Author Topic: Zero percent speech discrimination  (Read 10316 times)

lholl36233

Zero percent speech discrimination
« on: August 05, 2009, 01:30:55 pm »
Does this mean the hearing nerve is gone and the BAHA won't help you because there is no hearing nerve for it to stimulate?

This is what I was told today.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Sam Rush

Re: Zero percent speech discrimination
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 01:48:04 pm »
Do you mean zero pct on your good side??  If that's the case then you would need a cochlear implant.   If your bad side is zero, and you have a good side, then the BAHA would work for you. The BAHA transmits sound waves thru the skull from bad side to good side.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

lholl36233

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 01:49:09 pm »
Zero percent on my bad side.  My good side is 100%.  Do I need a new ENT if he thinks the BAHA won't work for me?

Thank you.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

epodjn

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 01:51:24 pm »
I'm confused. Isn'lt a cochlear implant a BAHA? Is there a difference? Please explain. I'm so new to all this.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 01:52:49 pm »
Laura ~

If your hearing nerve is destroyed, regular hearing aids won't help because they basically amplify sound.  However, the BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) works by receiving sound that is picked up by your skull and transmits it to your operative ear.  It is only used by those who are completely deaf in one ear.  You should be a candidate for this device but your doctor, ENT or Audiologist can best answer that question. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lholl36233

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 01:55:15 pm »
My ENT told me the BAHA wouldn't work because I have no hearing nerve for it to amplify.  That is not how understood by reading the posts of those who have gone through it.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 01:58:54 pm »
the baha will work for you if you have 100% in the good ear, it will pick up sounds and transfer then too the baha on the bad side.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 02:01:35 pm »
I'm confused. Isn'lt a cochlear implant a BAHA? Is there a difference? Please explain. I'm so new to all this.

No, a 'BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) is not a cochlear implant.  A cochlear implant replaces damaged inner ear mechanisms.  When your hearing nerve is damaged (in one ear) as with acoustic neuroma growths, the ear works just fine but the nerve that sends the signal (sound) from the ear to the brain, where it is processed, is basically inoperative. The BAHA picks up sound that hits your skull (bone), then an external processor transmits that sound to your 'good' (hearing) ear, whose nerve is undamaged.   Like any hearing device, it can't perfectly duplicate 'normal' hearing but it is an improvement and a boon to those with SSD who struggle with their hearing loss. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lholl36233

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 02:09:03 pm »
Thank you jazzfunkanne.  Why I am upset right now is not because of being told of zero percent speech recognization or the prospect of surgery.  I am upset having been told by an ENT who has written books on the inner ear the BAHA won't help me when my right ear is 100%.  Would you agree?

epodjn

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 02:27:22 pm »
Thanks Jim, that makes sense. I've been so frustrated with my hearing lately. I'm really considering BAHA.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 02:29:07 pm »
I understand completely with your fustration alot of ENTs just do not care about SSD people they figure well you got one good ear let them be in our shoes.if you want I will get you a clinc around you that does BAHA just give me the state you live in and I will find it on COCHlear Corps website for you if you would like or goto http://www.cochlearamericas.com/Support/find_clinic_search.asp to find one. Plus read this it will help you  http://products.cochlearamericas.com/baha/introduction-to-baha/who-can-use-baha                                Good Luck. Mike Corso
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

lholl36233

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 02:31:36 pm »
Thanks Mike.  I'll look at the link.  I'm in Massachusetts.  I asked if radiation was an option for this tumor and the doctor told me that was a question for the neurosurgeon.  Really?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 02:36:44 pm »
Thanks Mike.  I'll look at the link.  I'm in Massachusetts.  I asked if radiation was an option for this tumor and the doctor told me that was a question for the neurosurgeon.  Really?

where in MA are you? I just looked at your posting history and its not an AN but a bone pressing against the inner canal? I'm a little lost how radiation could potentially help that? Are you talking to anyone at MEEI/MGH?

Phyl
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:39:00 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lholl36233

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 02:39:14 pm »
 I'm next to Worcester in Millbury.  I go to UMASS at Lake Ave.  The link said UMASS on Belmont St. is a BAHA clinic so I might have to go there.

Thank you.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 02:45:31 pm »
Millbury.. got it.. hope you just weathered the storms ok last hour.. I saw they were nasty out there.

UMASS Med is a great place.... I thought MEEI also does BAHA as I've attended conferences there on hearing devices with a friend of mine (he's in the process of trying to invent a new cochlear hearing device)... and I've met someone local that have BAHA that I thought had it done at MEEI but I may be wrong on that one.......

But, it's not an AN but a bony piece, correct? I'm still a little confused why possible research for radiation if it's not a tumor... or, am I wrong on that? Did I misread? If I did, pls accept apologies. I'm just trying to keep it all straight, nothing more :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"