Author Topic: Had my follow up with the ENT surgeon today  (Read 7669 times)

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
Had my follow up with the ENT surgeon today
« on: August 07, 2009, 06:24:19 pm »
Surgery was 10 weeks ago, and the first hearing follow up was today.  They gave me an in depth hearing test. (frequencies, volume, speech discrimination).

First thing he said when I walked in the room after reviewing the results was "you have an angel on your shoulder".  He was floored by the hearing I retained, and told me that they were sure I would be SSD when closing me up.  He told me 3 times that I must have an angel.  I thanked him profusely for his excellent work.  I suspect luck and good fortune were on my side, but I know all too well how huge a part that the surgeon's skill plays into the results too.  I guess the 'luck' part of it comes in that even *they* were surprised.  He said I have "normal" hearing in my AN ear.  I laughed and told him that no-it was far from normal.  He clarified to say that yes, it's much different than my 'good' ear, but that it falls within the 'normal' range.  I have some high frequencies that drop off on that side, but most were good.

I'm done with doctors/medical appts until early October, when I'll receive my first MRI following my surgery.  I don't expect any surprises, as the neurosurgeon said he's confident he got it all.

Couldn't be happier.  The results have exceeded my expectations tenfold. Although I'll never quite be the same after going through something like this (it changes you emotionally, etc), it's 'back to normal' in all aspects.  Been running, kayaking, exercising, swimming, bike riding......you name it, I'm game!

Thanks for all of the support, question answering, and shoulders to cry on over the last few months.  Some of it was hard to hear, but I was thankful to have the option/knowledge.  I think this group has an amazing attitude, and I hope over the years to be able to provide hope to others going through this.  It wasn't fun, but it's possible to come out of this A-OK. 

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Kathy M

• Kathy
Re: Had my follow up with the ENT surgeon today
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 07:06:11 pm »
Wow, Adrienne, that's such great news.  Glad to hear that you are doing so well and over such a short period of time.   A very nice poster child for terrific outcomes.  I think that there are such valuable life lessons we need to learn through this journey, too.  Thanks for sharing.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 07:35:08 pm »
It wasn't fun, but it's possible to come out of this A-OK. 

That about says it! :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 08:39:18 pm »
  He said I have "normal" hearing in my AN ear.  I laughed and told him that no-it was far from normal.  He clarified to say that yes, it's much different than my 'good' ear, but that it falls within the 'normal' range.  I have some high frequencies that drop off on that side, but most were good.

WOW :o Adrienne!!!

That is astonishing hearing results for a tumor of that size!

That is actually amazing! Was that in Vancouver BC Canada (not Washington State)? … Must be as you spelt color with a “u”.  Gee I should have gone back home to Canada to do mine … and just reapplied for BC med. (I will not even start in the medical insurance hassles I have had here)

No kidding- angels on your shoulder is right! That is excellent! I do not think I have read of anyone with a 3cm AN tumor (with a 3cm Meningioma maybe) retain hearing.

Congratulations to you and your amazing surgeons.

WOW!

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 09:44:00 pm »
Adrienne ~

I'm extremely pleased to learn of all the good news you received at your follow-up exam.  The kind of results you've had are immensely encouraging to those who are newly diagnosed and fearful of the future.  Thanks for sharing your happiness with us.  I know you'll enjoy a very rewarding life from this point on.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 10:27:23 pm »
Adrienne:

It is indeed amazing that you've retained your hearing. It makes me very happy to that you've had such a good outcome. It will certainly be very encouraging for the newbies to know of your seccessful outcome. Congratulations!!

I see that you had retrosig surgery. Please tell me that you've also remained headache free.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 10:46:45 pm »
Thanks everyone!  I think it's pretty amazing too!

DHM-Yes, Vancouver, BC.  Good catch on the colour spelling! :-)  Seriously, these surgeons really are awesome.  I phoned around to their patients prior to the surgery, and everyone spoke very highly of them (although, I admit, I think I'm the only one with this much hearing left!!!).  Sorry about the hassles you've had.  As if you need that on top of everything else!  Definitely, definitely, if you hear of someone in the same boat you were in, I would recommend them coming back to see this team of surgeons (Vancouver General Hospital)

Syl-Yes, Retrosigmoid.  I was worried about the headaches too, and specifically asked my neurosurgeon about them when he said he wanted to do this type of surgery.  He very confidently said "My patients do not get headaches".  I didn't entirely believe him, but I liked his confidence.  I had headaches regularly for at least the first month (probably more like 7 weeks) and was worried they were 'part of my new life'.  Thankfully, I can't remember the last headache I got.  Weeks ago.  I'm confident now that those won't be an issue either.  I'm telling you, I'm *really* lucky.  At this point, the 'residual' effects I have from surgery are *slight* numbness on the left side of my face, although this is improving weekly.  Ringing in my ear (new since surgery), and some hearing loss.  I'm not complaining though..............

Thanks everyone for sharing my excitement!
Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 05:58:09 am »
I love it!  Bravo!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 01:32:23 pm »
No headaches? That really is great!! I'm glad for you. I hope the numbness goes away completely.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jackie

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 02:10:07 pm »
Fantastic news for you Adrienne! Besides great surgeons and your angel, you must be doing something right too!!!! So very very happy for you, wish everyone could have the same outcome! Good for you, may you always have that angel!!!
Jackie, in Oregon
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 02:06:51 pm »
Adrienne .....

I have been away for several days so just now reading your post on your hearing retention.  What wonderful news! ..... and so encouraging to others facing treatment.  Thanks for sharing this.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

joebloggs

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 02:59:25 pm »
Wow that's awesome Adrienne - well done you!  I'm so stoked for you!  Whoop whoop!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!