book too.

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #261 on: September 11, 2009, 12:01:01 am »
I don't object to his calling it a brain tumor after the first mention of acoustic neuroma, because nobody knows what an AN is and it IS technically a brain tumor.  So I take back anything I said about his glossing over the tumor and making it sound more dramatic than it is.

You know up until I read this I reply-I thought he never mentioned the words  "Acoustic Neuroma", just "brain tumor", in the book... and you are right he does mention it in his dialogue with Dr. Lalwani...  :-[ :-\  I am embarassed as I asked Mike to see if the AN tuma could get more mention in the film- since it was not mentioned in the book ... as to bring more awareness to it. There IS mention in the book- after all.  :) Gee big slip up in my reading comprehension on that chapter - the 1st time. Should I just blame my oversight on Post Treatment "WONKY Head" and I that  intially read it within the 1st year of my recovery?  ;)

Ok I am reading it again ... since I just sent a handful of signed copies off to friends and family... with hopes to have a book discussion. I wonder what else I missed the 1st read? :-\

DHM :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:14:12 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #262 on: September 11, 2009, 06:15:30 am »
DMH, I might also have missed some items as I did alot of speed reading, but I focused in whenever he talked about his "tuma"!

I, too, have always respected Starbucks for the way they treat their employees with regard to health insurance, but I had no idea that they also paid for education and were as community conscious as you and this book say.  It's nice to know that all the profits for those high priced drinks aren't just going into the pockets of CEO's & their ilk.  Someday I may even try that super chocolatey drink they have (I forget the name), but first I have to lose 10 pounds!  :o

And I'll probably see the movie when it comes out and add to his return to wealth.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #263 on: September 11, 2009, 01:24:44 pm »
If anything, the hero in the book is Starbucks!  Wow, this is product placement to the thousandth power!  Wonder if they're paying him anything.  They come out as the most wonderful place in the world.  If I liked their coffee I'd go out and buy a cup right now (I prefer Dunkin Donuts.  No class here.)

This post has absolutely no bearing on Michael Gill Gates or his book (or the ANA symposium, for that matter) and I've no opinion on the generosity of the Starbucks chain toward their employees, although I recall reading that they've recently had to close a lot of their stores (no surprise in this economy) and have experienced ongoing labor disputes.  It seems as if those on both the political left and right have grievances with Starbucks on some issue or other, which basically neutralizes most of the criticisms.  However, I'm with you, Sharon: I much prefer Dunkin' Donuts coffee to that of the overpriced Starbucks brand.  Dunkin' Donuts shops may not have the cachet Starbucks has developed but then, I've always felt more comfortable in an old-fashioned diner than some overpriced, pretentious restaurant.  I enjoy my simple pleasures. and especially, a good cup of coffee, no matter the surroundings.  Dunkin' Donuts does it for me.  Starbucks may have it's charms and be good to it's employees but I'll pass, thanks.  Dunkin' Donut's income and profits are far above the Starbucks chain, for what that may be worth.  Frankly, I don't consider choosing the more utilitarian Dunkin' Donuts for my coffee over the chic Starbucks as having no class - just different tastes than some other folks.  That's one thing I love about the free market - we have choices.  May it always be that way. 

Now, lets all have a cup of coffee and sing 'The Java Jive'   (younger folks can look it up).

Jim        
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #264 on: September 11, 2009, 01:39:26 pm »
Here is a Manhattan transfer rendition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pULXnVTRynY

Wait!!! Is that JIM SCOTT in the yellow blazer??!

The King sisters 1941
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE69jBxZuXg

BeaN me up Scotty! :-* ;) :D ;D

Cheers to you with my butterscotch caramel latte (today made at home)

DHM

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #265 on: September 21, 2009, 10:37:58 am »
ANA discussion forum world records
•   I know this is a popular posted thread being that it has now had, to date, 3079 “reads”.
•   Ok it is NOT way up there with the “good morning” posted thread (106540 reads to date- those crazy pirates!!) … nevertheless it is up there in posted thread about Dr. B (3094 reads to date) – in readership

The symposium is still staying with me and was definitely a highlight of the 2009 year- for me  :). I met so many amazing and inspiring people. I am still looking at all the photos and now placing faces to names.

Thanks Steve for creating this post.   :) I am looking forward to you also attending the support group leaders meeting in Cincinnati in 2011- now that you are one of the many cherished volunteers, that are SOOOH needed, who have stepped-up-to-the plate in support group leadership.

We even got a little side tracked on this thread.... talking about Michael Gate Gill and his book contents- nevertheless it was all relevant to what we experienced at the symposium… alongside the photos that others have shared. We all came away with such different perspectives... worth sharing with each other.

I talked a little (ok a lot) about the many people in Oregon who are being so affected by the economy with job loss… to which they also loose their medical insurance. There were some who wanted to come to the symposium but did not have the resources to do so. Here is a post that I made this morning that ties in with that… if anyone cares to read it.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10526.15

….Speaking of ANA discussion forum world records
Leaprytwins (aka “Jan”) who many of you met at the symposium, and is in the above photos, to date has 6126 posts. Yup I do believe she holds THE world record for 2009- to date!!!

This Friday is Jan’s birthday and I wanted to announce that to the entire ANA discussion forum world!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
I wonder what sort of world record she will hold for the most PM's in her inbox that day?  ;) :D

DHM
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 02:04:36 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #266 on: September 23, 2009, 03:59:49 pm »
Hey DHM - thanks for the alert about Jan's BD - that is truly a momentous occasion and I plan to celebrate accordingly!  I am headed to Seattle that day, so plan to eat some seafood that night and raise a glass to Jan.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com