Author Topic: Balancing the Balance Issue  (Read 2991 times)

FrankinCA

Balancing the Balance Issue
« on: August 16, 2009, 12:09:37 am »
I have a 2.3 treated with Kama Knife about 9 months ago.  I have never fallen or anything like that and have never had wonky head but I am constantly dizzy feeling especially when I am tired hungry or any of that.  My wife had me on Meclizine but I finally figured out that was what was causing a rash and some other side effects.  It actually made me feel better though.  I am going to start walking again as I hear that helps.  Any body else on Meclizine or other stuff and what else are you all out there doing to deal with this issue?  Also why is the other side taking its time in compensating?

MissMolly

Re: Balancing the Balance Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 07:58:35 am »
Hi there,
I had surgery June 22 and continue to have some balance issues as a result of the surgery.  They are slowly improving with specialized physical therapy - call Vestibular RehabilitationTraining.  You may want to ask your physician about referring you to this.  You do have to find a PT who is trained in this as not everyone is.  You can look on vestibular.org for more information on VRT.  Good luck!!

Miss Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Balancing the Balance Issue
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 04:48:07 pm »
I had serious balance issues for years following proton beam treatment. it wasn't until I started really working hard at it by taking up standup paddleboarding that I saw real improvement. Everyone is different but from what I've read of others situations frequent hard exercise that challenges your balance works. Best bet...find something you can enjoy doing and do it often. Here is the thread on standup.
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8379.0
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 04:49:44 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org