Author Topic: BP100 Baha fitting WOW !  (Read 6054 times)

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
BP100 Baha fitting WOW !
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:20:32 pm »
Thursday August 13, 2009 is my BP100 BAHA fitting  The Cochlear District Rep.  she was great so was my Audiologist WOW what I missed all these years the BP100 is great love its style Thank you Cochlear for this great product I could tell it is on when we were in the Dr's office we were talking a I heard a pencil drop on the Audiologist desk lol on my deaf side I love it.I will keep you informed as time goes by it is going to take alittle time to see how good it is in the real world.

Mike Corso
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

tenai98

Re: BP100 Baha fitting WOW !
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 05:37:12 am »
that is great...i have my  ENT appt in two weeks to discuss my BAHA surgery
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Sefra22

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:14:51 am »
I am sooo happy for you Mike! You officially won the race ;D
I'm still waiting......I'll call next week if I don't "hear" by then.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

grega

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 08:16:10 am »
Great .... Mike!  Glad you were able to switch to BP100.

I'll be starting my baha journey in next few months .... anything more on the Ponto?

Thanks ........ Greg :D

(Say, did anyone notice that post times are now west coast times?  ???  Either that, or I'm up way too early  ::) )
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 08:20:02 am by grega »
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:53:14 am »
Greg I have not heard anything else on the Phonto yet sorry probably in fall.

grega

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 05:31:13 am »
Thanks Mike!

I'll keep my ear open for further Ponto availability ..... while considering the BP100.

Greg
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

raj_06

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 10:55:50 pm »
Wow Mike..It's great to know that this new device is working for you..and that you are enjoying every bit of the new hearing..Keep posting..

-Raj
"After all these ordeals, I still say all is well":)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 10:36:45 pm »
Many, many, many congratulations Mike  ;D  I know how long you've waited for this.  I'm SO glad the BP100 is everything you anticipated.

Note to Grega -

got a little background info. on the Ponto from my neurotologist, Dr. Battista, after his speech @ the symposium on Saturday.  Seems that Oticon was developing the Ponto when Cochlear got wind of it and decided that they should upgrade their Divino accordingly.  Thus, the BP100 was born.  It made it's debut just recently, beating the Ponto which will be available to consumers in October.  Pretty clever of Cochlear I'd say  ;)  The BP100 will be available in six colors - including Piano Black Gloss. 

I also learned in a session with Dr. Penzak today that next year Cochlear will be marketing BAHA devices in bold and/or neon colors - like bright blue, shocking pink, fluorescent orange, etc. - because apparently this is what "young" SSD patients want.  Go figure!

I asked Dr. Battista if he felt it would be wise to purchase a Ponto since it's Oticon's first venture in the BAHA arena (they already manufacture conventional hearing aids).  He told me that the BP100 and the Ponto have basically the same advanced technology, however, he did mention the theory of not purchasing a new car the first year it comes out and said there might be something to that.  He recommended I wait until October when the Ponto comes out and demo both devices at that time to see which one I like better; his office will have them both.  The placement of the "buttons" (things like volume controls) is different on each device and he said that might make a difference to me.  Time will tell.

Lori and I both did the BP100 demo @ the symposium and we were both highly impressed with it.  Cochlear has addressed the issues of directionality with a microphone that automatically adjusts itself and they have also addressed the "large and/or noisy room" dilemma.  They way the reps explained it, the Divino only has one channel which basically shuts down in a noisy environment; the BP100 has 12 channels and they shut down accordingly but they don't all shut down at once.  The BP100 also has a universal port that allows you to hook it up to your iPod without a special adaptor - the Ponto has the same.

All in all, it was VERY cool.

Jan 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 07:44:22 pm »
Thanks Jan for the BAHA info from the symposium.  I see your point bout the Ponto .... perhaps trying that along with the BP100 will help .... if my audiologist has those testers.  And I promise not to let it get near any tall glasses of cold, refreshing beer!

Just got back from Hershey Park in PA ... was there last night and today .... rode a bunch of cool coasters .... so there's hope for me yet   ;D  ;D

Greg

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:57:47 pm »
Damn, Greg!  Hershey, PA ???  Sadly, I've never been; it's one of the places I've just got to visit before I die.  I've been to the Hershey's store in downtown Chicago - but somehow I don't think it compares  :D

My doc said that by October he'd have both a BP100 and a Ponto demo, so I'd imagine most other docs who do BAHAs will have them also.  He also mentioned that the Ponto is waterproof - but he didn't elaborate and I forgot to ask him about that.  Perhaps it was designed with you in mind  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jeepers

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 06:05:22 am »
Thanks for your report, Jan ... I was waiting for it!

Unfortunately, my wonderful insurance (it really is wonderful) has denied the first request for the BAHA, so hopefully Dr. B's office is skilled at getting this overturned.

As soon as it's approved, I was planning to schedule the installation, however Dr. Battista said I would also have to make the choice of processors - BP100 or Ponto - at that time.

Hmm ... as a new patient (without the post installed), how effecitvely do you think I will be able to differentiate from the two, soundwise? When I tried the test headband last week, Dr. B told me it was a sample, but certainly not as good as the most current processor. Will it simply come down to the bells and whistles? Since it takes 3 mos or so to add the processor, I'd be anxous to move ahead as soon as insurance oks it. I'm favoring the BP100 because of its history ... but ...
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 02:18:42 pm »
OK I was driving today and hear 2 beeps and I told my buddy did you hear that not knowing it was the BP100 telling me the batteries are going dead so I looked it up when it does beep  that you have 1 hr. of battery life left but that was weird all of a sudden I heard beeps lol. Sure enough 1 hr. later it died it has been 1 week now so I guess mine will last 1 week.   ;D

Mike Corso
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 02:32:13 pm by mikjul1 »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 06:40:54 pm »
Mike -

the battery warning is one of the nice new features of the BP100 - I had forgotten about that until I read your post.

Jeepers -

Dr. B's office will help you get your insurance company's decision overturned - I just talked to him Saturday about an issue that another one of his patients brought to my attention @ the symposium.  Her insurance has agreed to pay for the surgery, but not the processor.  Kind of pointless.  What's an implant without a processor???  Anyway, he said his office would help her out, so I'm sure they'll help you also. 

In addition, I talked to one of the Cochlear reps about insurance denials @ the symposium and she said to direct patients to her and she'll help them "fight".  I have her contact information; I'll email it to you when I have time.

From what Dr. B told me the two processors are extremely similar (the same bells and whistles) - the main difference in his opinion was the placement of some of the "buttons"; for volume control, etc.  The Ponto is also shaped differently than the BP100, which is similar to the Divino only slightly thinner.  The Ponto is actually shaped like a comet - round "head" followed by a semi-circular "tail". 

Truth be told, I'm leaning towards the BP100 since I've had absolutely no problems with my Divino.  However, I do want to try both processors before purchasing one.  I'm planning on waiting until the new year tio make my purchase since I'm certain my insurance company won't pay for a new processor when my Divino is only 14 months old.  We have a flexible spending plan @ work and I've already asked the administrator if I can use it for a new processor; thankfully she said yes  ;D

Jan

grega

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 06:31:27 am »
Good morning Jan et al,

Thanks for the tidbits of info re working to make sure the post and processor are both covered.  I'll approach my audiologist soon re getting everything in order before setting a date.

Also, looked as if a big crowd at the symposium.  Hope all had fun.  Where's next one?

Thanks, Greg

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 07:16:13 am »
Next one is in Cincinnati in 2011.  Hope to see you - and your BAHA - there  ;D