Author Topic: this week (8/9) in the Chi-town bound, congregating world of AN  (Read 3617 times)

Keri

... in honor of the 19th (19th, really???) ANA Symposium (wish I were going!)

Thanks, Rich and Scarlett, for filling in last week when I procrastinated!

Here's what's up this week:

Monday - Lois will have her follow up after last week's MRI (Dr. Bartels). I hope all is clean, Lois.

Tuesday - Happy Anniversary to Patrick (texsooner) for his 1 year retrosig surgery. We're glad you have recovered so nicely. Are you going to celebrate by biking, say 50 miles?!

Wednesday - the symposium people should think about packing

Thursday - BAHA day. Brenda (teff) will have BAHA surgery. Best to you, Brenda. I hope it is a relatively pain free procedure and you have a quick recovery.
Also, Mike (mikjul1) has his 'BAHA gotcha day'. He will get his BP100 turned on, hooked up or whatever happens. Mike, I think I read somewhere you're SSD for 35 years? Is that right? Wow! I hope the BAHA is great for you and exceeds your expectations. Did you both get the chocolate care package from the BAHA dynamic duo?

Friday - Sunday - The ANA Symposium in Chicago!! Please keep us posted with details, live reports, pictures, who's there, etc etc. Have a great time everyone who is going. Where will it be next year?

Also - Friday - Lori's son, RJ graduates from the Navy boot camp, basic military training (not sure what it's called in the Navy). And he's graduating in Chicago, where the symposium is. How convenient is that!? Lori, I know you and your husband and family must be really proud!! Congratulations, RJ! 

Saturday - Although Bob (stoneax) will not be paddling in the Cape Cod challenge, he will still be participating / involved in helping out. It's a worthy fund raiser, and I hope it goes very well for everyone and is able to bring in a lot of funds to help out those kids. Bob, you're an inspiration to many people, and I know when you participate next year it will really be special as you've overcome so much. I hope your healing is still coming along well and that you can paddle again soon.

From last week:
I don't know about Ken's surgery. Anyone heard from Mandy? I hope all is well.
Lauralynn had an eye weight implant and that's helped, but she's still recovering.
JB has made it backto the UK!

Have a great week! Now I get to go back to bed!

Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
Re: this week (8/9) in the Chi-town bound, congregating world of AN
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 11:02:42 pm »
Hi Keri, thoughts and prayers for your Aunt as she battles Alzheimer’s.  Thank God she has you.

Brenda (Teff), and Mike (‘mikjul1’) hope your BAHA Surgery/Gotcha’Day on Thursday are successful.

Lois, we’ll be waiting to hear what Dr. Bartels has to say about your MRI results on Monday, our prayers are with you that it is clear and unremarkable.

Stoneaxe, we are sorry that you will not be able to participate in this year’s Cape Cod Bay Challenge event on Saturday.  You will be ready next year!

Happy Anniversary Patrick as you celebrate 1 yr. on Tuesday since your successful surgery.

Congratulations to RJ as he graduates from Navy Boot Camp.

And to all that will be attending the ANA 19 th National Symposium Friday and Saturday at the Drake Hotel in Chicago, ILL.  We hope that you have a safe and fun filled time.  Can’t wait to read your post Symposium posts.

We haven’t heard from Mandy, they are still in our thoughts and prayers that Ken’s surgery was a success.

Hope Lauralynn is doing well, and that JB had a good week as she returned to work.

And of course, HELLO to EJTampa.  Welcome back Ernie ;D ;D

Have a nice week everyone,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 05:42:07 am »
Keri, thanks for taking the time for this week's updates.... from one who also walks the same shoes you do in "caregiving" for another relative........ It takes someone genuinely special to do so... hang in there.  :-*

Well, we have ANiversaries (btw, special shout out to JoeF for his 4 yr post-surgical ANniversary as well........)... those with treatments... those in follow ups.... well, here's a special continued wellness wishes for all. 

For those traveling to CHI this week, safe and good travels to you.  Will see you there and as it stands, hopefully bringing my laptop with me for real-time updates and photo uploads. 

Keri, the symposium is once every 2 years (not annual) and rumor (ok, my heavily-relied spies) tell me the next one is already in the works.

Have a good week all!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 12:17:26 pm »
It's not on the calendar and not AN, but middle daughter Elbee is having her second foot surgery tomorrow. Poor thing will be on crutches for her big trip to Chicago with Mommy. Little brother got his braces today. Hopefully the soreness will be gone before his float trip with Dad this weekend. Yup, we're having to do the divide and conquer this weekend. I think I am getting the better end of the deal.

Best wishes to everyone with procedures, appointments and follow-ups. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 01:11:49 pm »
Keri ~

Thanks again for resuming your weekly AN update.

Of course, the 19th annual AN symposium is the big news this week and I know that not only will much useful information be forthcoming from that gathering but that a good time will be had by all the forumites that will be attending.  I wonder if they'll be in the next edition of 'Notes'?  

My wishes for a successful BAHA procedure for Brenda (teff) and the reward of enhanced hearing to Mike (mikjul1) as he has his new BP100 activated.  

Of course we all wish Lois a good follow-up visit based on a 'clean' MRI scan.  

Happy 0ne-year surgery anniversary to Patrick (txsooner).  His recovery is impressive and applauded.  

We all regret that Bob (stoneaxe) won't be paddling in the 2nd annual Cape Cod Challenge as he intended but he'll be there rooting for the paddlers and doing what he can for this worthy fund-raiser.  Bob will likely be heard saying (with a smile): 'Wait till next year!'  ;)

Congratulations to RJ as he graduates from the U.S. Navy boot camp (that is the proper name).  This is a notable accomplishment.  Lori and her husband are no doubt justifiably proud of their son's achievement.  We hope it's a great day for his graduation!

If I've overlooked anyone, I apologize and hope all of our AN friends are doing well, whatever they're doing.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:11:51 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

suboo73

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 06:45:28 pm »
... in honor of the 19th (19th, really???) ANA Symposium (wish I were going!)
Keri

Keri - (You are not alone...wish i were going to!  Let's plan on the next one, OK?)
Another amazing update - thanks!
---------------------------------------
Brenda & Mike - best wishes for BAHA procedures/activations - can't wait to learn the results!
Lois - may your trip to the TOG be uneventful with a good follow-up report!
Happy Anniversary, Patrick - wow, has it been a year already?
Bob - i know you will miss paddling this round - it will be even more sweeter when you are back in the water again!

Lori & family - give RJ hugs and best wishes for his boot camp graduation! God Bless him and all those who serve.
----------------------------------------
May i add one more to the list for this week?  Many thoughts and prayers to Kate B. as her son has heart surgery this week in Ohio.
I pray for your son, your family and the surgeons who will make your son well again.
----------------------------------------
Sincerely,

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 07:18:41 pm »
May i add one more to the list for this week?  Many thoughts and prayers to Kate B. as her son has heart surgery this week in Ohio.
I pray for your son, your family and the surgeons who will make your son well again.

Good call. We will miss her at the Symposium too. All the best, Kate. (The blue one is in the works).

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 07:29:36 pm »
Also Julie C is having middle fossa with Dr. Gantz in Iowa on Thursday: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10245.0

More best wishes for a good surgery.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 07:46:05 pm »
sending KateB and her son BIG wellness wishes. I've been looking forward to meeting Kate after all of these years.. and will sit tight until next time.  Wellness wishes.
Phyl

Good call. We will miss her at the Symposium too. All the best, Kate. (The blue one is in the works).

Steve
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"