Author Topic: Doctor in Central MA?  (Read 2738 times)

lholl36233

Doctor in Central MA?
« on: August 06, 2009, 04:38:48 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone know of a good doctor who has done the surgery and baha implant at the same time?  I'm not having any luck at UMASS.

Thank you.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

JerseyGirl2

Re: Doctor in Central MA?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 07:04:20 pm »
I had my BAHA implant done at the same time as my translab procedure -- at House Ear in Los Angeles. This may be more the exception than the rule, as many, if not most, on this forum have had non-House surgeons who prefer to wait a period of time after the surgery -- maybe a few months or so? -- before doing the BAHA implant. I was delighted to be able to have "two surgeries in one," particularly since I live at a great distance from L.A.

But don't let that be a deal breaker. It's worth the wait, and if your doctor wants you wait a while, do what he says! People who've had the implant done later say that it's no big deal -- can be done under local or general anesthesia -- and is comparable to a dental procedure.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

lholl36233

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 02:52:54 am »
Thank you Catherine.  I'd be willing to wait a few months as long as the doctor was willing to do the BAHA surgery.  My current doctor explained the BAHA to me as if it were a conventional hearing aid ,which I understand won't help me.  It is like they are thinking, you still have one good ear, that is good enough.  They can't put themselves in our shoes.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:07:04 am »
Don't know Central MA/Worcester.... only downtown Boston... at MGH/MEEI.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"