Author Topic: Zero percent speech discrimination  (Read 10318 times)

lholl36233

Re: Zero percent speech discrimination
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 02:49:42 pm »
Today they called it a CPA tumor but I understood it not to be quite the same as an AN.  The ENT couldn't tell me if radiation was an option or not, that it was a question for the neurosurgeon.  The doctor also said to me today, "I don't know what to say?"  Does not inspire confidence.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 02:55:07 pm »
ah, ok.. got it.  AN's are one of many kinds of CPA tumors... here's a good link to possibly help you out (since the docs aren't)....

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/883090-overview

This covers many kinds of CPA tumors, including AN's..... and yes, the doc is right.. for discussions for radiation.. a neurosurgeon is definately a good start.

Back to topic, have you also researched Transear hearing device? We have users on this site that use BAHA as well as Transear.... just another to toss out here.   Regardless of what you decide to do.... here's hoping your research brings you answers... and that the docs give you answers you need as well.   Since UMASS isn't really being all that helpful to you... maybe a ride down the Pike to MEEI for a 2nd opinion... just a thought... no biggie :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lholl36233

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 03:03:16 pm »
Thank you Phyl.  Can anyone who reads this respond if they agree my doctor was not correct in his statement that the BAHA won't help me because I have no hearing nerve for it to stimulate?  I understand that is true for a conventional hearing aid but not BAHA.

It will make me feel better.   ;D
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 03:09:44 pm »
glad to help.

Jim's message here in this thread is "spot on" for the answer to the question you just asked.

« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:01:35 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: epodjn on Today at 12:51:24 PM
I'm confused. Isn'lt a cochlear implant a BAHA? Is there a difference? Please explain. I'm so new to all this.

No, a 'BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) is not a cochlear implant.  A cochlear implant replaces damaged inner ear mechanisms.  When your hearing nerve is damaged (in one ear) as with acoustic neuroma growths, the ear works just fine but the nerve that sends the signal (sound) from the ear to the brain, where it is processed, is basically inoperative. The BAHA picks up sound that hits your skull (bone), then an external processor transmits that sound to your 'good' (hearing) ear, whose nerve is undamaged.    Like any hearing device, it can't perfectly duplicate 'normal' hearing but it is an improvement and a boon to those with SSD who struggle with their hearing loss. 

Jim
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lholl36233

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 03:24:28 pm »
Would you want someone to operate on you who doesn't understand what you highlighted?

sgerrard

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 08:01:21 pm »
To be fair, a BAHA can also be used to bypass a middle ear problem and transmit sound through to the inner ear on the same side. It has multiple applications. It is not that unlikely that an ENT would be more familiar with that kind of use. (You can see info on that on the Cochlear web site).

It is the general advice of the ANA to seek out medical professionals who have experience with acoustic neuromas, for just this kind of reason. It is a relatively rare condition, and most ENTs have not seen very many.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lholl36233

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 04:13:14 am »
Thanks Steve.  An experienced ENT doesn't mean he is experienced with our condition.  I want to have the surgery with a doctor who will do the BAHA surgery at the same time.  Has anyone had this done in Central MA or will I need to go to Boston?  It would be well worth going to Boston.

lholl36233

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 05:57:14 pm »
Are you officially SSD when your speech discriminination is zero?  During the test, I could softly hear, "Say the word" but I couldn't make out the word. ???

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 08:23:37 pm »
Mike Corso,

Great website you shared there! Very helpful

Thanks DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!