Author Topic: Symposium 2009 Pictures  (Read 80806 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Symposium 2009 Pictures
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2009, 08:42:14 pm »
I used to be called "Sara Lee" in high school, as in nobody doesn't like . . . yeah.

So I had the advantage of a mnemonic.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2009, 08:43:15 pm »
You know, I never thought that I had a big nose but i think MINE looks MUCH bigger than anyone else's in that picture!!  LOL!!  Must just be the angle...even if it is hideous, I have enough stuff going on with my face to worry about that!!  ;D  AND I am not ready for any more elective surgery on my face anytime soon, thank you very much!!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2009, 08:50:23 pm »
You know, I never thought that I had a big nose but i think MINE looks MUCH bigger than anyone else's in that picture!!  LOL!!  Must just be the angle...even if it is hideous, I have enough stuff going on with my face to worry about that!!  ;D  AND I am not ready for any more elective surgery on my face anytime soon, thank you very much!!

K ;D

Good grief people! You look gorgeous already. Get with the program. Say it with me: "I. look. great."

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2009, 09:00:25 pm »
Wonderful pics everyone! Looks like a great time!   ;D

Kaybo

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2009, 09:22:41 pm »
I am finally home & going to bed!  Hopefully I can do or get my pictures to someone who can put them up tomorrow!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2009, 09:32:41 pm »
I am finally home & going to bed!  Hopefully I can do or get my pictures to someone who can put them up tomorrow!

K

Wow that was a long journey home. Glad you made it home safely.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2009, 10:28:27 pm »
Kaybo -

glad you finally made it home.

Don't forget to post the picture of Saralynn in her lovely pink hat  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2009, 10:36:04 pm »
You know Jan I did not connect that was YOU until just now ... If I had known that was you I would have given you a big hug while there in Chicago. I had no problem focusing on speakers with my SSD and lip reading- but when we were in the ballroom or  at round tables I was missing so much of the conversation. After this symposium I am thinking I really need to get the baha.

DHM

DHM -

I'm not sure we were ever introduced - I arrived late and with all the different sessions, etc., we just never really connected.

Did you get a chance to try the BP100 demo?  We realized late Saturday evening that Steve (you know, BAHA envy Steve) never got a chance to try it  :(  I made a point to drag Lori into the exhibitor room, but totally forgot to drag Steve there.  It's a shame the exhibitors weren't there on Sunday - the BP100 is even better than the Divino.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2009, 10:56:40 pm »
Great pictures everyone!  It looks like you all have a great time -- sorry I couldn't be there too. 

Jan - I was wondering if Lori made it to the symposium since I didn't see any pictures of her.  I'm glad you two finally got to meet in person.  It sounds like the BP100 was a hit with you.  Do you think it's worth upgrading to it and if so, do you have any idea of the cost?

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2009, 11:12:38 pm »
Hi, Wendy, we missed you!

Lori's son was graduating from the Great Lakes Naval Academy this weekend, so she wasn't able to officially attend the symposium.  But, she did make a special trip to The Drake to see all of us - along with her son and his girlfriend, her two younger daughters, and her husband.  So yes, Kaybo and I (and lots of others) finally got to meet her  ;D

Steve looked a little worried that the three "troublemakers" were together, but none of our halos slipped  ;)

I'm not sure if it was illegal or not, because she wasn't "officially" there, but Lori did try the BP100 demo with me and we both were seriously impressed.  From the information I got from the Cochlear reps and from the speech Dr. Battista gave it sounds like the new technology will prove to be quite incredible.  I've posted more info. on the BP100 on one of Mike's posts (search on BP100 to find it). 

Anyway, the Cochlear reps said that there is no "trade-in" when upgrading because my Divino is used.  This really puzzled me because as I told others at the symposium, it's not like it was up my nose or anything  ::)  It's simply sat on my head for the past 14 months.

When I asked what the BP100 will cost, I was told that I (like everyone else apparently) needed to talk to the doc who gave me my Divino.  From what I understand, it's up to the docs to decide what they'll  "let it go" for.  Needless to say, about five minutes after Dr. Battista's speech I was asking him what kind of deal he can give me  ;D

He suggested that I wait until October when he'll have the Ponto demo (as well as the BP100 demo) and we'll go from there.  I definitely want to upgrade, it's just a matter of when and how much.  And the how much will probably determine the when.

Dr. Battista did say that Cochlear will continue to "support" and "maintain" the Divino for the next five years, so we're not obsolete yet!

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2009, 11:44:59 pm »
HI Jan,

Thanks for the info on the BP100.  I'm seeing Dr. Choe sometime in September so I'll See what he says.  Hopefully, either he'll give me a break if I really like it.  Otherwise, I'll have to wait.  Not the end of the world, I really do love my Devino. I'd just be happier with the the  upgrades the BP100 seems to have to offer.  If worse comes to worse, my insurance company will allow me to upgrade my processor in 5 years at their expense.

I'm sorry I couldn't make the symposium this year but plan to make the next one.  I really wish I could have been there to meet everyone -- it looks like a good time was had by all!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2009, 05:02:03 am »
Looks like a good time was had by all !
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2009, 06:28:37 am »
p.s.  Kay, so glad you're home and hope your baby girl is feeling better by now.  Has Capt. Deb made it home yet?

Captn Deb is home... she made it home late yesterday afternoon! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2009, 07:53:29 am »
Most excellent pictures...of course since they are a record of a most excellent time, it would be difficult for them to be otherwise.

Yes, my wife's name is Cyrilee. It is difficult to remember and when only heard is often difficult to get correct. The most usual comment after a person hears her name for the first time is connected to the cheesecake lady..but as you can see, there really is no connection.

In some of the pictures I am labeled as Tim M. Not really a big deal unless there happens to actually be a Tim M somewhere associated with ANA and he ends up getting blamed for the stuff that happens around me. A goodly part of the time I'm more than happy for folks to have some confusion about my name because often they are attempting to put me on some type of 'list'. While I believe that my actions are always honorable and completely justified, various authority figures seem to think it prudent to keep track of me. I'm thinking the confusion probably arose because my screen name here (and in most other online situations) is Migoi. Migoi is my cryptozoological classification...not my last name.

As I understand it, there were some that were slightly disappointed that in person I actually appear to be more civilized than pictures of me (and I suppose my postings here) would suggest. If it had been a bit cooler I could have worn a suit and really created a discrepancy between expectation and reality.

Cyrilee and I had a great time this weekend. I was good to meet those that came. It was good to be able to access the incredible amount of resources available there.

..take care.. tim b aka tim m aka migoi aka the bearded guy sitting in the corner with a mildly confused look on his face.
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2009, 08:20:42 am »
tim,

I have a VERY dear cousin named Cyrille..... so, Cyrilee it is! Please extend apologies as I did not hear her name clearly!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"